1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my radiator and shock mounts from Speedway today[cl

That is a pretty heavy duty radiator! I'm going to look for some aluminium tubing to do the additional outlets instead of cutting the originals in half.

Shock mounts will work great. Just need the shocks now so I can do the welding.

Gold03

Good deal....

That is a pretty heavy duty radiator! I'm going to look for some aluminium tubing to do the additional outlets instead of cutting the originals in half.

Gold03

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together??? :D

Gold03

What rad did you go with? pics?

Hey DR, I bought Speedways universal Chev radiator. I have a flathead, but some one posted how to add the additional outlets. It's heavy aluminium, and I'm going to TIG weld them in. They get great reviews. Heavy duty. I think I can save fourth pounds over the old brass one.

I wonder what scrap brass is worth.

Gold03

No progress this week. I'm out of town on training:(

I did get some work done on the front shock mounts. Of course they can't get installed right of the box... Not when I have a new plasma cutter... They have to get modified. I raised the mount one inch to put the shocks in the right travel.

I also designed my lower mounts. I'm mounting them off the split bone. I needed to come up with a bracket to do that as well as reinforce the bone for any potential added stress from the shock. I will post pictures when I get one mocked up.

Gold03

Got the front shock mounts welded up today. Just been real hesitant to do it. I wanted to TIG weld it but there is to much contamination in the old steel. It just gets real porous. So I stick welded everything together. Does not look as nice, but thats all I can do. It is a rat rod after all and I have to stop getting picky about how it looks. I need to build this one and learn, then build another. Get pickier as I go, not start out that way.

Got the front suicide mount welded tot he front cross member. Kinda looks like bird s**t, but is welded on real well.

Gotta find some wheels now. Once I bolt on the shock, get tires and wheels, it will be a roller!

pictures to follow.

gold03

Not a very good photo, but here is how its looking. Upper shock mounts are also going to mount the head lights.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 147
We are in the middle of a deep freeze here. To cold to work in the unseated shop:(

Going to warm up next week it looks like. I need to get out to SoCal and buy shocks. Then I need to finalize my decision on tires. MT 32 X 18 or tall and skinny. I think the big MT will be more forgiving on the ride.

Gold03

Thanks sgt. I had to exchange the front shocks I bought. First ones were to long.

I'm not getting much done though. I am rebuilding the front end in my 2003 Rubicon. My wife said its like driving a bowl of pudding. :(

Ball joints are all pounded out. 200,000 km so I shouldn't complain to much. I did get to buy a new ball joint press though. [cl

Gold03

Finally got some time to work on this thing. Had a good friend come over and re-weld the suicide perch to cross member for me. My buddy Huck used to build oil drilling rigs and did it for me. For some reason my welds looked like I pushed poop out of a tube[S. Thank goodness for good friends and carbide die grinder bits. I got a do over:)

Now I can move ahead with a little pride. I'm sure what I did would have held up fine, but that particular piece needs to look real good. I will probably sell this and do another one, so it has to look good.

My stick welding needs a little work, work, work.[;)

Gold03

I know....you want pictures. I will, but right now it's blowing in a north west winter storm, and its colder than a witches booby here.

Yep, your weather is arriving at my doorstep now. Brrr.

Hard to make pretty stick welds without lots of practice. Some electrodes make better looking welds than others.

Yeah. Huck had some rods made by "ArcTec". I need to look into them. He said they weld like 7018, but a little easier. Since the truck is intact he had to weld up and inverted. I learned a little just watching and listening to his simple advice.

Going to get real cold tonight, so tomorrow is likely a bust. Going to about -30c.

Gold03

Got down to -28 Celsius. That wouldn't have stopped me years ago, but I'm older now and don't like the cold as much. My garage isn't insulated or heated. -15 is about all I'm interested in. After that stuff starts to break. My compressor makes ice, not just condensation. My air tools freeze up.

I ran gas to he shop but I still need to install a furnace. In the summer I guess.

Gold03

Latest posts

Back