Meltdown Drags 2016

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!

For a variety of personal and medical reasons I couldn't go to the drags for the full weekend. I left home at 4:30 Sat. morning, got there at 10:00, watched races and left for home at 5:45. Got home at 11:00. It's practically non-stop at 70 MPH all the way. Not a bad trip.

There were over 600 1966 and earlier mostly period correct drag car there.

My Crosley arrived there Thursday and was entered and teched. Friday morning Dave (brown streak) my driver made the first pass along side my long time friend Terry in Tator, the shortened '28 Studebaker.

Half way down the track the Crosley went nuts, crossing the center line and almost kissing the wall. Ran a 12.60-something at 57 MPH. Needless to say, Dave parked it after the harrowing ride and when I arrived Saturday I took a look under it and couldn't see anything wrong. I thought the 4 bar urethane bushings might have cracked and loosened up. Jacked the the little fella up and one wheel was tight; wouldn't move much. The other wheel rotated back and forth about 4" and I could hear bad noises in the 3rd member. So I figure it must have shelled the spiders or the posi unit.

Thus ended the weekend of racing. Not a good showing for a car that is for sale.

I only took a few pics. The cars are so overwhelming and the racing is such a thrill to watch that I didn't spend my precious few hours running around taking pics.

A very sanitary Anglia with a full roll cage.

'32 Chevy with a 250 6 with 2 500 cfm Edelbrocks on it. 80-something year old guy from Washington state is touring the country seeing how many different drag strips he can run at in one year..
44 so far. Runs low 13's.
Chevy 6 in a Chevy AD truck. With a four speed. Runs very low 11's and it's no lightweight.

600+ cars there. All picture worthy. And this is all the shots I took. Sorry guys.

Sorry about the crosley :( as they say, "Stuff Happens"
Hope your feeling better and thanks for the pics you had time to share. [cl

Man, you're having a terrible year. (Here's to better times and better luck.)

Only three pictures but good ones! Thanks for the short tour and the "dragstrips in one year" story. Very cool.

Oh, and I'll bet "brown streak" earned himself another stripe. :eek:

I took the 4 link bars out to replace the urethane rod ends with Heim joints. This is what I found: Cracked, wallowed out urethane. I guess it can't stand up to drag racing.

I redid the four link bars and put 5/8" by 5/8" rod ends on the axle end.

And 3/4" by 5/8" rod ends on the front end.
The rear end should be mounted more positively now.

I put a spool in the 3rd member but am waiting for it to cool off before I install it. I have yet to weld new panhard brackets in place and shorten the panhard bar. This should take care of the ill-handling driver Dave experienced.

A friend, Frank went through the carb and we hope he solved the off the starting line hesitation the little wagon had.

Today I decided to put the 3rd member in the car even though my thumb was quite painful and weak. I got a little thumb brace at the clinic and put it on under a glove so it wouldn't get greasy. It cost $84.00. The darn thing took a good share of the load off the thumb joint by my wrist and I was able to get the rear end together without too much discomfort. Using a transmission jack certainly helped a lot too.

Yes, OI, I see the link quit working. You might have to Google it. Sorry.

Update: I just tried to Google the site and couldn't reach it. Hmmm???

Today I decided to put the 3rd member in the car even though my thumb was quite painful and weak. I got a little thumb brace at the clinic and put it on under a glove so it wouldn't get greasy. It cost $84.00. The darn thing took a good share of the load off the thumb joint by my wrist and I was able to get the rear end together without too much discomfort. Using a transmission jack certainly helped a lot too.

I'm so old I don't pickup anything heavier than my wallet, which is very light. Jacks, cheery picker and chain fall get lots of use these days. But had a guy in a wheel chair tell me I was lucky to be upright, point well taken. Take care bro and have fun.

Latest posts

Back