Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't pass up a sunny 45 degree day in February.:eek::D :cool:
Out in the shop and working on the final shaping of the starboard side new chine despite lingering Low BP issues.
Planned down the height as well as the width. Refitted old planks to check for fit. Looks good so far. Once I have the inner ply installed along with a layer of 3M 5200 the new bottom planks will be flush to the edge of the chine cover. I'm about 75 percent of the way done with this side. Just have to finish up the last 4 feet that goes towards to bow. This is the tricky part.
Keep on keeping on.....
Tortchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 8
Glad to see ya working at it Torchie. All the wood shavings from today's work should be enough to heat the garage tomorrow. ;)

Funny you should say that Dozer....
Scrap Mahogany and saw dust was one of the ways they fed the boilers at the old Chris Craft plant. :D :cool:
Torchie

In an effort to shake off the winter blues.....
Got out to the shop today. Changed the front tire on the KIA that was going flat and then pulled it out of the shop and parked it.
No plates and no Insurance so it was just taking up garage space.
It's been a good vehicle for us. 300,000 miles and one of the few carsI can drive with my fake leg.:eek::cool:
Making room to get back to the boat project as it's supposed to get warmer here starting tomorrow.
Hopeful that the next posts shows progress.:eek::cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 13
Some days it just makes you wonder who you P%#$$ed off in a former life.[ddd
Woke up yesterday to no heat. Spent the better part of the morning trying to get a service person to even call back.
By noon I knew I had to fix it myself so down on the floor I went. Never a pretty sight(But not as ugly as watching me get back up again.:eek: [ddd) as the dogs get real nervous when they see me down there.:eek:
All it needed was a new thermocoupler but you had to remove the entire burner assembly to replace itLuckily the local hardware is still open so I picked one up.
"Houston. We have heat again."
Boat time today.
Making the SB side look like the PS.
More trimming of the new chine. This time starting from the bow and working backwards.
Surprising how fast these planks loose their shape once they are looses even after being screwed down for 70 years.
I figure I've got about 8 hours of solid work left before I can progress to the next step on the bottom.
2 hrs. down and 6 more to go.:cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5
Yep. I think they called it a "Pilot light control Line."
I've just always called it a thermo coupler. Hardware store knew what I meant. :D :cool:

I understood perfectly. In my first life, I had several LPG certifications and thermocouple or thermocoupler are what I know them as. :D

I'm just surprised that you have a mechanical gas control in these digital/electronic times.

I understood perfectly. In my first life, I had several LPG certifications and thermocouple or thermocoupler are what I know them as. :D

I'm just surprised that you have a mechanical gas control in these digital/electronic times.

Its from 98 or so I think Crank. Good shape Nice and clean and I keep it maintained. Just one of the consumable parts. I have fixed the thermo couplers before by cleaning them off with some fine steel wool. And would have tried that had i not been able to source one quickly.
Torchie

Mechanical wins the reliability contest every time... not to mention, you can't buy a circuit board at the hardware store. [cl

Indeed Crank.
My friends at the local hardware store seemed a bit surprised when Mrs T told them we were fixing our furnace.:D

Unless a dirt dobber decides to take up residency [ddd
Better than a circuit board going out :(

I found out where all our honey bees go to die when I pulled out that burner unit. Right down the stack.:eek::p
Don't mention dirt dobbers to Mrs T. We were in the process of snaking out our 15 foot long dryer vent when she had her heart incident last fall. Its was plug right up with some thing like them.:eek:
Back to the story.
Pulled the bottom planks from the PS today to be able to reference it when working on the SB side.
That's it for today. Time to go play with my.......er. I mean practice my electric bass.[ddd:D:cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 9
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 8
First decent day around here. You must be having ok temps to be working on the boat. Do you have a finish date?

First decent day around here. You must be having ok temps to be working on the boat. Do you have a finish date?

LOL. Yeah bob. A year ago.:eek::p [ddd Well not quite. But I should be farther along then I am.
My take on it is this. My bro in law had this boat for almost 25 years and didn't do a whole lot to it. What's the rush.:D
After I get the bottom on. Then I have to flip it and start to re plank the hull sides as well as the decks. Then I've got to put together that Y block for it. Then I've got to stain and apply around 12 coats of varnish. Then....Then...
Well, you get the picture. :D
The last Riviera I did took about 4-5 months of working on it as time allowed with another guy. And we didn't do anywhere near the frame work or bottom replacement I'm doing with this one. That boat is still around and gets used every summer.
And we all know how slow I've gotten.:eek:
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie

Latest posts

Back