roof covering..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

thinking seriously about using some oilskin for the roof of my coupe.. instead of vinyl or some other water proof material..

I could go topless .. but the girls might like it.....[ddd

any thoughts ??

I've never been to New Zealand. What kind of animal is an Oil and how many skins would it take to do a roof?:rolleyes:

Anything but vinyl. It would be nifty if you made a solid piece that could be removed when you wanted.

I need something for mine. The heat is horrendous during the day, cruising the bars at night is the best option. :D

Maybe a roll bar fitted above the gas tank, and something simple that clips onto that and a bar above the screen. Maybe a simple hard piece, or something flexible.

11705149_10205965370227811_4026593944783705116_n_zps4ytvgdmd.jpg

I've never been to New Zealand. What kind of animal is an Oil and how many skins would it take to do a roof?:rolleyes:

man are they difficult to catch ,, nocturnal and they are only up for a few hours each night to forage,,.. bout the size of a decent rabbit , similar to look at-not a hare, they live in burrows up to 1/2 a mile long and as much as 100yards deep !!

reckon i'll need around 30-35 , which is a problem as I don't want too much stitching, otherwise my roof will look like a blanket my Grandma made... :)

Thanks Exador and Earthman,, have a supplier here for around $39 a meter (yard) at about 60inches wide that should enough ,

Ex will contact your lead as finding often cheaper to buy US and ship than local

King Herald good looking PU !

this PU is a NZ truck and for sale thought I'd add a pic - the roof is hand made similar to a carson top and removable .. may be an ideas to start with ?

crate

Attachments

• 362871144[1].jpg
    362871144[1].jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 31
Yes, something like that roof would work for me 23crate, could be an idea.

As for oil skin, I've never used it. Naugahyde was common once, made from the skin of baby naugas, but hunted into extinction now.

Picture I came across on the internet, don't know anything about it. Just something that caught my eye and thought I might be able to utilize the top idea in a future project.

Attachments

• Hard top 23 T1.jpg
    Hard top 23 T1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 43
a jeep bikini top?
its black canvas type stuff
and they are short and maybe the right width
i am getting ready to cut one up and make a fake sunroof cover for my 27

a jeep bikini top?
its black canvas type stuff
and they are short and maybe the right width
i am getting ready to cut one up and make a fake sunroof cover for my 27

good idea, thanks ,, I need it to be around 52" square to fit ,, width/length

Picture I came across on the internet, don't know anything about it. Just something that caught my eye and thought I might be able to utilize the top idea in a future project.

That looks almost exactly like my car would with such a roof on. Might be an idea, a full removable top. Either you fit it and drive, or leave it at home, and live with the consequences, have to make the decision ahead of time. :D

Latest posts

Back