Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endicott_jb

Havre, MT but may as well be the north pole
So, my girlfriend really wants a car of her own and I've been collecting parts for a while bit by bit with nothing really planned until now. Started with a 28 essex 4 door that's missing a front door, a 36-41 ford front end, 9" housing, and now a 50 dollar 292 with transmission and divorced t-case. The plan so far is to cut the 4 door down to a coupe(once we get a set of quarters) chop the top 4", and rebuild the 292. It ran when the guy pulled it 2 years ago but 2 hard winters outside with just duct tape on the intake left the cylinders rusty. Tore the engine down over the last 2 days and gonna take it down to a shop in great falls to see if the block is salvageable. Anyhow, pictures will follow in the next few days/weeks. Really praying that the block can be saved.

Sounds like a great plan. I'll be watching for sure. I think it is great that your lady friend is getting involved. Even better that you like the idea. Bravo!

Random thughts:
If you can't ind coupe 1/4 panels, another PU would always be an option. Just long enough to get behind the tires, maybe.
Or, put the axle where it belongs on the 4-door body. With just the back doors, it would look a lot like a fat Bantam. :D

I am just full of great ideas for other peoples projects. [ddd

Good engine choice. They have a sound of their own. Good luck finding Essex coupe quarters.

Good engine choice. They have a sound of their own. Good luck finding Essex coupe quarters.

Hey I have most of a 29 Essex coupe body in my back yard I could part with. Cowl and windshield frame as well as the rear half with quarters and back of the roof. The doors I have are model A so they don't really match...[P

I found a pic of when it came home...

Attachments

• 29essex2.jpg
    29essex2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 104
Hey I have most of a 29 Essex coupe body in my back yard I could part with. Cowl and windshield frame as well as the rear half with quarters and back of the roof. The doors I have are model A so they don't really match...[P

Thanks for the offer but nh is a bit of a jaunt for parts and with no vacation time available this year, it'd be next to impossible to get it to MT. I've got a lead on a set of 28/29 a wuarters here in montana bit I've gotta call the guy about them.

In other news, 292 is tore down and checked to see if it's been bored out and it's bored to .060 over and the only machine shop I could get a hold of is closed while the owner is out getting chemo treatment so I'm on the hunt for another engine. Fortunately for me, my buddy knows where a complete 56 ford f250 is so we'll go see if we can make a deal. Anyhow, here's a few pictures of the stuff we've collected and the worst cylinders of the 292.

Ford front end assembly. Will end up converting it to disc brakes and splitting the bones.

And the essex body. Pretty good shape for a 100 year old vehicle.

Yeah, rust in cylinders is a crime.

Anyhow, that's it for today. Have to remember to call the guy on the quarters this afternoon.

Woohoo!!! Went and visited the guy I got my 33 from today and told him I was looking for some quarters to turn the essex into a coupe so he took me back and showed me a pretty trashed model a. It's only got one door, no dash, no fuel tank on the cowl, and no decklid but the quarters are in great shape. So we struck a deal on the whole thing. Waited for the woman to get home, told her about the deal and it looks like we'll be picking it up on friday. Little by little we'll have enough parts to build a car.

So we went and picked up the coupe today. She's really mangled but heck, all we're using are the quarters anyway. I'm not convinced it's model a but who cares right? Anyway, pictures of it in the bed of my truck. I'll unload it after I get some space cleared in the shop. A few different projects going on at once lately.

So we went and picked up the coupe today. She's really mangled but heck, all we're using are the quarters anyway. I'm not convinced it's model a but who cares right? Anyway, pictures of it in the bed of my truck. I'll unload it after I get some space cleared in the shop. A few different projects going on at once lately.

28/9 Sport Coupe.

Latest posts

Back