street legal jalopy/vintage fenderless oval race car 1940lSH MOPAR tribute to DAD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your expert experience.
bbe09b936e.jpg

I don't let anyone work on my projects except my Son in-law and Grandsons.
I offered to trade out labor one time. A friend of mine kept wanting to help on my 33 so, I told him I'd reposition the fittings on his aluminum radiator if he would grind where I welded in the doors.
He told me on numerous occasions how good he was at this and body work. After he ground through a foot and a half of the body line around the right rear wheel , I ran him off :mad: :mad: :mad:
It took me 2 hours to cut out and replace it :(
Lesson learned. We're still friends :) but, he's no longer a consideration as help.

Yeah.... gotta watch those 'experts'... wiring is no joke, I hope you got it all corrected or can can haunt you down the road, been there, stranded and ended up rewiring an entire camaro over an attempt at a keykess entry.... SHeeze....

thanks ZZ,

thing is ZZ, he did the wiring on both his 35 fords and it was a fantastic job, that is why l figured he could do a simple one and not mess it up, some people do great work for themselves and do a halfass job on everybody else's stuff when asked to help.

Later :cool:

You know usually it's the other way around for me. Not really half assed, but it seems I spend more time and attention to detail on someone else's ride.

loaded

wish me luck. going Saturday to the first car show the for her,

wish she was running, but at least we will be there.

stuck the tail lights on to see how they look on the car.

pics of my friend who works at the parts store, she is one of the best parts people l ever saw, she can find parts for all my junk when no one else can and the car at the free car wash getting clean for the show.

SIDE NOTE: went to the HAMB to update and they deleted my thread for not being traditional enough, huh, guess l dreamed all of the racing with these style cars and races l attended in the 6O's & 7O's:rolleyes:

SIDE NOTE 2: l took the car to a friend whom l have know since l was 8 or 9 years old and he is in his 7O's now. he raced with dad in the days when these cars ran the old 1/2 mile dirt track and he actually teared up when he looked at the car and the first words out of his mouth were "that is a jalopy!!". S0 it looks like we nailed the exact look we were going for. Mr.D said l made his day and brought back a ton of good memories.

Dad would be proud.

will put up some pics from the show.

Attachments

• DSC02446.jpg
    DSC02446.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC02447.jpg
    DSC02447.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC02449.jpg
    DSC02449.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02451.jpg
    DSC02451.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02452.jpg
    DSC02452.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC02453.jpg
    DSC02453.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC02454.jpg
    DSC02454.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02456.jpg
    DSC02456.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02458.jpg
    DSC02458.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 41
show

show went good, lots of positive comments and a lot of folks are wanting to see her painted and lettered/numbered.

Attachments

• DSC02459.jpg
    DSC02459.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02460.jpg
    DSC02460.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02468.jpg
    DSC02468.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02466.jpg
    DSC02466.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 54
Who gives a flying flip what the dipsticks from the HAMB thinks?
The best part of RRR is you can build what you want/like and the
guys here won't rag on you unless it's really a danger to the public.
I like it! Fire that puppy up and let the mud fly!!

photoflop

insert voice of comic book guy ''worst photshop ever''[P

but it gives me rough idea what it could look like with paint.

if some one could clean this mess up l would be SO appreciative .

Attachments

• DSC02398.jpg
    DSC02398.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Great job Skull. Takes me back to when I was a kid, watching my aunt and uncle racing similar cars at the fairgrounds. Don't even give a thought to what those dipsticks on the Hamb think about it.

good news

they say things happen for a reason, even if we don't know the reason why.[S

the car show in Elma this summer we parked across the street from the radio broadcast/DJ/music booth and "Spody" was the DJ . he works at the local radio station and with the local dirt track owners and was enthralled by the car, he has dirt track racing roots and is going to work with me to market the car for events in 2O15.

he is requesting a spot on the car for advertising, like DUH, something from him is going on the car.

he works with MAKE A WISH and other fund raising organizations. we are trying to set up rides at the local dirt track for the kids and adults to go out on the track and make some laps in the passenger side and raise some money for those in need.

l just got done talking to him for an hour about it and also a possibility for some remote broadcasts with the car. l am hoping for the best and to see where it goes.

NOW the pressure is on to finish this thing for spring [;)[;)

makes me feel good inside to able to help others and someone else outside the "family" can see the vision for her:D

Later:cool:

Attachments

• DSC02459.jpg
    DSC02459.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 56
Wow skull! I just saw your ad on Portland Craigslist. I thought I recognized that car. I'll be watching for you at local events. Hats off to you and this fine work.

Nice connection, good to see the car out and about.

yay, l just gotta get so it moves under her own power, still got some brake, wiring and odds & ends, need to get a driveshaft shortend. when l removed the way they modified the rear leaf springs and replaced them with a stock set to remove the wedge it changed the driveshaft length.

Last edited:
update

still making progress but having to work within the tight budget l have slows things down a bunch.

me and my buddy's are tired of trying to fix that mess the "pro" left us with, so l saved up some $$$ to buy a new 12 circuit wiring harness and rip out most of that crap & start fresh.

sometimes when ya try to save money it will cost you more in the longrun:(

but live and learn, we shoulda went with the new harness from the get go.

Attachments

• 12 circuit harness.JPG
    12 circuit harness.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back