1956 F100 Angry Bird

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to cut the firewall to allow the AOD tranny to clear, otherwise the engine top side cleared okay. So I positioned the tranny relative to the IRS and measured for motor mounts. I wanted to place them on the IFS subframe in the same spot as the Jag and because the T-bird also put them on the subframe. So I took the T-bird mounts and created elevated pedestals on a base that could be fine tuned for position later.

Once this was accomplished, it was time to take the cab off to work on the rear mount.

The fun was just starting...

Attachments

• pedestal motor mount.jpg
    pedestal motor mount.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 57
  • cab comes off for first time.jpg
    cab comes off for first time.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 66
  • T-bird stock mounts on pedestal.jpg
    T-bird stock mounts on pedestal.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 56
What I found was a frame that had gone through a lot of abuse. A notch can be seen that was someones solution to header interference. Connected to that header must have been a pretty powerful motor. I was aware of some partial cracks when I first got the truck, but not the patches under the cab. One of which was placed right over the VIN number stamped on the top of the frame.

After checking to see how many $$ for a professional to straighten it, and finding it was many $$, I searched online for the solution. I got the power ram from a demo car driver that I know. I put angle on the inside of the frame to keep it in place. Patched cracks and filled in voids.

It worked!

(Did I mention that I was extremely glad that I had only tack welded the IFS/IRS when I first installed them? Needless to say, there was some popping when that power ram started to do its job.)

Attachments

• cut up, cracked, crooked.jpg
    cut up, cracked, crooked.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Rails curved with cracks patched over.jpg
    Rails curved with cracks patched over.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Straightening bow RH frame.jpg
    Straightening bow RH frame.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 67
  • All patched up and straight again.jpg
    All patched up and straight again.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I'm liking this build! [cl Really like the Jag IFS, it's on my long list for my Lincoln someday. Keep it going, and keep the pics coming, it's looking great! I'm watching! [P

Yes, very good build to follow along with. The super coupe IRS are incredibly stout, they even have heavier axles shafts then the V8 birds.

Thanks for the compliments! I am having fun remembering all the details.

So after that little set back, I was able to hard weld the front and rear in place and know they were now aligned with each other. I set the engine on the mounts shown on my previous post, and positioned the engine at approx. 3 degrees to set the rear mount.

Does someone recognize the rear mount? It is not the stock F100 one, but it came with the truck and it fit up to the T-bird tranny mount perfectly!

The next step was to mount radiator, and other accessories. Then it was time to put the body back on to see how it was going to match up. I must say that when my V6 naysayer buddies came to offer comment, they were quite taken aback. I think they even started warming to the idea...

It fit like it was made at the factory! With the adjustment available with my motor mounts, I would eventually slide everything forward 1/2" to gain just a little more clearance at the firewall. But overall, VERY pleased with the direction it was going!

John L.

Attachments

• Engine reinstalled and rear mount adapted.jpg
    Engine reinstalled and rear mount adapted.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Rear T-bird isolator to Ford Xmember.jpg
    Rear T-bird isolator to Ford Xmember.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 65
  • Full engine bay.jpg
    Full engine bay.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 66
  • LH View at front.jpg
    LH View at front.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Well, I couldn't avoid it any longer. I was determined to use the T-bird wiring harness after learning that a custom one would be over $800. To say that I was intimidated by a "computerized" system would be an understatement at the time.

Luckily (I think) this was one of the earliest systems, with various functions split between different individual control modules. I was going to eliminate some of those, for instance, the ABS control, the ride control (pretty sophisticated), a JBL sound system, passive restraint system and touch door lock system. So hopefully, it would get easier.

But still, when I labeled and pulled it all out, all I could think was, man I hope I can get this running again!

Attachments

• Some assembly required.jpg
    Some assembly required.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 64
  • This is going to be interesting.jpg
    This is going to be interesting.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 59
  • wires at the t-bird trunk.jpg
    wires at the t-bird trunk.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 59
  • wires at the t-bird firewall.jpg
    wires at the t-bird firewall.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Snopro is correct, I did get it figured out, but only with some very delicate dissection and some very helpful folks over on the Super Coupe forum. (These SC's are kind of a "cult" vehicle", and the forum is a huge knowledge base.) They welcomed me as if I was driving one of their own. Well, in the end, I guess I was...

Just the same Old Iron, I appreciate the networking that goes on here. That is what a good forum is all about! Thanks!

John L.

Thanks ChristCrusader - haven't we crossed paths on another forum somewhere?

I am anxious to get past the electrical phase. Reliving now makes me recall that it was a tedious part of this project where I dreamed in multi-colored wires - more like nightmares. How Ford came up with so many color variations, I have no idea.

Anyway, I draped the whole spaghetti mess over the truck, drug the front end over and started the layout.

Attachments

• 1 laying wire over frame in position.jpg
    1 laying wire over frame in position.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 2 front end electrical mock up.jpg
    2 front end electrical mock up.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 3 front end mock up.jpg
    3 front end mock up.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, I wanted to locate all the wiring terminals in proximity of where they were on the T-bird. This included the battery and power distribution box, integrated relay control, etc.

I really didnt want the battery under the passenger side floor anyway, and it just fit in front of the tire at the front LH fender. Quite nicely I thought.

Then the cab was next to be sorted and the T-bird steering column looked like a fit, plus all the column switches, including cruise control could be maintained.

Attachments

• 1 new battery box location.jpg
    1 new battery box location.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Battery & Power Dist Box.jpg
    Battery & Power Dist Box.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 5 cab wiring.jpg
    5 cab wiring.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Before putting it all back on the frame, I wanted to get the brake situation finalized. I bought a frame mount conversion kit from CPP which fit very nicely. It was basically a Corvette MC with power booster for 4-wheel disc brakes.

I got it all plumbed and functioning, then I was ready to put the cab back on the frame and start connecting the wiring...

Attachments

• Power brake install.jpg
    Power brake install.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Wiring harness & brake MC.jpg
    Wiring harness & brake MC.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 45
Are you still with me? I know this may be overloading circuits so to speak.

But finally, I was able to put the cab back on and pieced together what I wanted from the T-bird interior. Which was basically everything!

Yeps! Electric seats, guage module, electrical warning chimes, you name it, it all came along. I figured that it would not be lack of a T-bird plug-in that would stop it from firing. Once I got it running, I could start working backwards to pull wires, but for now, I wanted everything connected as if it had simply moved from the donor carcass to the recipient.

Attachments

• 3 T-bird interior gutted - moving day.jpg
    3 T-bird interior gutted - moving day.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1 interior wiring.jpg
    1 interior wiring.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 2  LH wheel well for power distribution trunkline entry.jpg
    2 LH wheel well for power distribution trunkline entry.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Interior by T-bird.jpg
    Interior by T-bird.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Tbird seat, steering, gear shift.jpg
    Tbird seat, steering, gear shift.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 57
This is the way to do it. You're almost giving me the courage to try this. I have a '97 V8 bird sitting in my yard lol.

I'm liking your artistic vision of car parts collage...[P

Note: Ford owns Jag now so I guess this is still an all Ford build?

Thanks ChristCrusader - haven't we crossed paths on another forum somewhere?

I am anxious to get past the electrical phase. Reliving now makes me recall that it was a tedious part of this project where I dreamed in multi-colored wires - more like nightmares. How Ford came up with so many color variations, I have no idea.

Anyway, I draped the whole spaghetti mess over the truck, drug the front end over and started the layout.

It is possible our paths have crossed...
Looking good for sure! What type of transmission hump did you use? It that one from the T-bird? It fits really well.

The hump, along with the shifter, e-brake and electronics came directly out of the T-bird. I used brackets with self tapping sheet metal screws to position it. I would later weld it permanently in to regain the floor stiffness that it contributes.

The nice part of this particular transplant was that the relative length of the T-bird connection points matched that of the truck, so the harness actually fit without having to cut or splice extra wire.

Yeah, too bad Jag wasn't owned by Ford in 1979, or I would truly have an all blue oval vehicle.

Next up: Will it start?

Stay tuned! (program times may vary, but generally follows the work day (PST)...)

John L.

Latest posts

Back