Moving with heavy tools

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anvil

Im moving 600 miles from Renton Wa to Helena mt.I have
a acorn/ platen table # 2400 and a power hammer. I think the hammer weighs # 4000. It's a Chambersburg utility 100 pound
Hammer from the 40's. I did at one time bring these home in my 1968 F100 but it's already their.
So any ideas how to ship these?
Does UShip work? I will have photos on Friday!

no clue on the shipping overthere, but I`d love to see the Chambersville. [P I`ve owned several older Beché hammers and even bought a brand new PhoenixA150 at one point... they usually are a pain to move due the height.

I may have some somewhere, but I didnt own a camera back then... I`ll look around. I had a very small super fast ,maybe 20-30# beché, but never saw another or any info on it, may have a pic of that one. Also a 30kg which blew up... :eek: the 1.5" cast top of the cylinder guide smashed into a zillion pieces...I wasnt hurt but should have worn a helmet lol... it was the end of that hammer... Had a 50kg Beché after that and then I bought the Phoenix 150 which is a compressor fed hammer... controlability and long stroke were awesome on that one, but Stability of the old cast hammers... well, gotta love that, right?
Sold the Phoenix after I quit forging due worn out limbs...
My friend owns a Nazel B2, I loved working with that beast [ddd now thats holy moly forging :D

Contact a shipper with flat beds.
They have trucks dead heading a lot of the time and will take on freight to make a little geetus and pay for fuel.

The truck did just fine!!! I think it weighs more but not shure how much.

Attachments

• 20190419_093105.jpg
    20190419_093105.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 26
From what I've read, Uship works, but you have to vet your choice. They are bidding on the job, some are better than others. Just because you get a cheap rate doesn't mean you'll get cheap service, but then again, it doesn't mean you'll get white glove treatment, either. Check their references before you give the OK. Some are set up for heavy items like that, some of them only have an open trailer like you'd haul a car on. I'd require enclosed transport and machinery moving experience.

Who's doing the loading and unloading? That will make a difference, too. Most won't have the tools needed to properly load and unload machinery, or the proper tie downs for the trip. You may have to go through a freight broker instead.

Not many flatbed companies will do a partial load like that, but the LTL {less than truckload} carriers like Yellow-Roadway, ABF, SAIA, FedEx Freight, etc, deal with partial loads like this every day. Like I said above, I think you'd be better off with an enclosed trailer, so if anything falls off, it will still be right there and not laying on the side of the road.

Have shipped large items with SAIA. We built our own stout shipping boxes. Enclosed trailer. Good experience. Agree with Bama. Ask questions, discuss handling, etc.

I have decided to rent a 26 foot Penske (sp) moving truck. For about $1000 its done. I will load via rented forklift. Unloading via local tow/boom truck.

I have decided to rent a 26 foot Penske (sp) moving truck. For about $1000 its done. I will load via rented forklift. Unloading via local tow/boom truck.

Good choice, if anything goes wrong you can only blame yourself. You will probably be more cautious and take better care of them than a mover would anyway.

found some old pics... the small Beché was my firdt powerhammer. The Phoenix was the last. There were some wild dogs inbetween but I`m not sure I have pics... [S

Attachments

• beche 15kg 2.jpg
    beche 15kg 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 10
  • bartaan150a.jpg
    bartaan150a.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back