Plasma Revisited

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgerman

Got a green light to buy a plasma cutter. Need pointers. I'm a rookie builder, budget focused, and I know you get what you pay for. This topic has been quiet for a while. Appreciate the help guys.

There are lots of options now. I have a Miller X-treme but Eastwood & several other companies have them for 1/2 the price of Miller & Lincoln! Be sure to check out Cyberweld... they have pretty good prices! I also recommend one that can use both 110 & 220.

http://www.cyberweld.com

BoB

I have an older Hypertherm at home and a newer one at work. they have come a long way. My suggestion is get one bigger than you need. One that is rated for 3/4" is only good for 1/2" or less. Also my old one goes through a lot of consumables. Be sure you can get replacements easily. Good luck.

I bought a Hypertherm 600 fourteen years ago for $1,500 and it's still going strong.
I've cut 1/2" mild steel at 15 inches a minute with no issues.
I first used this machine as a hand held before buying a CNC table that I put it on.
I recently upgraded the torch to a Duramax and love it, virtually no dross to clean off.
It has had the heck used out of it, the consumables are readily available and they last a long time. What's crazy is it's still worth almost what I gave for it.
I also have a little inverter plasma tat I now use as a hand held that is 110 or 220 it does a good job for what it is. I gave $369 for it on Amazon.
Having both, I will suggest you buy the best machine you can afford and be conscious of the consumables availability.
Make sure to install a filter drier. Motor Guard M-26 is the least I'll use and change the filter on a weekly basis. Buy four of them and reuse them after they have dried out.

516nhTADCxL.jpg

Thanks T, KC, OI. I can narrow this down. Hand held and portable best for now. I like the 110/220 option. It will travel back and forth from home to the farm. Power at the farm limited to 110 for now. Most cuts will be 1/4 or less.
Will run with 220 at home. Lighter machine good for transport.

Santa came early, left my new plasma cutter on the porch. Got 220 power to it tonight, made a few practice cuts, works well. Will get air filters soon. Time to learn. :)

Moisture raises certain hell with a plasma.

I also have a Motor Guard filter. Don't ask me how or why I discovered this... a common roll of TP fits perfectly in place of the element. I've been using this disposable alternative ever since.

147159.JPG

Alway Thinking Doc

Moisture raises certain hell with a plasma.

I also have a Motor Guard filter. Don't ask me how or why I discovered this... a common roll of TP fits perfectly in place of the element. I've been using this disposable alternative ever since.

147159.JPG

More economical I would think :D

Last edited:
But it's nasty to wipe your butt with after using it as a filter...:D

Maybe because it doesn't get used often, but my el cheapo DR plasma is going strong still, cuts 3/4" and after replacing my wand to a different style,I can buy consumables that are better items than you could find for the original wand. I'm satisfied with it. It also comes with dual voltage capabilities and the patch cord. I'm running Motor Guard filters also from Old Iron's suggestion.

Like I already mentioned, if you use it regularly make sure to change it weekly or the moisture will corrode the powder coating on the inside of the filter.
Sometimes I use my CNC so much I have to change it every day.
Enjoy and post some pics [P[P[P

My new plasma machine rocks....unlike me. Results look like I been drink'n. Been fixing the evidence with a grinder. How does that saying go about practice. :cool:

My new plasma machine rocks....unlike me. Results look like I been drink'n. Been fixing the evidence with a grinder. How does that saying go about practice. :cool:

Yup, not sure about your machine but I was able to buy extented tips for pattern following, and they make a world of difference. They are about an 1/8"longer and allow you to follow an edge. I have a 1&2 ft piece of 1/8"x1.5" aluminum I use for straight cuts, well as various diameters of worn out 045 cutting discs I use for curves.

Got a free home made mini work table from a friend. Big help with the plasma.

Attachments

• 20200326_192331.jpg
    20200326_192331.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back