e-wheel anvils

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
So... when I built my e-wheel frame yrs some ago , I ordered anvils with a flat centre. The thought of the e-wheel gods / guru`s was that if your frame is really ridgid ,you can move material faster with those... well, I`ve been fighting my wheeling machine ever since.

I recently saw a video by another metal shaper explaining why those anvils don`t work and he pointed out exactly why I`ve been fighting my machine. Sooo, I had new full radius anvils made... now I feel stupid for not doing that sooner [S The difference is phenomenal. My arms like it , my panels like it... those who preach flat top anvils should be whipped... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP4991.jpg
    IMGP4991.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 37
Better late than neverđź‘ŤI can't imagine the quality of the panels you will build now considering how good you were with the bad wheels

Your Wheel is impressive, to say the least. So, what is a flat anvil supposed to do? Seems like it would just make gouges in the metal.

After sitting around for at least two years in the box, I finally put my E-Wheel together this week. It has six radius anvils. I've been watching metal shaping vids on YouTube all week. I'm getting excited. I've shaped a lot of metal, but mostly with a hammer and dolly.

Your Wheel is impressive, to say the least. So, what is a flat anvil supposed to do? Seems like it would just make gouges in the metal.

After sitting around for at least two years in the box, I finally put my E-Wheel together this week. It has six radius anvils. I've been watching metal shaping vids on YouTube all week. I'm getting excited. I've shaped a lot of metal, but mostly with a hammer and dolly.

not flat all the way ( which btw also has its uses ) but like in the picture. The flat part is supposed to move material quicker because the contact point is larger, hence the needed ridgid frame, but when you move the panel on the wheeling machine overlapping your last pass with 50% or so, you actually flatten half the radius you just created. It just does not work... you can not wheel on a flat, period.

The e-wheel is really nothing other than a hammer & dolly, but always working on-dolly. You can not shrink on the e-wheel. So when you know how to stretch and raise a panel by hammer, you can do it a whole lot quicker on the wheeling machine. :)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back