1951 Ford F1

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks sweet dmw56. Did you save the pieces of the door that you chopped out to use as filler pieces for stretching the window opening?

Hey Dmw56 your truck is really looking great. I have to commend you for how fast your moving along.
I would however like to offer a little advice on your chop ( it does look great btw ) I know a fellow up here that chopped his exactly as you have, meaning without widening the roof as it came down. Now he chopped his 5" so the problem he found was amplified, but he did run into a problem. Because, as you know the roof is basically a piramidal shape, the base being wider than the top. What he didn't realize was that the agles front and rear were different as well so as the roof came down this was amplified. Meaning that the A pillars have more angle tipping in towards the center than the B pillars do. This results in a twist needing to be built into the doors window frame so the gaps follow the roof properly. I'll bet you see what's coming next...... right, the door window now needs to twist to fit the opening. He solved part of the problem by modifying a reinstalling the vent window. I'm also going to assume that because you have only chopped yours 4 inches that the problem is much less. Just a heads up before you go trying to put a one piece window in your doors you may want to check to see if it will work out before you go to all that work.
I chopped mine the same as you, 4" below the rear window, but I also stretched my cab through the doors 4" and laid the A pillars back. This evened out the problem that I described above, plus gave me gobs of leg room.
I hope this helps you out. :D

roddguy

hey that chop looks awesome! I've been waiting to see that...
I want to chop 4" out of my lid as well, but I would like to ask one question (purely out of ignorance) has anyone ever tried to lay back the windshield post so as to not have to split the roof?? I have never chopped a top before so I'm not trying to B/S but would like to know if its even an option. Anyway thanks man for all that inspiration-- or was that perspiration:eek:

I want to chop 4" out of my lid as well, but I would like to ask one question (purely out of ignorance) has anyone ever tried to lay back the windshield post so as to not have to split the roof?? I have never chopped a top before so I'm not trying to B/S but would like to know if its even an option. Anyway thanks man for all that inspiration-- or was that perspiration:eek:

Yes, I did save the door pieces to use and the "A" pillar piece for the roof.

Thanks for the heads up. When I put the door frames on I noticed that the tops of the frames will need to be angled inwards now. I don't think I'll be using door glass at all. Thanks guys I'm learning as I go. :D

Last edited:

Yes, I did it preacher, but more because I also stretched my cab. (made longer doors)

Yes, I did save the door pieces to use and the "A" pillar piece for the roof.

Thanks for the heads up. When I put the door frames on I noticed that the tops of the frames will need to be angled inwards now. I don't think I'll be using door glass at all. Thanks guys I'm learning as I go. :D

That was exactly my point about the window frame now having a twist in it. Your going to find that the A pillar part of the window frame is going to need to come in more than the B pillar end, thus causing a twist in the glass. However as I said you can deal with this easyier if you put the vent window back in. If you chose to run windows at all that is.

Got the side rain gutter pieces on today.

008-5.jpg

009-5.jpg

012-3.jpg

Recieved the tie rod from Speedway today sort of. They sent it to some guy in Montana and I got his drag link. So we swapped.

010-5.jpg

Yes, you can tilt the posts back/forward and it gives it a really agressive look. But you have to pie cut the door frames to get then to line up right. I thinks there's more work involved.

Worked on the truck today. Yesterday I went with a friend and his 2 sons to shoot sporting clays. I have shot clays for about 8 years. Boy, did I suck only hit 25 out of 100.

Well anyway, today I welded the strip in the roof. and removed all the bracing inside. Finished up some of the welding and slap so Bondo on to how it will look.

002-7.jpg

003-7.jpg

Threw the seat out of 50 Stude in to see if it will fit. It will needs a few modification but will work just fine. I'll need to go to "Old Town" and get some upholstery material (Mexican blankets). If any of you guys back East need some let me know and I can pick some up. They are about $10 a piece. I have sold quite a few on ebay called them Rat Rod Upholstery kits! :D

004-7.jpg

Started on the floor too. I want to get the floor in so I can get the seat, steering wheel/column and pedals in this week or next. Trying to get as much done as possible before Fathers Day. I'm taking it to a local show one way or another... I'll enter it in the "Construction Class". Everyone will probably think its still under construction even when I'm finished.

005-8.jpg

006-8.jpg

Had a busy day today. Went to the weekend flea market. Bought a 3 wheeled jogging cart to make into a shooting cart for sporting clays and some Mexican blankets for seat covers. I was going to cut weeds but the lawn tractor blew a blade arbor shucks. ;) So then I worked on the truck. Got the door frames cut and fitted. Still have tons of welding and grinding to do.

001-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

Then I continued on the floor until I ran out of wire.

003-8.jpg

005-9.jpg

Very nice metal work and sweet chop !! going to be a sweet ride

What a fantastic truck that turned out to be!!!! Wow, that's awesome!! Thanks for the inspiration DMW! Nice choice for the frame. I'm gonna follow your example with mine.

Thunder1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back