1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's hopefully gonna be a whole lot of difference between my rusty ass truck looking like crap and it being unsafe. I plan on building it with my wife and kids in mind and therefore It will be very safe before I ever hit the road in it. I really don't think leaving the original patina makes a rat rod unsafe. It's Irresponsible builders that can turn a rat rod into a death trap.

Thunder1 - "The Rat Poet"

"Just Trust In Your Rust!"

Last edited:
I finished up the body today. I flipped it over so I could finish welding up the floor frame. Like I've said before, I don't like overhead welding!! :eek: I then sprayed 3M rubberized undercoating on the bottom. It helps sound proof a little and will protect the metal.

003-20.jpg

I then finished welding the roof where I split it for the chop an slapped some bondo on it. Then it was sprayed with some flat orange spray paint.

004-19.jpg

I also finished the welding under the back window. Looks like I'm going to have to spray the rest of the top.

006-21.jpg

Last edited:
The finished chop looks great. You'd never know it had been if you didn't know better. Is that your first attempt at it?? If it is - Wow!

Thunder1

The finished chop looks great. You'd never know it had been if you didn't know better. Is that your first attempt at it?? If it is - Wow!

Thunder1

That's the first chop I've done. But when I used to build dirt stock cars we would cut the roofs off to build the cages so you could weld on top of the pipes. When done we would weld them back on.

That's the first chop I've done. But when I used to build dirt stock cars we would cut the roofs off to build the cages so you could weld on top of the pipes. When done we would weld them back on.

Then that would explain why it looks so good! Some experience whether its stock cars or rat rods can go along way. You obviously remember those days well!

Thunder1

Put the body back onto the frame this morning. I used a piece of an old tire between the body and frame mount as a bushing.

001-18.jpg

I cut the heads off 2 bolts, tapered them, and threaded them into the frame mounts. These serve as a pilot to help align the body when I set it on the frame. I lined up the body with the cherry picker and dropped it down over the pilot bolts and once it was on I removed the pilots and put the bolts in.

002-20.jpg

I finished up my headers also. I used VW exhaust tips in the ends and wrapped them up with header wrap to help insulate them. They are pretty close to the alternator, steering box and brake lines. I also didn't have to grind my welds down to look pretty.

005-21.jpg

003-21.jpg

I bleed the master cylinder and then mounted up the brake lines. It's ready to bleed the brakes. One note when bending up brake lines make sure to put several extra bend in them to help take up any flex or vibrations between the frame and the body plus it's easier to hook up then if you made a straight line from one point to another.

004-20.jpg

I also installed the high torqe starter I had for my 400. It has the straight dual bolt hole pattern for both 153 and 168 tooth flexplate. I noticed the 400 has a staggered bolt mounting pattern so this one won't work on the 400 but it will on the 250. I used a 168 tooth flexplate off a 350 so I needed to use a straight bolt pattern starter for a 168 tooth flexplate. Make sure to check the nose to flexplate clearance and the starter teeth to flexplate teeth clearance.

006-22.jpg

Good to see some more progress DMW. I've been wondering when you might get us some more pictures? The VW pipes look cool wrapped up. I can't wait to see it road ready. I'm as anxious as you are - believe me!

Thunder1

Thanks Guys!

Got the bed on too today. Hooked up the steering. Bled the brakes,
only one flare leaked and all it needed was tightening. Brake fluid sure make good epoxy floor cleaner. Yea, I have brakes. I'll be able to stop! Now to get it running! Still seems like a million things to do. Wiring, carbs, sound proofing, interior, wipers, front window!

Getting it ready to drop on the frame.

008-16.jpg

Now just all the little things that take forever.

009-16.jpg

010-15.jpg

Probably won't get much work done on it for the next 2 weeks. We're going to the NM State Fair tomorrow. I'm going to pig out on Fair Food. YUM!
Then next week we're going to New Hampshire for NASCAR races and play tourist in Boston. When we get back I have a car show at the fair "Mopars on the Midway" Sat the 20th. I'll take my AMX just to be different it's the Mopar Stepchild.

The truck looks great dmw. It came out really nice. Don't overdose on fair food and don't forget your camera when you go to the Mopar show.

Latest posts

Back