'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured they'd need a brace too but didn't see one...this thing's moving into the one of a kind realm early...[cl

The intake/exhaust is held to the cylinder head with 13 bolts. A bracket and possibly a heat shield and foot step will be added in the muffler location. Then I can get in over the non-opening door and the mufflers and pipes will be held firmly.
No matter how the gas tank and trunk were arranged it looked like a Beverly Hillbillies rig. So I thought a box would cure that even if it isn't very innovative. Craigslist coughed up a pair of '49 Chevy box sides. They will have to be cut down a lot To fit like the cardboard template pictured.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 105
"No matter how the gas tank and trunk were arranged it looked like a Beverly Hillbillies rig."

Hey, I resemble that remark...:D

Thanks bob, I may have found a 240 single on the bay, will see how it works out.
The roadster is looking great, love the bed box idea. Hope you keep the trunk in the bed.

I've been picking away at it. I cut the Chevy Ad truck long bed sides to the length needed. Took a foot out of the width of the front panel Here it is just sitting in place, all crooked and everything.
Mounted the rear shocks. The flat angle is similar to how the stock shocks were mounted on my '40 Plymouth truck. So this should be okay.
After two attempts at making a top bar for the windshield frame that resembled the rest of the frame I gave up. I made the top bar out of aluminum, 3/8" square stock sandwiched between two pieces of 1/8" by 1" flat stock, all bolted together
As for tire sizes most likely will run 6.00-16's in front and taller skinny bias tires in back. Like the ones that are on it.
The military trunk will go in the bed
I'm back to using the oval gas tank and not the giant aluminum one I got recently.
Now trying to come up with a way to brace the rear of the box. Possibly round rod in a pattern, but not a spider web.

Attachments

• A Bed 001.jpg
    A Bed 001.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 117
  • A Bed 002.jpg
    A Bed 002.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 103
  • A Bed 003.jpg
    A Bed 003.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 104
  • A Bed 004.jpg
    A Bed 004.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 98
  • A Bed 005.jpg
    A Bed 005.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 102
Ya bob she is starting to look like a real hot rod. The bed is a great idea and the proportions are right on. I'm sure you will be happy with the oval tank. After I ran some 6.00 front & 7.50 rear radials on the 29 RPU I switched to 6.00x16 & 7.00x16 skinny bias Firestone for a more old school look. I could tell you your doing the right thing, but you already know that. Keep it up, looking
great. [cl[P

Snuck into the garage for a few hours, even though it is Christmas day, and made a fancy framework instead of a tailgate. Might put this Willys horn button back there and call the roadster a Willys. Maybe have jfg455 make a Willys logo for the radiator shell like the cool one he made for the REO.

Yes Tom, I'm pretty happy with the way this project is turning out.

Attachments

• gate 001.jpg
    gate 001.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 64
  • gate 002.jpg
    gate 002.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 62
  • gate 003.jpg
    gate 003.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 60
  • gate 004.jpg
    gate 004.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 70
You can call it by any name, But the home town people will know that it's just another winter hot rod project from the shop of bobw.:D;)

The gas tank and trunk are in place.

Built a framework and cradles to hold the tank. You can see there's a dent to be removed. Gotta make straps to hold it in place.

The trunk needed to be notched to clear the rear end.

Attachments

• Tank and Trunk 001.jpg
    Tank and Trunk 001.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Tank and Trunk 002.jpg
    Tank and Trunk 002.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 95
  • Tank and Trunk 003.jpg
    Tank and Trunk 003.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Tank and Trunk 004.jpg
    Tank and Trunk 004.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 91
Looking great bob, the blue bedsides take me back... same shade mine were when I got them.. The trunk tank arrangement looks good too.. pretty similar to how i did mine.. but my tank sits up higher but i have a 10 gallon air tank under the gas tank. Its amazing to me. Seem like so much space when its a bare frame.. but all the real estate disappears quickly

Latest posts

Back