1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm finding I really like the sheet metal work. Which is a good thing since I plan to chop the roof. I did get the fuel tank filler hole behind the passenger door. I should post a picture. I quite happy with it.

The drive shaft shop is one I did business with about twenty years ago. I had hoped the bad attitude would have gone away, but nope. Some places always seem put out when you walk in.

On the way home today I saw a line of rat rods onthe Henday. Nice to see around here.

Gold03

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm finding I really like the sheet metal work. Which is a good thing since I plan to chop the roof. I did get the fuel tank filler hole behind the passenger door. I should post a picture. I quite happy with it.

The drive shaft shop is one I did business with about twenty years ago. I had hoped the bad attitude would have gone away, but nope. Some places always seem put out when you walk in.

On the way home today I saw a line of rat rods onthe Henday. Nice to see around here.

Gold03

something about businesses that act put out by a customer is something I just don't understand... you are the one paying their bills... Customer service is something I pay a lot of attention to, but sometimes you just don't have options with local businesses...

I need to figure out how to design my front suicide leaf sping. I don't have any way to weigh th front end.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gold03

Got my first section of drive shaft installed. Now I can set up my pinion angle and get the rear end welded in. Looking forward to this part.

Gold03

Busy day. I tacked in my rear suspension. All lined up. Just need to move the panhard bracket a little. I removed my steering column and started settin up my front axle. I need to build the suicide mount and solve the leaf spring challenge. I think I have it figured out. I also figured out how to do a front panhard. Also decision made about steering as well. Going cross steer. Seems a bit of a challenge for me to make it look right on my 49 Ford cab. I think I'm going to mount my shocks off the top of the bones. Some guys don't like anything on the bones because of stress issues, but I'm going to give it a go.

I have to get moving here. I have been camping all summer.

Gold03

I will take pictures soon.

Yes, yes pics, we like pics.
I wondered what you had been up to with the project!
I found it troubling to sort out the weight as well, just had to go off what I had weights for and estimate the rest... we will see how it works out =)

For the spring I am going to use one I have. Building a re arche jig so I can tweak it a little. If I have to make my own first then take it to a spring shop to copy build a new one, that's what I'll do.

Local spring shop got all p***y when I called about having one made. Wanted an engineer to figure it out and then he would build. Didn't have time to figue it out. Damn economy is so hot here these guys don't even want to look at a small project like building one leaf pack. It's all about big transport trucks and big$.

Oh well.

Gold03

Last edited:
So you are thinking it will compress too much under the weight then possibly? I imagine as long as your shackles are at about the right angle, you can make a shim plate to go between the perch and the spring to get the height as you like it. Or perhaps if you had the other leaf spring pack you could add a leaf from that somewhere too, even shortening some of the leafs to keep the staggered leafs.

I find most times when I've gone into a shop I've never dealt with before, its better to work face to face, and see if someone there takes interest in what you are doing. It is a lot easier to blow someone off over the phone too. But yea I imagine money talks for places that make springs..

OK, here are the pictures I said I would post. Don't look to close at my welds.:eek:

Next project gets a complete custom frame on a rotisserie so I can actually weld it so it looks good. On the flat I'm not to bad, but vertical or inverted and it looks like I was on coke.

That front spring is all re-arched as of today. press, move, press, move, press move. Repeat like a thousand times.

Now that I can get it together I will do that and at a later date have someone manufacture a new leaf pack for me. I know it looks like it is crazy high arch, but actually sits down at a almost perfect height when the vehicle weight is on it.

gold03

Attachments

• wish bones in.jpg
    wish bones in.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 141
  • tacked together1.jpg
    tacked together1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 139
  • tacked together2.jpg
    tacked together2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 149
Looking good man, cool that you re-arched your own spring!
does look like a lot of leafs, but considering the truck had 2x that many originally, should be softer ride than original I imagine!

The spring is a lot softer than I expected. Originally I removed haf of the leaves, but when I set the truck down it just about went righ to the axle.

I am going to look around for a crane scale so I can weigh the front end with my engine crane. Then I can do the math and have it on hand when I go to the spring shop.

Now I'm outa town for another week on work:( more delays.

I need to start hunting for rims again, as well as a deal on Vega steering box. speedway seems the source fo the box.

Gold03

Got a little welding done on the frame last night. Worked out the design for the suicide perch. I need to get someone with a plasma to cut it out for me.

Gold03

rebelrust "That's a really stout looking rear end. Cant wait to see more."

I tried that line once..... She punched me in the mouth[S

Go figure

Gold03

Pictures! Everyone here is visual, so here you go!. I finally got the rear suspension welded in. Next time I will build my frame on a table so I can weld in a normal position. I am finding TIG welding in an of position, like upside down, difficult. I am happy with how it is turning out.

Gotta quit gulping coffee. Makes my hand shake when I'm trying hard to not twitch :(

gold03

Attachments

• panhard frame bracket.jpg
    panhard frame bracket.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 150
  • rear suspension complete.jpg
    rear suspension complete.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 144
  • airbag bracket welds3.jpg
    airbag bracket welds3.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 132
  • upper air spring perch lt.jpg
    upper air spring perch lt.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 139
  • panhard axle bracket 2.jpg
    panhard axle bracket 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 143
I haven't posted for a while. I really got into the RV and camping this summer.

Today I got my butt back out to the garage and back to work. Started the day by buying a Thermodyne plasma cutter. I cut out the main pieces for the suicide perch out of 1/4 cold rolled steel, clamped them together and ground them all smooth and uniform. The perch has really held me up. I didn't have any way to cut it out until today. I think I love my Thermodyne:p.

I will get some pictures up shortly.

Gold03

Lets see if my iPad will post a picture.

Dig that technology! That is a quick mock up of the main body of the perch. Not tacked or anything yet. It is three pieces of 1/4 cold rolled.

Gold03

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 82
Finally making some progress. I have my front spring mount tacked in place. Made it out of 1/4 cold rolled. The flat surface of the mount will be two layers of 1/4 cold rolled. Got the spring mocked into place.

The plasma cutter makes this so easy. I need to get a little better at my technique so I don't have to grind so much, but its coming.

I'm going to gusset the side of the mount against the front cross member as seen in the photos. 1/4 cold rolled again.

gold03

Attachments

• gusset on mount.jpg
    gusset on mount.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 96
  • mount 1.jpg
    mount 1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 94
  • mount 2.jpg
    mount 2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 96
  • mount 3.jpg
    mount 3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 93
Perch looks great! We expect great things from you and your Thermodyne from now on.

rebelrust "That's a really stout looking rear end. Cant wait to see more."

I tried that line once..... She punched me in the mouth[S

We need a 'spitting beer on my keyboard' smilie!

Latest posts

Back