New carport build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Here's a build thread of a different sort, my new add on carport. Going to be 22' wide by 39' long, was going to be 24x40 but had to cut it down a bit. I'll skip the clean up, but that took a couple of Saturdays, lots of junk got piled up and had to be moved. Last week, went and got my posts, using 6x6 for the corners and 4x4 in the center. First thing though, I had to replace the posts under the current carport. I put them in about 25 years ago, and one had rotted off about 4", causing the roof to sag. Never noticed it until the metal roof went on, then it stuck out like a sore thumb! Anyways, used my engine crane to do the lifting, worked out great! Next weekend I hope to start setting the other posts.

DSCF1130 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1131 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1126 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1127 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1128 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1132 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Stringline is roof footprint, actual building will be 1' smaller.

Floor will be crushed rock or gravel, whichever is cheaper, for now. Going to buy a mixer from Harbor Freight and pour the floor in sections later, 4" thick. Should be enough to park on.

I would love to enclose it Eman, but doubt it will ever get done. It's getting where I do less and less outside, so in colder weather I'll probably be by the fire......

That's gonna add to the work/storage footprint a lot [cl :cool:

That's the plan! Right now, I have 4 vehicles and 1 covered parking space/work area. This will get the other three out of the weather as well as provide some overflow for junk collecting that I seem to have a need to do.[ddd
I will be able to have my work area free after I get the Lincoln out.

Only got a half a day Saturday to work. Between watching the Grandson and working, managed to get two corner posts up, concreted them in this morning. My little Harbor Freight auger did a pretty good job considering the ground is hard as concrete right now. Suppose to get about 1/2" of rain this week, so maybe by Sat it will dig a bit easier. For sure supposed to be cooler. finally!

"Only got a half a day Saturday to work."
Sounds like around here lately. Remodeled wife's bathroom last week. By the way who started all of this bathroom remodeling anyway [S:(

Did my bathroom about 9 years ago, hope don't have to remodel it again for a while.:D

Supposed to be getting some rain today, so far it's been a no show. Hurricane was too far east for us to even get a shower off of it, but we're supposed to have a cold front moving in from the west bringing some needed rain. Need it to soften the ground so I can drill the other 6 holes this weekend.

Got 4 more posts up today and concreted in. Slow, ain't I? :D Didn't get around to taking any pics today, try and get some in the morning. Not really much to see, bunch of posts sticking in the ground. [ddd

We didn't get that promised rain, so had to drill again in the hard soil. First hole about a foot down, it quit digging, cleaned the hole out by hand, found a horse shoe! No telling how many years that had been buried there! Hope it's a sign of good luck on this build!
Anyways, got four more posts up and concreted in. Didn't have enough bracing to set the other two, so they'll have to wait until next weekend. So far, I'm pretty happy with my little Harbor Freight power auger. Much better than a pair of post hole diggers! Still slow go in the hard soil though. Set two more posts, then I'm ready for my steel purlins. Got to get in touch with my cousin and get them drug home so I can cut them to fit.

DSCF1133 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1135 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr DSCF1140 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Finally, an update!

After waiting 8 months on my cousin for the metal, I got tired of waiting and went and bought a trailer load of lumber. Got about 8 hours in this weekend, 4 yesterday, 4 today until it got in the sun and got too hot to work. Set one post yesterday, the other this morning. Started putting up headers yesterday, got half of them up, and switched to rafters today. Fun handling 24' 2x8's by yourself! Going to cut them back to 22' after I get them all up, wanted to make sure all were even before I cut them. I would leave them 24', but my propane guy has to back in beside there, so I had to make sure he had enough room for his truck. Not quite halfway on the rafters, maybe next time I'll get the rest of them up, then on to decking strips and metal. Here's a couple of progress pics....
DSCF1241 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF1242 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back