Home away from home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Work

It's going to be a lot of fun to use all that fancy stuff.
For the cooler, 1/2" styrofoam and squirt on seam sealer foam.[S
#twocentsworth

[cl[cl

For the cooler: How about an aluminum box with a drain, that has a bit of space between it and the wooden box. Say an inch. Then use that foam in a spray-can stuff to fill the space between the two boxes. Make sure the welds are good, because it ain't coming out once its in there. :D

It's going to be a lot of fun to use all that fancy stuff.
For the cooler, 1/2" styrofoam and squirt on seam sealer foam.[S
#twocentsworth

[cl[cl

I have a bunch of 1/4 foam board left from my roofing projects. I plan to put several layers of that in, then I have some of that cooler liner bubble wrap foil stuff.... Going to put that on top. Just need to figure out what I am going to do to seal the door.....

For the cooler: How about an aluminum box with a drain, that has a bit of space between it and the wooden box. Say an inch. Then use that foam in a spray-can stuff to fill the space between the two boxes. Make sure the welds are good, because it ain't coming out once its in there. :D

Neighbor suggested something of that sort. I can't weld aluminum though, and the previous idea sounds much cheaper and easier, so I am going to try that first.

Got the new pieces sealed up, just want to put some clear coat stuff on the fold out counter top yet...

IMG_20150516_224153_537_zpsugz0u4at.jpg

Have you been on your first outing this year?
The carpet and new things you've done will make it even nicer to stay in.

Have you been on your first outing this year?
The carpet and new things you've done will make it even nicer to stay in.

Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but hoping maybe in a couple weeks. With the wife being pregnant not sure how much we will be able to take it out this year. Hoping for at least a couple trips. Right now I am trying to get it finished up to take to Billetproof with us in June. Might take it out camping one night before then.

OK!!!!

Bag valves now able to be controlled from inside the rat. Battery Charging connected also to work while towing it. Cooler insulated and has a latch on it. Pulled out to have a look.

IMG_20150525_182856_334_zpsxclpfgto.jpg

IMG_20150525_182822_307_zpswppimmzg.jpg

IMG_20150526_154032_364_zpszhbxxfaa.jpg

We are now ready for our next camping adventure.

enjoyed the thread, That is awesome, I don't camp but might build one for the heck of it... nice work on both rat and nest. "Rats Nest"

Glad you enjoyed it. This seems to be most peoples favorite thing I have built. I had a lot of fun building it, and the couple times I have gotten to take it out and use it have been a blast! I am not much of a camper either, but my wife enjoys it so this was mainly for her. It is fun to take to shows, and one of the best things is that it doesn't weigh much so it can be pulled by about anything. Since it does fit a queen size mattress it isn't bad to sleep in.

Took it out Friday night!!! It never disappoints! New additions work great! Cooler was still cold in the morning! Even the modified grill works great with the new additions though slightly awkward with it that low to the ground now! People of the park loved it!

IMG_20150529_195731_840_zpsbuunyu62.jpg

IMG_20150529_201803_650_zpsturmjzsj.jpg

Latest posts

Back