New shop tool; jack.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
A few years ago I bought part of a transmission jack at a swap-meet. It was a really good deal. A while after I got it home, I realized that a good deal is getting something of value for cheap. Part of a jack is useless.
Today I converted the useless POS into a functioning transmission jack, [I think].
I made a bracket out of rectangular tubing, welded ears on it and a pipe chunk inside the tube. Then I bolted the swivel stud of the partial jack to the new bracket, and bolted all of that to the lift arm of my engine crane.
The orange stuff is the swap-meet stuff, and the rusty brown stuff is homemade. The orange stuff swivels on the brown stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 59
It looks like I had promised a report on my transmission jack and then forgot about it. Ooops.
The downside of the apparatus is the flat slippery surface that you have to keep the transmission on top of. The transmission is not flat at all and usually needs some manual coaxing up and through the throw-out bearing and clutch plate. Even strapped down the transmission reminded me of trying to weigh an unco-operative greased pig on a bathroom scale. I should have made a contoured top to the jack that would hug the transmission bottom and then strap it down.
Otherwise, the whole invention worked quite well.

In the four corners of the plate drill a hole for a flat piece of steel with a slot in it. On the ends of the flat pieces weld an angle iron upright. The corner pieces can then be positioned and tightened down so they stabilize the tranny a little better.

In the four corners of the plate drill a hole for a flat piece of steel with a slot in it. On the ends of the flat pieces weld an angle iron upright. The corner pieces can then be positioned and tightened down so they stabilize the tranny a little better.
I was just going to suggest this. With one difference.
Better to put plates on the bottom of the uprights and drill them so they can be bolted on and pivot for better adjustment. Thinking about automatics in this case.

A couple pieces of 3" angle attached to the platform should cradle a manual fairly well.

Thanks, Kenny and Skip, those movable support pieces will work for many different transmissions. My top plate has long slotted holes in it, they are just in the worst places you can imagine, right down the centre, front to back, and not on the edges like you suggested. I'll whip my trans jack into shape for the next big transmission change.

I was just going to suggest this. With one difference.
Better to put plates on the bottom of the uprights and drill them so they can be bolted on and pivot for better adjustment. Thinking about automatics in this case.

A couple pieces of 3" angle attached to the platform should cradle a manual fairly well.

Great suggestion. You could also just weld a stud to the inside corner of the upright angle.

Latest posts

Back