Bertha

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any luck on the visor? Those things seem to be real expensive especialy a complete one.

From the "For what it's worth file".......
More thoughts about your chop if you still are thinking about doing one....
It appears that another way to chop the top and still keep the stock wrap rear glass is to just slide the whole rear window section forward to meet the new roof line. No "Laying down" envolved. Then you make a filler panel to extend the area between the window and the trunk lid.
Those roof have a very high crown to them and unless you are going to do a real hard chop this should work as what it would do is push the upper edge of the rear glass into the roof line.
I know that this works on the Hardtops. It may work for you as well.
Torchie.

I REALLY WANT TO CHOP IT!!! But am equally as scared that I won't be able to get it to line back up and work and still look right and be smooth.

I REALLY WANT TO CHOP IT!!! But am equally as scared that I won't be able to get it to line back up and work and still look right and be smooth.

I hear you Neverdone.
But to me cars are easier to chop than truck cabs. With the car you have a longer area to blend,shape and contour into the rear window to achieve the flow that you want. Not so with trucks.
I have spent more time on the top of my truck chop than any of the cars that I have done or helped on.
Of course it could just be me getting old.....:eek:
There are a number of ways that you could approach this chop. Pick one and go at it.;)
If you weren't so far from me I would gladly come down and lend you a hand.
Who knows. Maybe we could get Dirtyrat and some one else and throw a chopping party.[cl
Torchie.

Not to bug you about this Neverdone......[ddd [ddd [ddd
But take a close look at this one.
I would be willing to bet that they moved the whole rear window forward and lengthened the panel between the body line and the trunk.
Torchie.

Attachments

• 54chevy_chop2.jpg
    54chevy_chop2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 55
You are right Bama. Not every car. Just this one.[ddd
Torchie.

Guess you got a point there. I could think of a few others that don't need it either...... Honda Civic, Yugo, ehhhh.... eeemmmmmmm....... Cadillac Limos... Pontiac Aztec..... Guess yeah there are a lot of cars that don't need chops....

Probably wouldn't chop an Edsel either. :rolleyes:

Just yanking your chain Neverdone. [ddd It's refreshing sometimes to see one that hasn't been chopped, yet has a lot of details you might otherwise miss.....

All this Chop Talk has me itching to lower the roof on my 1950:eek:

Nice work, makes me look like slop welder. IMO a lot of work for 2" [S

I can't watch the video as my internet is for ****.
These cars are not a real complicated chop. Most of the work is in the back 1/3 of the roof. In neverdones instant the biggest issue is using the stock rear window which can be done as shown by the pic that I posted.

But as soltz pointed out it's the same amount of welding and grinding [;)[;)[;) regardless of the amount.

The reason for the 4" chop on my project was that 2-3" didn't really look like much had been done. 4"' gave me the much sought after 2/3's below the belt line-1/3 above the beltline ratio and really balances out the cab. After all making it look better is the real reason behind the first customized cars way back when.......
Torchie

I haven't decided how much I am going to chop it yet. Still trying to figure that out. Haven't even pushed it in the shop yet anyway. Much to do before then. Just want it in there before snow flies.

UPS grunted and groaned as they dropped off my big box of stuff. I must say I was pretty impressed with the quality of the crap that was in the box. Looks like a kit I would definitely buy again if I ever needed too.

and the steel for the rear frame modification will be in friday. Gettin all my stuff lined up. Feels good. Much better approach than there was on the dodge. I like this build plan, much better than fixing up some one else' pile of crap.

and the steel for the rear frame modification will be in friday. Gettin all my stuff lined up. Feels good. Much better approach than there was on the dodge. I like this build plan, much better than fixing up some one else' pile of crap.

I understand the fixing up another s pile of crap LOL:D

Picked up the steel last night for my C-Notch. Got it from a new source this time, much cheaper and much better steel. Pretty stoked about that.

Latest posts

Back