1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

I saw a Dr. It's a pneumonia. Started me on antibiotics so I'm feeling a little better. Hope to get back to wrenches this weekend. The 49 might have to wait though. Looks like I might have popped the transfer case in my Jeep. :(

No big deal, just down time I don't really need or want.

Gold03

It still drives in 2wd, but makes a drive shaft rpm vibration in 4wd. probably a bearing. It might actually be a u-joint, but can't seem to see a problem. will know when it starts to get torn down.

My 2003 Rubicon is my daily driver. its the gold03 in gold03. I love that thing. now it just needs to get some wrench time after 200,000 KM. It is still on original u-joints up until two weeks ago. I haven't had to replace anything on it. Its just due. It does not see serious off road, but it does see off road a lot. I don't abuse my vehicles.

I love driving back roads and off roads. This thing has many subtle changes that are hard to see but make it very capable off road.

gold03

Attachments

• 100_2728.jpg
    100_2728.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 47
Back on my feet and back to work on the rat rod. I welded the front lower shock mounts today.

I'm real close to having a roller. Now I really need to choose my tire and wheel width for the back. I'm torn between tall and skinny, or M/T Pro street style like. I need 32 in tall tires in the rear. 24 in the front. Of course I'm going to need rims as well. 5X4 1/2.

Choices.[S

I need to roll this thing out into the light and get some photos posted. Get some feedback and make a decision. I still have some ice build up on the driveway so it won't roll on the frame table right now.

Might have to chop the ice and get some photos.

Gold03

OK, finally got a little work done. I bought a small lathe and have been messing with that, but now back tot he Rat Rod.

I rebuilt my front panhard bar. didn't like where it came so close to the steering. Its mounted in single sheer instead of double sheer like I originally intended, But its still strong as hell. I've got the front end all mocked up again.

gold03

It started raining and I didn't get a chance to roll it out for pictures. Gut here is what I worked on.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 97
I need to put new bushings in the springs, design and build cross steering. Build tie rod, the one you see is just for mock up. Steering column is going to be original cut off stock box. I will build a bearing mount for the bottom end of the tube.

I'm still pretty short of breath so it goes slow.

Gold03

Very nice

I'd love to have that rig as is!!! It would be perfect for hauling firewood rounds!!
This is going to be interesting...I hope!
Keep us posted
later

I made some aluminium spacers for my front shocks. You can probably buy them, but I made em. I bought a little Taig lathe for doing this kind of thing and it works pretty good. I always need a spacer or something that I just can't do otherwise. The little lathe makes it a lot easier.

Here are some pictures of the spacers. They just go between the shock and the mounts I bought from Speedway. I still need to make four more for the bottom.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 56
I picked up my steering box today. I didn't leave enough room for it.[S

I have to redo the cross member that supports the front of my motor mounts. :(

It's not all bad though. It was well built, but didn't look right to me. Now I have an excuse to change it.

Gold03

Well, that just sucks, I hate when you have to cut out a perfectly good item, especially when its "done"

What did you end up going with for a steering box?

Bought a Flaming River Vega box. Pricey, but the time available to me to go scrounging is real limited. Work is to busy.

I have a couple ideas for the cross member and may be able to reuse some of the last one too.

Gold03

Removed the cross member. It was 2 1/2 square tubing. It was in the way.

I cut back the stock motor mounts some more, then I used some 1/4 sheet to reinforce the frame and to build a couple pieces to support the front of the motor mounts.

My steering box is tacked in and the linkage mocked up with the pieces from the 1947 Ford car axle. I'm amazed at the shape of the drag link. It's still usable.

The motor mount bracket on the drivers side has a hole for the steering shaft which will only need one u-joint now. I need to make anoyher hole in the back of the mount to clear the shaft as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 53
Here is a picture of what I initially did, and then todays modifications.

gold03

Attachments

• installed 1.jpg
    installed 1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0127.jpg