How often do you change your oil?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5,000 km-ish (3,000 miles). Sometimes a little more. In my vintage cars, I change it even more frequently.

I change at 3,000. After I see how black my oil is after 3,000 miles, no way I'm going to keep using it in my engine! I've put 100,000-200,000 miles on several cars over the years with hardly any problems and attribute it to changing oil regularly! Maybe some truckers can tell us how often they change, they should know better than anyone!

Toad

3000-3500 on my stuff around here. I've always did 20,000 on my semi trucks, but Detroit says 50,000 on the DD15 like my current truck has, so that's what I've been doing with it. It holds 11 gallons.....

Between 3-5K on my vehicles that use conventional oil but have 6 quart capacity, Dakota, Mustang GT. RAV4 get synthetic so 5-6K. Any vehicles with 4 cylinders, especially those that don't even have 4 quarts are watched closely at that 3K mark. Cheap insurance to change it. We put so few miles on the Mustang that I only change it on average once a year. Jim

3K or six month which ever comes first. I don't drive a lot. [cl
On the bike about every 2k, only two quarts and I run one and a half qt. reg oil and half qt. Lucas oil treatment. Air cooled and ride hard! :D

Around 10 on synthetic. Dino oil, 5.
Diesels can go longer because diesel fuel doesn't break oil down as quickly as gasoline does due to the volume. Bio fuel breaks oil down faster, especially e85. Use any other filter than a Fram and you'll be fine for longer oil life.

Around 10 on synthetic. Dino oil, 5.
Diesels can go longer because diesel fuel doesn't break oil down as quickly as gasoline does due to the volume. Bio fuel breaks oil down faster, especially e85. Use any other filter than a Fram and you'll be fine for longer oil life.

I change my diesel oil overy 3k as hard is a work my truck I wouldnt let it go much past that

On my big trucks, I kept track of the time running and not the miles, as 3/4 of the time I operated off-road, going slow or even backing up, [with a mechanical driven odometer].
When I ran twenty four hours a day, I would change oil every two weeks, [ we usually got Sundays off on the log haul]. On the jobs that were only twelve, thirteen or fourteen hours a day I would go a month between oil changes. This strategy seemed to work. My 1979 truck with 36,000 hrs has the original motor and transmission in it, [ both rebearinged twice].

My old vehicles - 3,000 miles.
My new stuff- whatever the manufacturer says.
My Cadillac - I dump a used quart in every 200-500 miles depending on how fast I drive. :p

I remember years ago Sterling was arguing with work about covering the warranty because UPS wasn't going to change oil but every 40,000 miles. They scrap their tractors at about 2 million miles if they need to be or not. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back