Made a little more progress......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe, thanks. But I think Chip actually FINISHED a car once. :D Yeah, but he is getting closer.

I'm getting closer too with my 27. I got my starter painted and installed as well as my Hurst shifter and driveshaft. I forgot where I put some of the parts 10 years ago when I tore it down so it took some digging to find everything.

It came out good though and the transmission shifts like butter. I cleaned and greased the shifter and adjusted it so it is hitting the neutral gate as it should. Next I have to order some parts from Summit like a distributor, alternator, fuel pump, plug wires, etc. I hope to fire it for the first time in mid January.

Here are some pictures of what I got done this weekend.

Don

27shifteranddriveshaftin001.jpg

27shifteranddriveshaftin003.jpg

27shifteranddriveshaftin004.jpg

waiting OH SO PATIENTLY to see the body on there.

Me too. :D I think I am going to have to modify my firewall because the Edelbrock valve covers I needed to clear my roller rockers are much higher than the old finned aluminum ones I had, and the engine tucks under the firewall a few inches. But it's only fiberglass so that should be no problem to cut and remodel.

Quote: Very nice; spiffy looking manifold cover you got there.

Actually, those are some covers I made up to cover the stock Ford motor mounts. When I built the car all those years ago I wanted to use that Speedway crossmember and stock Ford mounts, but the Ford motor mounts were really ugly. So I cut up some Stainless steel covers my Son Dan had laying around from a Cal Look VW he had built. It was a louvered backside cover for his wink mirror and a little work with a pair of tin snips and I had a couple of shiny covers for the mounts. With the Limefire headers in place they are less noticable.

Here are a couple of shots of those covers.

engineinstalledin27007.jpg

engineinstalledin27008.jpg

Don

Today the final pieces of my clutch setup arrived so I was able to finish putting the transmission behind my engine and my Son Dan and I got it set down in the frame. I tore this car down 10 years ago for a rebuild and this is the first time it has had a motor between the rails in all those years. Feels pretty good, and now the biggest task I have is getting the body ready for paint.........probably satin black.

Anyway, here are some pictures of where we ended up tonight. I think Dan was looking for a little break from working on his rpu, and I enjoyed having his help to get this part done.

I have to hustle to get this thing done before the Billetproof Drags in October. I figure the Chevy guys like Glenn and Big Mike have had enough fun..........it's time for a Ford to come out and play. :D

Don

engineinstalledin27002.jpg

engineinstalledin27005.jpg

engineinstalledin27011.jpg

engineinstalledin27010.jpg

How much does an engine lke that costs??!! looks awesome, beautyful job!

how much does an engine lke that costs??!! looks awesome, beautyful job!

Thanks. I spent a little more money on this engine than I have on past builds. My Sons talked me into it, they said I have always made some compromises because of the budget thing so they goaded me into doing this one a little better. I'm happy they did because at my age it may be the last one and I am really excited to see how this one pulls.........should be fun.

Tonight Dan and I decided to put the body on the frame for a trial fit. I was worried that the Edelbrock valve covers I had were too tall to clear my firewall and that I would have to modify it. I was right, they are too tall but I have decided to switch to a different set of valve covers because I really don't feel like doing extensive fiberglass work right now if I don't have too. My Son Don has a set of lower ones on his T bucket and he likes my Edelbrock ones, so maybe he will switch with me. I have to ask him about that.

So here are some pictures of the body back on the frame for the first time in 10 years. It's nice to rebuild a car that was once a finished, driving car because there are no surprises, everything fits. Now I just have to prep the body for paint and decide what color it will be. I'm between black, or dark blue, but that could change if I see some other color that catches my eye.

Don

27bodytrialfit002.jpg

27bodytrialfit004.jpg

27bodytrialfit011.jpg

27bodytrialfit012.jpg

car so far

car looks great so far, iv got a 20s raodster body im looking to start on pretty soon if i dnt end up tradeing it off [;)

that thing looks great Don, i'm sure that the litttle thing is gonna pull hard -power to weight ratio is def. in your favor:D

i just can't imagine how it must have felt to reunite the body to the frame after that 10 years of working/waiting

looks like those chevy's will have some competition soon......[ddev

Thanks Preacher. Yep, the Peaches and Herb song Reunited kept going through my head.....now it's driving me crazy.:D Really can't wait to get it back on the road again, this one was my favorite rod. It drove like a car should, had no goofy tendancies, and always got me home at night.

I watched a couple of 331 stroker Mustangs run on Pass Time and the wheels were up on the launch. Hope mine pulls half as good. :D

Don

how much does an engine lke that costs??!! looks awesome, beautyful job!

Thanks. I spent a little more money on this engine than I have on past builds. My Sons talked me into it, they said I have always made some compromises because of the budget thing so they goaded me into doing this one a little better. I'm happy they did because at my age it may be the last one and I am really excited to see how this one pulls.........should be fun.

Tonight Dan and I decided to put the body on the frame for a trial fit. I was worried that the Edelbrock valve covers I had were too tall to clear my firewall and that I would have to modify it. I was right, they are too tall but I have decided to switch to a different set of valve covers because I really don't feel like doing extensive fiberglass work right now if I don't have too. My Son Don has a set of lower ones on his T bucket and he likes my Edelbrock ones, so maybe he will switch with me. I have to ask him about that.

So here are some pictures of the body back on the frame for the first time in 10 years. It's nice to rebuild a car that was once a finished, driving car because there are no surprises, everything fits. Now I just have to prep the body for paint and decide what color it will be. I'm between black, or dark blue, but that could change if I see some other color that catches my eye.

Don

27bodytrialfit002.jpg

27bodytrialfit004.jpg

27bodytrialfit011.jpg

27bodytrialfit012.jpg

Don, the "T" is looking fantastic so far.

A nice SOLID deep blue (NO METALLIC) would look really sharp on there, IMHO. Oh yeah, make it SHINY, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks. I've made a little more progress, but nothing picture worthy. I took my aluminum fuel tank to a guy I know who welds aluminum and had him put a new filler neck on it so I could run a new flip top filler I want to use. The old hose made a 90 degree bend and I had to put gas in real slow, this one is a straight shot.

I also bought a bunch of brake lines so my Son Dan can bend up some dummy ones, then I can order stainless lines in the exact length and duplicate the ones we bend up with the good stuff. I let Dan do this because I have NO patience to bend them neatly like he does. I end up folding my efforts in half and tossing them into the garbage bin.:eek:

Biggest thing though is that I took my fiberglass body to a guy I know who does fiberglass work on boats and vettes. He is making my firewall tunnel bigger to fit the new heads and valve covers I want to run, filling some unwanted holes I drilled over the years, and generally getting it in primer for me. Once it comes back it will have a blue dye on it that I can block sand until it disappears, making the body much straighter. He is going to use a primer called "Slick Sand" that is basically thinned body filler. 3 coats of that and I will have lots to sand smooth.

I decided to have a pro do that phase for me because I hate fiberglass work and the related itching, and also it makes so much dust mess in the shop. It will also speed up the project because while I am doing other stuff the body can be getting done.

As for Dans car, his floor is totally glued down and riveted in place (all 76 rivets:eek:) He also bought some Rage filler and did the transmission tunnel, skim coating it about 4 times and sanding it smooth. It came out really smooth and he plans on leaving it in the same color as the body and just carpeting the sides where your feet touch it. Sunday is supposed to be a nice, non rainy day, so he plans on putting the first primer on it, on the underside of the floor. Maybe in a month he can have all the body and bed primed.

So, that is where we are right now. When the body comes back I'll post up some pictures. :D Here is the only picture I have of Dan's floor. This was after the first side was glued up and had cured, and the second side was curing. Now there are rivets in each hole.

brookville38013.jpg

Don

Don, you and Dan do some excellent work! Great lookin shop too. I see lots of wishlist pieces in there!![cl.........CR

Things are going to slow down for a bit, this week Dan was laid off from his job. It was about time for him to change jobs anyway as his was getting worse every day as his company kept changing the rules and doing more with less. I saw it taking a toll on him as he was the Manager who took all the heat and got zero support from his home office.

One good thing is that Dan has a very strong family behind him, we won't let him down and will keep him floating until something new comes along. His Brother Don is already beating the bushes for him on a new job, and his Mom and I (even though we are separated) remain friends and are going to do whatever is needed to help him out.

The lousy part is, Dan immersed himself into his job just the way he does everything, and he got absolutely no thanks for working 60 hour weeks when he was paid for only 40 and all that jazz. Poor guy was really hurt, but his Brother and I have had some long talks with him this week and he is finally starting to come out of it and is seeing this as a positive move.

So, we are going to pull in our horns for a while and won't be spending any money on stuff like hot rods until the dust settles. The other bummer is that he got a free apartment with his job, and he and I live together, so we will be moving in the next two weeks. I don't mind the expense part, but I really hate moving............it has to be the worst job around.

Sorry to bring up an off topic subject, but I feel all of you are my friends and I wanted you to know.

Don

Latest posts

Back