1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a Ford 8.8 with 4:10 posi, and disk brakes for $200.00. I think I'm going to take it and run that instead of the Toyota rear. Matching bolt patterns and all. Some guys just hate the Japanese parts on a rat.

gold03

It's out of a explorer.

It's a little wider than the Toyota but it is still going to work. This gives me better options for wheels. The 5 by 4 1/2 matches the front axle.

I want to run a wider tire on the back. I don't want to narrow the diff. Just an offset rim is the plan.

I really like the disk breaks for how easy they are to service.

The only problem is I have to wait until I can pick up the diff. To conntinue.
Gold03

Agreed, the explorer axle has the smaller rear brakes on it so it should clear just about any 15" rim thats wide. I know the explorer brakes cleared the 15" weld wheels with no issue.

Been busy welding up the rear frame section and now mocked up the rear suspension again. Hope to go pick up my Ford Differential this sunday.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 104
I have been to busy to post lately. Doing mostly mock up work.

I have the rear suspension mocked up just need to do a little more grinding then it will be ready to weld. I need to work out the drive shaft before I weld though to ensure I have the pinion angle right.

I did a little mock up of the front suspension. I am going to see if a local manufacturer will make me a spring. Not sure about this one.

I found a Ford 8.8 out of a 2001 Sport trac. I need to replace one axle shaft in the rear end. The passenger side is tweeked from some contact to that side in an accident. Housing seems straight. This is a lot bigger and heavier than the Toyota differential, but matches the front bolt pattern.

I have the air bags and brackets for the rear end, but need to finalize the pinion angle before I weld them in as well.

Let me know what you think. I'm at a critical point and could use the feed back before it goes completely off the rails.

I didn't get much of a picture, but I built the panhard bracket. I'll try and get a shot and post it too.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Finally got a picture of my my panhard bracket and bar mocked up. I also started working on my grill. Needed a change so back to body work for a while.

I bird mouth cut the centre of the grill, and angled it to give it the same angle as the front of the hood. I am going to use the fender openings from the original fenders to build my grill shell around the grill. The Grill will be set back in a little more and a surround built out of spare sheet metal from the fenders. I am also going to use part of the grill that had FORD on it in chrome as the bottom of my grill. Just going to flip it over and reshape it to suit my plan and reinstall the chrome letters. A little cutting and welding.[;)

I shot a picture outside so you can see what it looks like so far. I can just turn the whole thing around on my driveway.

gold03

Attachments

• Mocked up.jpg
    Mocked up.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 145
  • pan hard bracket.jpg
    pan hard bracket.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 130
  • pan hard.jpg
    pan hard.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 116
Hey Dr, I'll try and get one. It looks tight at the top in the photo, but the suspension cycles through fine.

Gold03

Here are a few pictures of the panhard bar. That is a pretty good approximation of where it is getting installed. before I can weld, I need to determine the final pinion angle. I plan on using a two piece drive shaft. So I gotta set that up to determine the pinion angle.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 112
The truck came with one. I have all the pieces. If I can build a different cross member and gain the clearance I might go with a one piece, if not it will get a two piece. I really just need to have a good look and see which will work out the easiest.

Right now the drive shaft hits the cross member at the rear of the cab before it reaches the pinion.

The pan hard will rise above the frame on full suspension compression. I didn't want that but it will be OK. I am looking for a fuel tank to go between frame rails. I want one with a flange half way up the side so half sits above the frame. So the bed of the box will sit up high enough to clear the pan hard anyway. I might put an air compressor and my battery behind the pan hard under a false bottom. The battery always seems to be a pain in the butt. I want to keep it out of the engine compartment.

Gold03

Grillin

Here is a partial mock up of my grill. will make pieces for the other side tomorrow out of the old front fender openings.[;) I have all the chrome. the lower piece is what used to sit just below the front of the hood. I am looking for some old truck roof clearance lights for the ends to finnish it off.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 87
You could probably bend your PH bar to a J-bar and keep it a little lower!
It always bothered me to have my PH mount on the rear end so high, lot
of stress!! I know you'll most likely be alright like that, it's just something
that I've tried to avoid!
Looks good though, keep it up and keep us posted!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Latest posts

Back