I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0116trk0001.jpg

I flipped the garage furnace on in the morning and finally got it above freezing so I did a bit of work. Here's the crossmember I made to locate the wishbone end. The black parts are a reproduction '32-'34 Ford wishbone mount kit.

2009_0116trk0004.jpg

Some 3" discs were cut out of 1/8" steel plate with a hole saw and tacked on to the front of the side frames.

2009_0116trk0003.jpg

With a saber saw (miserable work) I cut the friction shocks out of 3/16" aluminum plate. There will be a rubber or leather disc sandwiched between the steel disc and the aluminum arm and tension will be maintained with a locknut. The arm will connect to the axle with 3/8" heim joints and the correct length shaft. A tab will be welded on the top of the axle.

2009_0117trk0006.jpg

The rear crossmember is 1 3/4" tubing. I spread the frame rails apart a bit to create shoulder room when the roll bar is installed.
Does anyone on RRR know the length of a slant six? or where I can look it up?

I raced @ KCIR and the HAMB cars were there....they do look like alot of fun.

Good luck with the build....these cars are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Up on the tire...the only way to go. Heres mine testing at a local track before the race in Kansas.

Attachments

• big.jpg
    big.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 126
I don't know how I missed this thread Bob, but this is going to be one of the most exciting builds on here. I love the concept, inexpensive fun the way it used to be done. These nostalgia cars are the very best. We went to the Nostalgia Drags a few months ago and it was so much cooler than normal drag racing. I've posted a few pictures to whet your appetite.

You are moving right along, and have to be excited to take that first run down the strip. :D You HAVE to do a video and post it on Youtube so we can all take that ride with you. I have the itch to race again and as soon as my '39 Dodge truck is out of the way I am going to start putting some of the stashed parts I have together into a little Altered.

This is gonna be sooooooooooo cool. Now get out into the garage and get this thing together. :)

Don

nostalgiadrags023-1.jpg

nostalgiadrags030-1.jpg

nostalgiadrags035-1.jpg

2009_0118trk0002.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration, Don. I remember when you posted after going to the event. I've been to some Goodguys drag events and a few others. Way more fun than a pure car show. I sure don't need another drag car. I have the Crosley and an Anglia that is almost race legal. But, I have this uncontrolable urge to build stuff and a HA/GR seemed like a fun thing to build. Not expensive either. This morning I made the plates that will be welded to the rear end and bolted to the frame rails.

2009_0118trk0001.jpg

There are thick wall tubes welded in the frame to prevent crushing when the 5/8" bolts are tightened. I have since made some 1 1/2" holes in the plates to make them a little "prettier" and a tiny bit lighter too. Sure wish I had the engine and trans to build around. I'm worried about making a mistake that will require a lot of rework when I get those items. The truck the engine and trans in is way back in the snowbound junkyard. It will be a while before I can get them.
There is a HA/GR dragster from Florida that tows to MoKan every August. Maybe the Donsrods Racing Team will build one too.:D

Last edited:
2009_0122trk0001.jpg

I brought the borrowed tubing bender home today. Got some 2 by 8's and lagscrewed the bender to them. I made a very long (rusty in pic) cheater bar because I am old, short and weak and I'm bending 1 1/2" O.D. .133" wall mild steel.

24dodge, I've been watching that engine on Craigslist for a while now. Waiting for him to come down in price.

2009_0122trk0003.jpg

I read the instructions, Then I read 'em again, and again. Finally, I bent a test piece. It went well and didn't take too much force. It made a very nice bend with no crushing of kinking. It was time to figure out how to make two bends and get the correct distance between them. So I read the instructions a bunch more times. Finally, I made the hoop for the firewall. And I got it the right size!

2009_0122trk0002.jpg

I made a few more pieces before calling it a day. Tomorrow I'll borrow a jig for angle cutting the tubes where they meet, then I can continue. The Kirkey seat will be cut down to look a bit more "vintage". And the tape line is the angle the shoulder tube will run. I sure am enjoying this.

Last edited:
Huryinhoosier, you need to tell me more about your dragster. You can do it my this thread. No problem, I'm very interested in all FED's.

Latest posts

Back