Master Cylinder Modifications

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
I have a 61 GM truck master cylinder on my 51 Ford Gasser. The Gasser has a hydralic clutch. The problem was a stiff clutch with only 2" inches of travel. There is a web-site, www.brakecylinder.com, that can sleeve master cylinders to the appropriate bore size, to work with late model slave cylinders. Check the listed web-site under odds and ends. There are photos of a International and GM master cylinders that have had this conversion. They can also resleeve wornout master cylinders for any car for those that need period correct pieces.

I'm running a circa '66 Chevy dual master cylinder in my '27. Somehow I lucked out and the slave cylinder I found for it matched up and operated well. But that is a great tip to remember in case I ever use one in some other application.

Don

Not to hijack this thread,But gettin ready to plumb the master to the proportioning valve.I was thinkin of goin braided line instead of hard line.Any and all feedback is welcomed.I never used braided on the master before.

i'm by no means a brake expert but i believe that is a no no. The hard steel lines will not expand under pressure. I'm sure you can get some braided lines that can handle the pressure and might work pretty well, but with hard steel lines there is no doubt that it will work.

There are lines that are made for that type of install.I know Russell makes that and stainless steel brake offers them.My ? is has anyone ever installed them without any problems in the future.

Latest posts

Back