Can solid mount or rubber mounts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksyde

Trying to get some input on mounting my cab.
Been planning on mounting with neoprene bushings, but I'm not sure it will be solid enough to run cowl steering with a mopar box.

Pros cons?

I use 1/4" thick reinforced baler belting for cab isolaters from the local farm supply store. One between the cab and on top of the frame mount then one between a large flat washer and the bottom of the frame mount.
The cab won't move but, will eliminate some of the road noise.

I mounted my cab on rubber from a boat trailer roller! For a lil extra rake the front pieces were 1/2" shorter than the rears. Think I paid $7.50 for a 12" piece & cut to size with my chop saw! Mine is very solid!

BoB

We aren't really answering his question though, guys. Will his cab be stable enough, [forward, backward motion], to keep his steering fairly tight. I thought for a minute that I could give some practical advice, as I have an old Kenworth with almost the same setup, but my steering box is bolted to the frame and not to the cab as his is.
My unpracticed advice would be -- give it a try your way and if you're not confident of the cab staying put, weld a tab [with a hole in it] on the out side of the driver side of the frame, vertically, and another tab on the bottom of the cab that would be one inch ahead of the frame tab. If, when you're driving your car you feel that the cab is moving forth and back, slip a hockey puck between the two tabs that I ordered up, and bolt them together. This should stop the front to back motion of the cab trying to push the draglink. [;)[;)

I think everyone is dodging the elephant in the room here - Why is the steering box mounted to the body?? The box should be mounted on a hoop that is securely fastened to the FRAME of the vehicle. So a big NO to attaching steering components to what is essentially sheet metal, especially something subject to movement. Here is an example with a Mopar box mount. It doesn't don't have to be this pretty or adjustable, but you do need SOME sort of mount securing the box to the frame of the vehicle. Be safe!

1209rc-01-z%2Broadster-pickup-gets-steering%2B.jpg

Ya thats what I'm getting at.
Not sure how much force the box will see. was debating with hard mounting the cab, then easy box mounting, or soft mounting, then a little more difficult to mount the box without attaching is somewhat soft to the cab.

Ya thats what I'm getting at.
Not sure how much force the box will see. was debating with hard mounting the cab, then easy box mounting, or soft mounting, then a little more difficult to mount the box without attaching is somewhat soft to the cab.

The box will see more force than you can possibly comprehend. Changing the direction of 5000 pounds moving at 70mph takes a little bit of force! The box must be mounted to a solid mount off the frame, NOT the cab. Cowl steer setups do not attach to the body!

So do you usually still mount the cab on rubber mounts? or would it then be better to solid mount the caB?

Definitely on rubber! When you tighten it down there should be no play but a small cushion instead of steel on steel, manufacturers don't mount steel to steel for a good reason!

Beercan

I built a hoop for mine, bolts to the frame for now. Will weld it to the frame once everything is finalized.

Latest posts

Back