Old school hotrod model A pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odies dad

I am working on a 30 / 31 model A pickup and shooting for the old school look. I chopped the roof off a closed cab to make a roadster and I am in the process of extending the cab by 6" so I may actually be able to sit in it.
I am making the frame rails from 1 1/2×4 rectangular tubing and will use the front and rear crossmembers as well as the frame horns from an original frame. I want to stick with the buggy spring suspension, but will likely modify it some.
I am try to stick with 60s or earlier type technology as much as possible. I want it to look like something that has been sitting in a barn for 50 years. I hope to power it with a 52 Desoto 276 hemi.
I am looking for some pictures of details that I can copy or modify and for lots of advice. I am trying to build this on the cheap. I will probably have more in to building the motor than I will have in the rest of the car.
I am looking for a used dropped front axle. I put in a bid on a rolled s10 for the rear axle. I am scouring various scrap piles for steel to build it.
Some day I will try to post some pics of what I have going.
I'm looking forward to learning lots from you guys.

Yeah, I am on some gun forums as well. Lots of us need to look at the pictures so we don't have to read so much.

412764814.jpg

This is what I started with. I got 2 frames and sets of running gear and the cab in pieces that I hauled in the back of a Dakota pickup 20 years ago.
412764813.jpg

This is with the box which was made into a trailer many years ago. This is after I whacked off the roof.
412764815.jpg

A closer shot of the cab.
412764817.jpg

412764816.jpg

I cut the back off the cab. After stressing about how to match the body line on my extension panels, I found this to be easy and fun. Creased the edges and bent over a piece of exhaust pipe and a rod. I thought it turned out good. I will use panel adhesive to join them.
I need to get to work on the frame so I can figure out where to make cuts and such for channeling the cab.

By the way, the frame in the picture was partially restored by Norm Hall who was a race car driver back in the 60's. I got a title for that frame with his signature and a newspaper article about him when I got the parts. Unfortunately I won't be able to use much of the stuff he worked on.
So far, I have about $300 into the project not counting tool stuff. I paid $100 for 2 sticks of 1.5x4" rectangle tubing for the frame, and $200 for the trailer/ box. The cab and frames were given to me. I am trying to keep the total build under $3000. Looking for used parts and swiping parts off the stuff in my boneyard and the scrap piles. I have been watching lots of youtube videos trying to get ideas too.

I got the extension panels screwed on. I will use the screws to clamp the panels when I glue them on then remove the screws.
I found a set of heads for the 276 hemi at a swap meet. Now I need to get the rest of the motor.
I didn't win the bid on the s10, but I did find another rear end for cheap.
I will download the latest pictures soon and post them.

412764814.jpg

This is what I started with. I got 2 frames and sets of running gear and the cab in pieces that I hauled in the back of a Dakota pickup 20 years ago.
412764813.jpg

This is with the box which was made into a trailer many years ago. This is after I whacked off the roof.
412764815.jpg

A closer shot of the cab.
412764817.jpg

412764816.jpg

I cut the back off the cab. After stressing about how to match the body line on my extension panels, I found this to be easy and fun. Creased the edges and bent over a piece of exhaust pipe and a rod. I thought it turned out good. I will use panel adhesive to join them.
I need to get to work on the frame so I can figure out where to make cuts and such for channeling the cab.

Nice work on the body lines ,would shure like to see how you did that in detail .

412774586.jpg

Not glued together yet

Bending the panels was easy.
Mark the locations of the edges of the bends and clamp the panel to a flat piece of metal with a square edge for an anvil.
Tap the edge with a hammer to create a straight bend just a few degrees from flat.
Do this with the top and bottom of each curve.
I used a short piece of exhaust pipe for creating the larger curve. Just bend the metal over it evenly. I used a piece of 1/2" rod for the smaller curve.
Worked for me.

I used a pneumatic flange tool to create the flanges on the sides before I made the body lines.

I ran across a bunch of model a's from Kansas yesterday in the middle of Minnesota, so I stopped to talk to them. I found out that my truck is a 30.
Is there any way to determine what year my box is?
Google search led to dead ends.

Stopped by the DMV today with some pictures and paperwork to see what else I needed and walked out with a set of plates. Surprized the heck out of me. This thing has no VIN, but the gal at the desk said that they would contact me if they needed any more info.
Now I need to get to work and build the rest of the car so I have something to fasten the plates to.

Wow....what state do you live in??

No title or paperwork per se and you get a set of plates? Wow...:eek: Good for you my friend....

Small town Minnesota
I don't have a title yet, but I didn't think I would get this far this soon.

Got a little more done yesterday. I got the front and rear crossmembers removed from one of the old frames. I still need to cut off the frame horns. Next step will be constructing the new frame. I am rescouring the net for videos and other tutorials on frame construction, so if anyone has a good link for me to check out, I would love to hear from you.
I am supposed to pick up an S10 rear end this afternoon. I am planning to strip most or all of the mounting plates from the axel and attach all the stuff from one of the A rear ends so I can use the buggy frame suspension.

Stopped by the DMV today with some pictures and paperwork to see what else I needed and walked out with a set of plates. Surprized the heck out of me. This thing has no VIN, but the gal at the desk said that they would contact me if they needed any more info.
Now I need to get to work and build the rest of the car so I have something to fasten the plates to.

Down here, the As were titled with a title number and the serial number went by the motor number...no specific vin# . The first thing they asked at the title office was whether the motor was original......nope...:rolleyes:
I then had to produce numbers for the motor I was using. In the afadavit I was supposed to give vin# for the car it came out of. Well, let me see, I says....I bought the motor as a crate reman...I have no idea! Then I had to produce born date info...etc. It was starting to get stupid but worked out well after bitching about taking 3 days to do a 15 minute title change, when all I was trying to do was enable myself to pay em more money....[S

Latest posts

Back