jaguar front suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoodfreak

Has anyone used a xj6 front suspension on a 37 chevy/gmc pick-up? Reason I'm askin is a few years ago I bought a 83 xj6-I was gonna use it for a demolition derby car-because I thought it would be cool to tear up a jag that way. Anyway a neck injury cut my derby days out-go figure. So I was gonna junk this jag but I'm thinking I may be able to use it under my 37 GMC. I'm gonna run fenders so it won't be seen. You guys know of any pro or cons to these front ends verses say a mustang II. I'm just getting started on this project but I want to get an idea of what I'm gonna need or if what I have will work. Thanks Ba

Let someone else derby the Jag. You will have a boatload of money in rebuilding a obsolete front suspension that was never that great in the first place. Money would be much better spent towards a MII...

Someone always had to be the first, Why not you? Mustang front ends are like small block chevys, everyone has got one..........

Mustang front ends are like small block chevys

Yeah, because they both work very well, are reliable, have excellent aftermarket support and they are affordable. Not to mention they facilitate what this hobby is about - DRIVING. What's the downside of that, especially when it is underneath a vehicle where it won't even be seen?

You could carve a wrench out of some free wood you had laying around, and you just might be the first to do it. But it would be time consuming, cost un-effective, not work well and ultimately very frustrating. But hey, everybody uses metal wrenches right? Dare to be different!

Okay so the jag idea ain't the greatest. How much am I lookin at for a mustang ii front end? Should I even bother looking at salvage yards or am I better off just buying new? As for the rear end I really wanting to stay with the dually set up-I think I'll just junk the jag

The Jag front end is a popular swap... great ride, good parts availability and an easy install... do it.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/f100.html
I agree. That front suspension was used in all xj6's 68 to 87 that I know of and xjs's up till the about 1995 I have one in my 72 xj6 out of a 91 xjs so it's got big brakes and the fat sway bar. It'll take you about 30 minutes to drop the whole thing out from under the Jag and it's a lot stouter than a stang 2. In fact when you look at it, you'll think Ford must of copied it except the steering rack is behind the cross member. I would be concerned about the width though, I gotta think they'd be wider than a stang.
The 4.2 dual overhead cam I 6 motors in those things are cool too. They aint no ball of fire in the hp department but they are torque monsters. Best thing is the fuel injected ones are simple because the whole system is stand alone with one wire loom from the motor to the ecu in the trunk. All you need is a fuel pump system with return and a hot wire to the ecu. Last, Earthman's right about the IRS, complete with inboard disc brakes. What could be cooler? Dooooo it!!!

Yea the link that krooser sent me really changed my thinking. I like the fact that it's heavy duty. I don't think the width will be problem-I've roughly measured it out-but we'll see. As far as the jag motor-it's toast-the guy i got it from blew the head gasket and then locked the motor up! I'm still debating on running the jag rear end. I have three options,leave it a dually,run the jag rear end or run a corvette rear end-i have everything from an 82 vette rear end except the spring-at least i think i still have it all.i'm still in the early stages of this build i've been working on the body-but that's about done. so the frame is next

Latest posts

Back