Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReoChop002.jpg

Recently there was discussion regarding good taste in hot rod building. Well, my project is a dyed in the wool rat rod and not a project for some college of art and design. Therefore it shall be hot and nasty.
To this end, a 7" chop seems just about right. By the way, there will be no tops on the doors.

ReoMoreChop006.jpg

More hacking and slashing with an angle grinder/cutoff wheel, sawzall and cutting torch.
Right now it looks pretty bad but I have to keep the faith.

ReoMoreChop005.jpg

The whole header will be replaced...with something else...yet to be invented.

The end of October I'm attending a metal meet. Hopefully I'll learn how to make low crown panels as both door skins and one cowl section should be replaced, unless I keep this a real rough rod.

If this thread sinks to the bottom and stays there you know I created a pile of rusty landfill out of the Reo.

Bob's Paintless Dent Removal

ReoBackDent001.jpg

Time to test fit the back panel. But first a couple serious dents need to be roughed out.:D
This will work with any brand of car or truck but I prefer using an S-10.

ReoBackOn007.jpg

'Nuther view.
The planned roof line and and the intended treatment around the door glass hopefully will give this body a unique but pleasing look.

Like that would really happen

If this thread sinks to the bottom and stays there you know I created a pile of rusty landfill out of the Reo.

Like'n the design phase. It has a nice shape to it.

LoL...LOl...LOl

ReoBackDent001.jpg

Time to test fit the back panel. But first a couple serious dents need to be roughed out.:D
This will work with any brand of car or truck but I prefer using an S-10.

Bob you ARE crazy......you need to patient that S10 tool. you really look like your having fun[cl

ReoDoorMods001.jpg

The back panel had to be narrowed 2 1/2" and welded back together. When it was cut apart it was a good time to hammer and dolly some of the dents out of the pieces.

ReoDoorMods007.jpg

Trimmed the posts off the door to make it a "hardtop". The body is supposed to resemble a cabriolet so no upper door frame is wanted. The door glass will have a metal channel around it like Chevy AD trucks.
ReoDoorMods005.jpg

Had to take the curved part of the reveal out and make it straight.
ReoDoorMods003.jpg

First cut at coming up with a top profile. Obviously the top will wrap around starting at the back edge of the door. The plywood wanted to stay straight so a warped imagination is helpful.

Last edited:
ReoRoofie001.jpg

Tacked some patch panels in the back panel and also a stiffening strip along the door post edge. Made the first roof side piece out of "paintable" sheet metal. I made a hammer form to bend the top edge.
Thinking of cutting the bottom 3" off the doors and cowl to match the back panel. The body looks pretty thick in comparison to the glass area.

ReoRearWindow007_zps85900828.jpg

I continue to work on the top. The piece above the door will look more finished when it is...well, more finished.

ReoRearWindow008_zpsd877b51c.jpg

From the rear. The top will resemble a '26-'27 T coupe top. Haven't decided if it will be wood or sheet metal. If it is sheet metal it will be covered in vinyl top material.

Latest posts

Back