1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Glad to be moving ahead again.

I bought a BBQ with a Rotisserie this summer. Now I'm almost to fat to get under the truck. So the new cross member is going to have to wait.

I just came back from a road trip through Washington and Oregon. I gotta make a comment about how friendly and polite everyone was. I'm from Canada and spent a week and a half looking through the two states with my wife. I was impressed on more than one by the people I met. Thank you.

Gold03

forward progress is always good. Wish I could figure out whats wrong with my plasma cutter..... guess that would mean that I actually have to open it up and look it......

So today I tested the spring perch to see if I got the ride height right. I nailed it!:D

First time! I am a little surprised, but I will take it.

I'm not going to do my own welding on this piece. I have a buddy who builds oil rigs for a living and he will weld it up for me. I owe him a favour, so he is getting the box of cuban cigars I recently came into for doing the welding. He smokes, I don't.

I finally figured out how I'm going to mount my rear shocks. Just need a couple of tabs for each one and a shock mount bolt off the back of the four link bracket.

Front shocks I think will get mounted of of the bottom of the perch pins. Depends on if I can find the room to mount the shocks that far up front. grill might need trimming, or the shocks moved to another local.

Now I need to find my rims. I want 15 in front and 16 in back. That will give me the best options for tire size I am looking for. Steel wheels unless I find some alloy that fit the build.

gold03

You should have seen how I measured to establish the drop on the perch. six foot pry bar and a measuring tape. When I got the truck pried off the front suspension to the right height I had to measure from the cross member to the spring. :eek: used a bunch of chain to retain any sudden release of spring tension. I had to go through the motions a few times till I got everything just right. [S

My wife was a good sport and gave me a hand. " hey honey, can you hold this"

I need some anchors in the shop floor and driveway for that kinda thing. Could do it without any help then.

Gold03

Two steps forward and one back. Started the day by breaking a perfectly good drivers door glass. :(

To crowded, to impatient.

I did get my front panhard bar brackets welded on and my bar mocked up. I just need to bye one end and drill a hole.

gold03

Attachments

• panhard6.jpg
    panhard6.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 147
  • panhard7.jpg
    panhard7.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 124
  • panhard 4.jpg
    panhard 4.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 116
  • panhard 3.jpg
    panhard 3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 118
  • panhard 2.jpg
    panhard 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 105
  • panhard 1.jpg
    panhard 1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 95
Sorry about your door glass.... thats a bummer for sure... at least flat glass is cheap..
Nice to see your whole front end just about together!

I hear ya Mike. I was trying to adjust the door to get it to line up with the cab and removed part of the weather strip. Door catches were worn out and wouldn't adjust far enough. Tried to hared and, POP:mad:

Today I went and bought new door catches. Stainless steel sold locally. Should have done that first.

Today I also cut out the top mounts for my rear shocks. Bought a set of bolts and spacers for the lower ends from SoCal here again local.

Started the lower mounts for the front shocks. I'm going to mount them off the top of my bones right where it starts it kick down. going to weld a 1/4 inch cold rolled rail along the top of the bone and weld a tube matching shock eye diameter along the top of the rail.

I'll get pictures up when I get it done. I need to get the tubing and the supplier is closed today.

Getting the hang of the plasma cutter. I'm using less grinding discs to clean up is what that means.

gold03

Thanks Klink. I'm getting excited to get wheels on it.

I'm struggling at this point with a decision on tires. I built it to use 32 X 18 Pro street tires. Now my preference has changed to a narrow tire. I can't find anything except heavy duty tires. I need a rear tire of 32 inch diameter.

Gold03

that avatar still drives me nuts! I keep watching it out the corner of my eye in case it starts to come after me.

Nice work on the truck... this thing is tits

Torchman, Lol, I think it was the result of some scotch whiskey and a program on my Mac.

Thanks for the feed back on the truck.

DR, Im not having any luck at Coker so I have emailed them. Their site doesn't seem to allow me to search the way I want to. I never looked at Speedway for tires.

gold03

Ordered my front shock brackets today as well as an aluminium radiator. Shipping doubles the cost of the radiator, but its still less than half what I pay here.

I'm going to do the universal Chevy radiator conversion I've seen done.

gold03

that sucks .....

Ordered my front shock brackets today as well as an aluminium radiator. Shipping doubles the cost of the radiator, but its still less than half what I pay here.

I'm going to do the universal Chevy radiator conversion I've seen done.

gold03

shipping is as much as the radiator....crazy....:(

Latest posts

Back