1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that's mosquito netting you're going to need a shot gun to kill the bugs in your neighborhood.[ddd

Our mosquitoes wear leather jackets and have been reported to carry off small children. :eek: :p

Great progress Doc. Whassup with the netting?

B-tard is (among other things) a golf fitter. He fits and builds custom golf clubs to exacting specifications. The netting you see serves to contain high-speed balls (that doesn't sound right) when the customer cranks off a batch. (That doesn't sound right, either.)

attachment.php
:D:D

Attachments

• mosquitoe.jpg
    mosquitoe.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 82
Some progress:

With winter fast approaching, we thought it wise to collect some donor parts. (A junkyard crawl in January has long ago lost its appeal.)

We now have a pair of seats from a "Taco Truck" (Toyota Tacoma). They're narrow enough and with the headrests removed, they suit the project as well as we can expect for late model donors. (I really, really hate highback seats in cars of this era. They stick out like a sore, something. Right, zz?)

Since these are in such nice shape, we think we're going to leave them as is, rather than recover. So, I guess the interior will be a mix of greys, black, silver and chrome.

attachment.php

Literally diving deeper, we found it necessary to lower the seat considerably. We cut the Taco mounts off and gained what we needed, except for one corner. There's a big lump in our way, so we cut a chunk out...

attachment.php

The cure, nearly finished...

attachment.php

The passenger seat will require the same treatment, I'm sure.

We also have some things from a second generation S10, namely a brake assembly and throttle pedal. We fit those items, together and separately, which takes us to the firewall and the scene of a crime...

attachment.php

As seen above, we had to crush a rib to mount the booster... and the horrid mess I made some time ago, when I discovered my sight problem. :mad:

Rib surgery complete, drilled for the booster and my scabby scab work cleaned up.

attachment.php

Booster and MC mounted...

attachment.php

Pedals mounted, sort of. The throttle is fine, but our recessed box interferes with the brake pedal. We expected that and I'll have to create something to clear...

attachment.php

Attachments

• seat4.jpg
    seat4.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 47
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 48
  • seat6.jpg
    seat6.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 48
  • pedals6 firewall.JPG
    pedals6 firewall.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 48
  • pedals6.jpg
    pedals6.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 48
  • pedals3.jpg
    pedals3.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 48
  • pedals2.JPG
    pedals2.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Seats look like a good fit! (yes headrests are uncool..:)) I usually look for a decent pair from the boneyard thinking to leave them as is but by the time fab work is done, they have a million little weld spark holes....
Booster looks like it was meant to be there. [cl
Maybe just whack one side of the recessed box down, 4 bolts to retain the column mount may be overkill? Having to redo stuff sucks, but if we got everything perfect on the first try we'd probably be building rockets :rolleyes:
Oh wait, they blow up sometimes....:(

Last edited:
I appreciate your comments, guys. :D

Yes, the seats are like new and they're already a pain in the ass. Keeping them clean and burn free is a challenge, so I'm going to wrap them with a "fire resistant" fabric until the fab work is done.

The recessed box was made to go with the adapted donor flange, but since you mentioned it zz, I can probably chew a good chunk of it off. That's looking like my best option, because the pedal is perfect... except for the fact it can't function! :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Dr C, they sell a lower mount that is basically a half ball and a slim bracket to hold it to the firewall. With your fab skills, I think if you took a look at the pic of one, you could fab up something similar.

Dr C, they sell a lower mount that is basically a half ball and a slim bracket to hold it to the firewall. With your fab skills, I think if you took a look at the pic of one, you could fab up something similar.

That's not going to happen, Bama.

We have many hours invested in the column, which is a hybrid mix of '64 Chevy and '82 Olds Toronado. The Toro parts consist of an inner sleeve, double D shaft and the flange section, which also houses the bearing and seal...

attachment.php

Long story short, I'm not changing several things to suit the brake pedal. I'll either modify the box and flange, or reshape the pedal. I should know for sure tomorrow...

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 38
I hate to bring this up, but maybe the most elegant solution would be to extend the column so the mounting flange is on the floor like it its designed to be...

After I went back and looked, I think you are right ZZ. I forgot the column was too short to go through the firewall, hence the "box". Extending it will solve both problems.

Latest posts

Back