gas not getting to carb??help!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double check that filter, it could have stopped up quickly with all the trash!!
Also was the hose you used fuel line?? If it wasn't it would collapse a lot easier, not being reinforced!!

update got caddy running,,now its idling way too high....

took fuel filter off and hooked hard gas line back up..i guess the rubber hose was collapsing..so now its running but idling way too high..where do i start,and what all do i check with this issue...

Yep....start with the idle speed screw...

took fuel filter off and hooked hard gas line back up..i guess the rubber hose was collapsing..so now its running but idling way too high..where do i start,and what all do i check with this issue...

the one near the throttle side of the linkage....then when you get that adjusted down, use the idle mixture screws to get the best idle...i.e. roughness and idle speed..then readjust the idle speed screw.... couldn't remember the year of the car so the pics are for an afb and a rochester...
should show the idle speed screw on the linkage side and maybe a bit of the idle mixture screws on the front...not sure if that helps....if it has a quadrajet it will be the same anyway...as on most vehicle....
If the idle speed screw doesn't do it then something is holding the throttle blades open...choke linkage, crud around the blades, or possibly a vacuum leak..... hope it helps some.....

Attachments

• afb.jpg
    afb.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Rochester.jpg
    Rochester.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 4
another update!!

messed around with the idle screw thats located near the linkage..got it idled down close to where it needs to be but its idling really rough,especially when its in gear...whats my next step???

that was suppose to be done before i got it but i may get some new plugs and new points or atleast reset the points....

a few pics..hopefully on the road soon...

couple pics i took today

Attachments

• 1147.jpg
    1147.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1146.jpg
    1146.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 11
Check to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak on the carb, with it idling high and running rough after you set the idle down it sounds like that's the problem.

That's called run on or dieseling.....caused by

to high an idle.... could there be wires crossed causing the idle..wrong firing order.... if it's got a vac leak, you should be able to tell by covering the carb throat with your hand and it should either smooth out or if there is no vac leak it will want to stall out....
High idle speeds will cause it to "diesel" and run on (sounds like spark knock) when you shut it off...try the carb thing and see what happens..or just spray some carb cleaner in the throat of the carb...if it smooths out or idles higher it's got a major vac leak.....
keep us advised....cool ride though....

Sounds like the carb needs to be taken apart and cleaned, with the problems you've had getting fuel to the carb, I'd be shocked if it didn't have at least a little bit of junk in the carb filter!!!
Kind of sounds like it's loading up which would explain all but the fas idle!!

to high an idle.... could there be wires crossed causing the idle..wrong firing order.... if it's got a vac leak, you should be able to tell by covering the carb throat with your hand and it should either smooth out or if there is no vac leak it will want to stall out....
High idle speeds will cause it to "diesel" and run on (sounds like spark knock) when you shut it off...try the carb thing and see what happens..or just spray some carb cleaner in the throat of the carb...if it smooths out or idles higher it's got a major vac leak.....
keep us advised....cool ride though....

covered the carb with my hands and it cut off immediately...maybe i need to just get a new carb or have this one built???

stall test

That the engine stalled immediately when you covered the carb is good - no vacuum leaks. Has the carburetor been rebuilt? If it has not for years, the gaskets may have dried up and now aren't sealing well. It really should be rebuilt. According to my 1965 Motors manual, it could have a Carter AFB or a Rochester 4GC.

Latest posts

Back