1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dash will look great. It is so close to the same vintage that only the well informed will notice. Many will scratch their heads... I'm using a '56 ford PU dash in my '38 It looks great, but is in-your-face obvious that it didn't get there at the factory. I love this game!

Third row seats from a Suburban are 48" wide. Door to door in my 38. Watch the back thickness on these if you need leg room. The later ones are almost two inches thicker than the earlier ones, and fit a little different causing them to use another inch or so. I had to say no to a very nice leather seat form a 2k+ "Bourbon" and go back to the early 90s one. But it is like new, too. i have a nice blanket to hide it with, so no worry.
Yes and no klink.
When you look at the pic you can see that the Olds seat bottom is much thicker than the newer GMC. And even though the backs are about the same thickness the Olds are wider. With this cab being chopped and channeled every inch of space counts.
I really want to run a bench seat but am using what I have. If I come across a older mini van 3rd seat for cheap I can still switch them out as mounting and upholstery are a ways off yet. And the mini van seat won't really change the seating position much if any.
Thanks for looking in......
Torchie.

Third row seats from a Suburban are 48" wide. Door to door in my 38. Watch the back thickness on these if you need leg room. The later ones are almost two inches thicker than the earlier ones, and fit a little different causing them to use another inch or so. I had to say no to a very nice leather seat form a 2k+ "Bourbon" and go back to the early 90s one. But it is like new, too. i have a nice blanket to hide it with, so no worry.

Exactly Skip. Thanks for the measurement.
Most likely I would look for a mini van 3rd seat and not a suburban.
I believe that the mini van seats tend to be a little wider as well. Some thing from the early 90's out of a Plymouth most likely. Very thin seat bottoms and backs.
I might just check in with the local yard to see what they have and how much.
Everything on CL near me is like you talked about. Way to upscale.$$$$$:D
Torchie.

First 3 days of this week will be busy with Dr's visit's including a Dr supervised sleep over.[cl
But in the spirit of full disclosure here are some pics of the OTHER dash option that I have.
Pics 1-4. Stone stock 1941 Ford car dash from the donor wreck that started this whole shebang.
There are some plus's and minus's to using this dash as compared to the 50 Ford custom dash.
On the plus side: Most likely a closer fit to the cab. Fits the style of the build better. Would drive the old Ford guys crazy trying to figure out what the heck this truck is and how come they have never seen one.[ddd
Save the 50 custom dash for another build.:D

On the minus side: Well it's just not as flashy. In the day, the custom guys would take the 41-48 dash's out and get them chrome plated. But since I will be welding this one in that's not an option. They also replaced the the trim plate with colored plexiglass to match their custom made knobs.

Pic 5 is just a reminder of the other dash.

So there you have it.
See you all later.......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 24
You're a busy bee Torchie! I'm sold on the Custom Dash...lol

How soon do you need to get rid of those seats from that olds? I think they may need to be in my 50 chevy..lol... what did they come out of?

You're a busy bee Torchie! I'm sold on the Custom Dash...lol

How soon do you need to get rid of those seats from that olds? I think they may need to be in my 50 chevy..lol... what did they come out of?

Seats were from a 62 Olds Cutlass convert. Notice the past tense as they sold in about an hour.[cl
The car was trashed but the seats were kept inside so they were nice.

It's funny because I had them on CL last spring for the same price and got no responses.[S
Never the wrong price. Just the wrong time.

I know that most people will want me to use the custom dash CC and I may. Just weighing out my options.....
Torchie.

I dunno...I've always had a thing for rectangular gauges.

They're both cool. I like the idea of saving the custom for the next project, because I'm addicted to building vicariously through you guys.

-Chaz

I like the custom idea. It's such a sweet looking dash and I for one don't
care for square or rectangular gauges.
My opinion and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
Which one do you like is the question.
Keep hammering on it.

I like the custom idea. It's such a sweet looking dash and I for one don't
care for square or rectangular gauges.
My opinion and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
Which one do you like is the question.
Keep hammering on it.

That is the question of courase POPS. Problem being that I could use either asd be happy....sort of.;)
The idea behind this build was/is a certain period style of custom. My original plan was to use a 41 Ford truck cab that proved to be beyond salvage except for someone like smallfoot.:D The use of the 41 car hood and fenders is what really identifies this build.
The cab really doesn't identify it as being a 1952 F-6. Could be a 1948 as well unless you know your F-1's. So by using the 41 car dash it helps to identify it as a 41..
The interesting part is that the custom that gave me the inspiration for mine was built in 1957 but is called by many a "Pre war" custom due to the fact that it is based on a pre war production date vehicle.
That's the LOOOONG answer. The short one is ,. Does any of it really matter to anyone but me....[S
Torchie.

Sounds like you would like us to talk you into the 50 dash and i would agree [cl
My other thought was who knows when the next project might come along [S
What ever you decide it will be great. [cl

Kinda like we say at the pool table when your partner asks which ball he should shoot....I'll say you might want to shoot at one you can make!
It'll come to you Torchie. I know every time you look at either one, ideas form and one of those passes by will start a plan. You'll pick it up and put it in by whatever it takes. And likely as not, it will be the one you like the best....

Sounds like you would like us to talk you into the 50 dash and i would agree [cl
My other thought was who knows when the next project might come along [S
What ever you decide it will be great. [cl

You are right about the next project soltz. One never knows.........

My sticking point is that if i was building a straight on rat I would use the dash in a heart beat and if I was building a custom that was based on a complete F series truck I would use it as well. Just not quite sure that it will enhance the looks of the period of customs that I am striving for.
So for now my plan is to strip out the 41 car dash and set it up there to see what it looks like.
It's notlike I'm puttimg it in tomorrow.
Torchie.

Kinda like we say at the pool table when your partner asks which ball he should shoot....I'll say you might want to shoot at one you can make!
It'll come to you Torchie. I know every time you look at either one, ideas form and one of those passes by will start a plan. You'll pick it up and put it in by whatever it takes. And likely as not, it will be the one you like the best....

I hear you smallfoot. Either one would work just a matter of how much work.....

So before I split for my medical sleep over I stripped out the 41 car dash and proped it up sort of in place.
Definately not the WOW factor of the 50 custom dash but it has it's points as well.
Of course I could go the easy route and just use what's there with a little filling and perhaps a tu-tone paint scheme.:) ;)
After I get back tomorrow the plan is to get back to the body work on the cab as the weather is supposed to be in the 70's all the rest of the week.
Good temp to hit it all with epoxy primer again.
See you tomorow.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 28
Realizing my vote counts for nothing, I like the stock dash in those trucks.

A medical sleep over then bodywork. Wow, sure sounds like a lot of fun. Gonna be a really nice rod. I would like to see it in person some day.

I'm with Bob. The stock dash looks right to me and it's in place already.
I must of missed something some where back up the road. I thought
there was a problem with the original.

Have a nice nap! I can guarantee if I had to do that I wouldn't sleep 15 minutes.

Realizing my vote counts for nothing, I like the stock dash in those trucks.

A medical sleep over then bodywork. Wow, sure sounds like a lot of fun. Gonna be a really nice rod. I would like to see it in person some day.

Thanks Bob.. I like the stock dash as well. Just weighing my options.[S

I'm with Bob. The stock dash looks right to me and it's in place already.
I must of missed something some where back up the road. I thought
there was a problem with the original.

Have a nice nap! I can guarantee if I had to do that I wouldn't sleep 15 minutes.

No problem with the original POPS. Just with the builder.:D
My original intent was tro just to some minor mods to the original and then tu-tone it using the stainless trim as the cut off line.
Got to get the cab back on the frame and install the steering shaft and then make a decision. Nothing is set in stone at this point.

As to the sleep over.....turns out that I wake up an average of 23 times an hour over 6 hours of sleep time.:eek:
Not a good ratio. So tonight I try the CPAP machine. The concern is the stress on my heart that a lifetime of not sleeping is causing.
Torchie.

As ZZ goes....So go I.......

In an effort to keep up with my Canadian Hero I too have my project bottoms up.....Well at least sort of.:D

Cab back on it's firewall to finish off the bottom corners as well as start the filler work.
You can see in the pics where I shot some guide coat to show the area that I am starting with. Ps is fine but the DS took a real beating a some point. Looks like they used the round end of a ball peen hammer.:eek:
Perfect weather here for working in the shop with the doors open.[cl
Thanks for looking in.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 20
As to the sleep over.....turns out that I wake up an average of 23 times an hour over 6 hours of sleep time.:eek:
Not a good ratio. So tonight I try the CPAP machine. The concern is the stress on my heart that a lifetime of not sleeping is causing.
Torchie.

Man, that's like not sleeping at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope they can help you Torchie.
Good luck.

This mornings efforts....

Lower cab corners repaired.

New metal welded in an a "slicky of sticky" over the top.
The pic of the magnetized "picker upper" shows just how thin the filler is as it is sticking to the cab corner at a horizontal angle with out me helping it.:)

Some black primer and on to the rest of the cab back.
Thanks for stopping by.........
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 17
I think different dashes are perfect for throwing people for a loop when they look inside.
Looks like you are moving along! (Reads I need to get back at it!)

Latest posts

Back