Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
He's not done yet...

OK so ummmmm............. correct me if I am wrong but............. unless you use some sort of controller to watch for a code........ what stops some one from just turning on all the switches and starting and driving away???? A switch to a relay feeding another switch would just be like running a wire from one switch to another switch and so on and so forth. Soooo that being said all you would have to do is turn on all the switches no matter what code is that you set up.

If you were to use an adruino, or PIC, or Basic Stamp micro-controller you could write a program to have it watch for the code to come on in the right order, left to right or right to left or whatever. Once it sees the code in the right order it will energize the relay to activate the start button. Otherwise if the wrong switch is flipped it will just lock out the start button and force you to start over until the right code is entered.

Lot of work but could be a lot of fun if you are good with electronics. Might be neat to put in an old phone number pad and dial a number to start your rig.

My 41 Dodge
OldWing
YZ125 Barstool
The Lambretta LI125 "Original Ganster"
Bertha '54 Chevy 210
Home Away From Home "The Teardrop"
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM
"Thereís nothing new in originality"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverdone View Post
OK so ummmmm............. correct me if I am wrong but............. unless you use some sort of controller to watch for a code........ what stops some one from just turning on all the switches and starting and driving away????
With a SPDT switch you cant just turn it "on" because it has two and one will be "wrong".So each switch will have two posibilities x's how ever many switches.

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"
Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 AM
He's not done yet...

duhhhh!!!!!! didn't think of that!!! LOL

My 41 Dodge
OldWing
YZ125 Barstool
The Lambretta LI125 "Original Ganster"
Bertha '54 Chevy 210
Home Away From Home "The Teardrop"
Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

If you used a SPST switch and just flipped over the "off" ones so that even they are "on", then it would not be possible to do the turn all on trick. However, you can still just put a jumper from the input wire to the output wire and bypass the whole thing. Not exactly more secure than a key.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.