I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0623trk0016.jpg

Here's a longer view. One objective was to have the lettering visible from the spectator stands. Assuming I actually run this car at the drag strip.:rolleyes:
I made a few runs up the driveway today but have more carb work to do to get it to launch.:confused: Except for the tuning issues, the dragster is done.

Really really outstanding Bob. You started out to build this dragster a certain way and you hit your goal in spades. I've looked at your pictures a dozen times, just such a fun car all the way around. Take a bow!! :D:D

We want YouTube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Don

Hoooo Raaaa. That looks outstanding Bob W. The whole car is a really neat piece and I hope it brings you some racing enjoyment too.

And hey.....if that leaning tower of power starts to feel too slow, you can always do a head conversion like the one I posted in this thread. Check it out. It'll make you scratch your head if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9819&page=2

Wow!!!

Bob,
That turned out really awesome!!! Hopefully we'll see some video if u ever run it down the 1320!

BoB

That's a mighty fast six shooter you got there pardner. High Yo Silver, Away! Great job Kee-mo sah-bee.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. The support I recieved all during the build was very motivational.
I had 17 inches of vacuum at an idle and if I would wing the throttle, I could have half that the next time it returned to idle. Swapped the back carb for one with a much tighter fit on the throttle shaft. That cured the vacuum fluctuation problem. Next, I found that advancing the timing to 12 degrees made the engine run much crisper. A single blast up the driveway left some faint black strips! And that was at less than half throttle. So there is some potential there.
Further checking showed the timing chain is very loose allowing the timing to fluctuate about 10 degrees. I'll have to throw one in before going to the strip.
If it quits raining, my grandson Zach is going to make a video of the next blast up the driveway. Yipee!

2009_0628trk0005.jpg

Sorry, no video yet. I did manage a couple "passes" in the driveway.:D The gap in the tire tracks is where the engine hesitates for an instant. Pulls pretty good except for that. Actually, there are faint rubber tracks for about 40feet. A "built" engine will blow the tires off, I'm sure.:eek: Looks like it's time to hit the driveway weeds with Roundup!

2009_0623trk0016.jpg

Here's a longer view. One objective was to have the lettering visible from the spectator stands. Assuming I actually run this car at the drag strip.:rolleyes:
I made a few runs up the driveway today but have more carb work to do to get it to launch.:confused: Except for the tuning issues, the dragster is done.

Great job on dragster your built, I saw one about ten years ago (I think in Tulsa, OK.) It had a longer rails and had two seats in it. was a real eye catcher. Great job on yours!!

Bob,I am sure that you are going to get it all finely tuned. Then you can make some real serious marks.

Isnt the misses already asking where those came from in her driveway?

Wow... Just read this whole thread.... way cool build... But it got me to thinking (and that's bad)... I've been thinking about getting back into dragracing for awhile.... hmm...

2009_0720trk0002.jpg

Here I am in my head sock, helmet, neck collar, jacket, gloves and arm restraints. I was roasting alive in this stuff. Can't imagine waiting in the staging lanes in 90 degree weather. Oh, you can probably tell, the pants are back ordered.:eek:

I've found that a lighter colored helmet helps .. the black ones can really bake your brains. Other than that, keep yourself well hydrated and be prepared to sweat off about 5 pounds on a hot day. Them funky pajamas do get hot! I'll have to double check the rule book but I don't think you'll need a head sock for your car. If the heat gets to bad you can consider buying a "cool suit" system to keep you comfortable.

2009_0731trk0015.jpg

Kathy Weeks, who did the lettering on the dragster made this 16" by 20" poster for me. I will set it on a tripod near the car in the pits whenever I race. It will help the curious to understand what these things are all about. There will be 8 1/2" by 11" black & white copies of the poster to hand out to people that might be interested in building one. I'll have copies of the rules too.
Looks like Aug. 8 I'll be able to run Test and Tune. I'll have "pants" by then.:D

Nice job on the poster, Kathy does good work. :cool:
Car looks great, looking forward to hearing about your first
drag strip runs.... '22

2009_0808trk0001.jpg

Went to the drag strip Sat. It rained all the way there, to within a mile. Not a drop of rain at the track though.
The tech guy gave the car a 1 minute walk around and didn't question a thing. He checked the belt and helmet date codes and made sure I had arm restraints.
I made 5 passes starting out very cautiously. Wanted to be sure my home made chassis wouldn't veer into the guard rail or have uncontrollable bouncing of the front wheels. The car went straight and handled perfectly. Of course, I wasn't going very fast.
The last run was the best, 15.80 @ 88 mph. That's 4,000 rpm at the finish. I doubt the worn out $100 Craigslist slant 6 has many more rpm's in it.
Shifting was painfully slow probably adding .3 seconds to each run. It is lots of fun to be in an open cockpit with the engine right out in front snarling away.
This thing needs at least 100 more horses and a good 4 speed that is modified for fast shifting. Or, an automatic.:D
The people that came around to look at it were complimentary and supportive.
Now, all I have to do is make it fast. And find the cajones to drive it when it is fast.:eek:

Latest posts

Back