55 Series one.. another project followed me home. Your standard AD on S10 build..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to drive the truck further than to the corner in the video I posted.

I put it on the road, took it for a spin or two around the block.
Found a sticking front caliper, replaced it..
Then found the rear caliper bracket was not quite centered on the rotor, and it was touching. fixed that and she was good to go.

5 months after trailering home a cab and bed held to the frame with ratchet straps, she is on the road, and made her first trip to work this morning!

I also got to get her out on the road and give her a kick in the rear. I am actually quite surprised how quick this thing is!

Chevy3100lowered1_zps1931a5a8.jpg

Chevy3100Rear_zps77a01bf2.jpg

Chevy3100AdvanceDesign_zps8a27a50e.jpg

I think it's kool!!!!!!!!!!!
I know you said the wheels were 18's and 17's, did you ever say what the name brand was?

Ok.

After driving the truck for a bit I was chasing a distributor that kept loosening.
Tossed the cheap aftermarket chrome hold down, and got a nice one. That fixed that
but it still had a stumble at part throttle.. tossed the Edelbrock carb (never had any luck with those)
threw on a new one, and man she runs good.. I am shocked how quick this thing actually is!

Anyway, today I drove her around a bit today to check out the new carb.
I also took a scotch brite, and pre clean, and scrubbed the black spray paint that was on the door/back of cab/front of cab
to find some nice coloring under there.. I like it.

Thinking of clearing over the paint to keep the patina the way it is.

55%20Series%201%203100_zpsehtw1dzd.jpg

Nothing too much, just been working on my 66 Mustang and driving the hell out of the truck
Only problem was the exhaust used to end at the back of the cab.
You could see the ends of you looked between the cab and the bed,
For some reason it had some exhaust coming back into the cab, so my wife didn't like riding in it.
This weekend I extended it and dumped it over the rear axle. Truck actually sounds better, and even better, the exhaust smell is gone. Yay

Exhaust_zpsowgj9jtl.jpg

Nothing too much, just been working on my 66 Mustang and driving the hell out of the truck
Only problem was the exhaust used to end at the back of the cab.
You could see the ends of you looked between the cab and the bed,
For some reason it had some exhaust coming back into the cab, so my wife didn't like riding in it.
This weekend I extended it and dumped it over the rear axle. Truck actually sounds better, and even better, the exhaust smell is gone. Yay

Exhaust_zpsowgj9jtl.jpg

That looks (and probably sounds and smells) way better.

I always get my exhaust to exit beyond the vehicle body, you get less resonation that way.

Nothing major going on over the last 4 months, just been driving her every chance I get.

I did weld up a bunch of holes from the antenna, big old towing mirror mounts, etc.
Started mounting the windshield wiper parts etc.. just little things.
I also installed some bear claw type latches on the doors, and removed the outer handles so I can "fit" them with a little something special.
more to come on that later.. Don't worry, they are going back on

This week I mounted a hood emblem, and wired a front bumper up to see if I liked the look.

I'm kind of torn, I think without the bumper it looks kind of tough,
but as my wife said, it looks more "finished" with the bumper and emblem
and I also like that it visually "lowers" the front end..

trial_zpsxejebd3u.jpg

So since converting the old style door latches to a bear claw style latch, I have not had working outer door handles.
The mounting position of the latch, and the window track are causing troubles.
Ended up getting a few buttons, and door lock actuators from ebay for $26.
I put the buttons in the stock door handle, and now have working doors again

Door1_zpsr8po7umj.jpg

and a quick vid of them in action

http://youtu.be/6LF6LNOM1f0

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back