1956 F100 Angry Bird

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclars

Why "Angry Bird"?

Well, I am going to take this:

Attachments

• 1 56 LH Front.jpg
    1 56 LH Front.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 148
And a select part of this:

Attachments

• 79 Jag XJ6.jpg
    79 Jag XJ6.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Angry cat ready to pounce on the Bird.jpg
    Angry cat ready to pounce on the Bird.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 93
So you know the angry bird part. The Jag IFS is the only part of this truck that isn't a bird! Maybe that's why the bird is angry. Everything has a story, right?

Well, actually, I didn't even know that I had that cat picture until going to post this, but that's how legends are born!

Enough of the nonsense, right? Get to the build...

I am just going to catch up to the beginning, because I actually put this truck together enough to safely drive it last summer, before tearing it all down again. It currently sits in pieces in my shop, and I am targeting the end of April to have it running again (note, I didn't say "on the road").

Last year was considered a "mock-up" stage, which I am sure many of you have done and it really sorted some things out for me. It also cemented the Rat Rod allure, especially having gone to a local car show as the only Rat entry, and getting all sorts of attention. With no hood on and no bed in place, it allowed viewers to see what had been done. Then there were the old crusted veterans who would approach the truck and say "work in progress, eh? What color are ya goin' to paint it?" When I responded that paint was over rated, they kind of scowled.

But it got mostly positive reviews, and more interest than the MG's parked next to it!

Attachments

• Parade to the car show.jpg
    Parade to the car show.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Razz & Shine.jpg
    Razz & Shine.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
So you know the angry bird part. The Jag IFS is the only part of this truck that isn't a bird! Maybe that's why the bird is angry. Everything has a story, right?

Well, actually, I didn't even know that I had that cat picture until going to post this, but that's how legends are born!

Enough of the nonsense, right? Get to the build...

I am just going to catch up to the beginning, because I actually put this truck together enough to safely drive it last summer, before tearing it all down again. It currently sits in pieces in my shop, and I am targeting the end of April to have it running again (note, I didn't say "on the road").

Last year was considered a "mock-up" stage, which I am sure many of you have done and it really sorted some things out for me. It also cemented the Rat Rod allure, especially having gone to a local car show as the only Rat entry, and getting all sorts of attention. With no hood on and no bed in place, it allowed viewers to see what had been done. Then there were the old crusted veterans who would approach the truck and say "work in progress, eh? What color are ya goin' to paint it?" When I responded that paint was over rated, they kind of scowled.

But it got mostly positive reviews, and more interest than the MG's parked next to it!

My truck gets all kinds of attention too, in particular I've found that it's really a chick magnet.

No offence intended to anyone, but I find it's almost always guys that I get the whole "What do you mean you're not going to paint it??" argument from, and in particular it's usually the over-50 guys. I've got some stupid comments and scowls as well about the look, and I only drove it for roughly 3 weeks.

It gets a little tiring trying to drive something like that daily when anytime you stop somewhere you have to answer questions, but I love driving my truck and I'm glad you enjoyed driving yours with the "ratty" look! I can't wait to see the finished product! How's the performance with the bird engine? Is it the turbo?

Cool!! You just answered the question I posted on your intro thread about it being a blown v6.

Very cool combo you have going. That truck should ride, stop, handle and perform pretty well and get decent mileage to boot.

I must say, that the young people do appreciate it the most. I had one gal ask me if I would drive her to the front of the aisle at her outdoor wedding! She had a nice array of tats, which kind of fit the ride, but not necessarily the very traditional wedding. The barista's at my coffee stop get excited about it too. Next project is going to be a time machine...

In general I have had more thumbs up and positive remarks than not.

Here's a pic of the V6 with Eaton super charger. Intercooler removed. I took this pic to help reassembly in the truck (along with about 20 other close-ups).

Attachments

• 3.8L SC V6.jpg
    3.8L SC V6.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 120
I actually waited two years with the above project truck and parts cars sitting there because of those famous words "you need to ease up (as in "stop") on the car spending right now". Trouble is, it was true. I had two kids in college, and another daughter about to get married. (Her husband donated the bird for my project, so he got the green light.)

Not a problem. I had just finished some MG projects and had one good shell and two parts cars left over. I figured that was MY money right there. But when child #4, my oldest daughter, found out what I was up to, she said those dreaded words from your child: "I'll buy it"...

Well, there went my money machine, but it did keep me busy and helped clean out my shop. This is what she ended up with: 1964 MGB roadster, Iris Blue (her choice of course), and road-ready except for interior finishes.

It was the winter after that little project that I actually got started on the truck. I couldn't wait!

Attachments

• 1964 Iris Blue MGB.jpg
    1964 Iris Blue MGB.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 89
Well the forced hiatus was a good thing. Almost like anticipating a vacation or a fun road trip. What I began to realize was the T-bird super coupe was looking like a treasure chest of potential contributions. I must say that a few friends were frowning on my idea of a V6 in a hot rod, rather than two slant 4's welded together. But that V6 had a super charger and I always wanted a super charger and it looked so cool, and, and, and... Oh well, that decision could come later.

In the meantime, I learned that the IRS was a somewhat popular transplant if you wanted to go independent in the rear AND get disk brakes in the package. Plus I learned that there was a prefab kit from TEAM321 to help make it easy.

So that kit was my first expenditure, and it was well worth it. Plus the IRS was unusual and quirky. Perfect in other words.

Attachments

• IRS dropped from Tbird.jpg
    IRS dropped from Tbird.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 143
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Leveling IRS for front support attachment.jpg
    Leveling IRS for front support attachment.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Tbird IRS in 56 F100.jpg
    Tbird IRS in 56 F100.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 166
Next was the front. This was the sole purpose of the Jag XJ6 parts car that I got for scrap metal cost. Again, with plenty of time to study different options, this looked the most attractive and affordable to me. It went in easier than the IRS and required absolutely no kit or external attachments, as I chose to attache it directly to the frame rather than use the Jag mounts. This would give up some of the ride comfort, but hey, its a truck, right?

Attachments

• 3 - notch out to allow frame to lay flat.jpg
    3 - notch out to allow frame to lay flat.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 4 - Jag IFS rules.jpg
    4 - Jag IFS rules.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Slips right in.jpg
    Slips right in.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Vacancy at the front.jpg
    Vacancy at the front.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 2 - wack off mounting bkts.jpg
    2 - wack off mounting bkts.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 1 - stock jag IFS.jpg
    1 - stock jag IFS.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 96
So before and after pics of how much lower the truck sat. Without engine or tranny, it sat up like a 4x4. The IFS/IRS got it down quite a bit, with temporary threaded rod spacers in lieu of springs.

Attachments

• Before - stock susp..jpg
    Before - stock susp..jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 77
  • After - Jag IFS-Tbird IRS.jpg
    After - Jag IFS-Tbird IRS.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 82
Why did you go with the 'bird IRS instead of the Jag? I'm just wondering. I know the Jag IRS is common, but don't think the 'bird setup is as common, wondering if there are any positives and negatives to going that way, besides keeping your running gear all the same?

You hit on the key snopro. I had pretty much decided to stay with the t-bird running gear as much as possible. As you will see, I ended up being able to go from radiator to IRS with all T-bird.

I also reviewed the complexity of the installs, and with the kit for the Ford IRS, it made it very easy to install. I realized the Jag IRS was a classic, so I have kept it, and may find a home for it someday. But even so, the T-bird IRS still gets a great deal of attention.

On the same note, I would have liked to stay with Ford in the front too, but the T-bird had to much of the body being used for support. I saw pictures of a Crown Vic front conversion, and just didn't want to add shock towers to the old truck.

Attachments

• T-bird IRS - nice fit.jpg
    T-bird IRS - nice fit.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 56
Yeah I am really missing it after driving it all of last summer up until October. But realistically, it needed this shakedown. I was lucky to do a mock-up stage so easily which enabled me to drive it.

It would have been made easier had I found this forum earlier, with so much support. This is a great forum. I hope everyone appreciates how unique it is for a "rod" forum. I don't know how many forums I kicked tires at and attempted to start a "relationship" with, only to find 1) intolerant old skool fanatics 2) awkward user unfriendly websites or 3) inactivity at the websites (whats the point?).

So as long as no one gets tired of my retro posts, I am going to keep trying to catch up with my build as quickly as possible, so I can get it current. (Like tonight I welded in the t-bird transmission tunnel after proving it out for location and fit.)

Thanks for having me!

John L.

One of the problems of retracing my steps is to confirm which steps actually came first. Luckily, files are dated, so it helps my old memory.

I took meticulous measurements of key points in placement of the radiator in relation to the engine while still in the T-bird. With these measurements, I located the radiator on the F-100 frame, which surprisingly came close to the stock 56 radiator location. Measurements said the engine would just fit without too much chopping. Another plus, was overcoming a problem with many engines when fitting over a modern IFS - Oil pan interference. I was relieved to find that the T-bird actually had a rear sump, which would allow at least 1/2" clearance at the sub-frame.

The next step was to make sure the engine actually ran, while it was still in the T-bird. It was parked when it was realized that it had the notorious leaking head gasket that these engines were known for, so I went ahead and replaced the gaskets. I admit this was the most modern engine I had done more than change oil on, so I held my breath as I turned the key to start it. WOW! It actually took right off!!!

So with that, I pulled the engine and floated it into place behind the radiator location.

It was going to work.

Attachments

• Front end tear down.jpg
    Front end tear down.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Rad position.jpg
    Rad position.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 76
  • some assembly required.jpg
    some assembly required.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Final position with mark on frame where cut will be made for radiator.jpg
    Final position with mark on frame where cut will be made for radiator.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 71
  • I think it is going to fit.jpg
    I think it is going to fit.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 89 SC in 56 F100.jpg
    89 SC in 56 F100.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 76
Well, Lars, I for one will not yell at you for retroposting. I started here a while back with a three quarters done truck and had to do past posting, too. The guys accepted me and even cheered me on sometimes. This is a very good club to be in. Cool, cool, cool.
Keep up the good work.
Here's my red Effie.

Attachments

• 55Merc pass.jpg
    55Merc pass.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the comments - they help jog my memory of where I've been and why I did things a certain way.

For instance, all the wires and plumbing were intimidating to me, until a member from "the other" forum suggested orienting the radiator in the same spot as on the donor car. This would enable use of all stock hoses instead of having to custom fit each hose.

Then it dawned on me to place all the electrical components in the same way. If I placed them roughly where they had been in the T-bird, I could not only use the stock wiring harness (what a mess of wires!), anyone could pick up a T-bird repair manual and find what they were looking for.

So this was the plan that evolved as I went forward.

John L.

Latest posts

Back