Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Doc said.
However, being a sucker for punishment, I'd build a custom tube manifold with equal length runners, keep the plenum small,.... if only for the "wow" factor. :cool:
But that's just me, I know that's a bunch more fab work....:rolleyes:

What Doc said.
However, being a sucker for punishment, I'd build a custom tube manifold with equal length runners, keep the plenum small,.... if only for the "wow" factor. :cool:
But that's just me, I know that's a bunch more fab work....:rolleyes:

zz, I've built two of them, one for the Ford 6 in the dragster and one on the slant 6 in my roadster. I will no doubt build an intake for this thing too. Just not right away.

Got Lucky

Carefully excised the down tube with a 4 1/2" cut off wheel and bolted the manifold in place. Figured I would put a bend in the removed pipe for practice. Used the borrowed (for 10 years now) JD2 manual bender. I was surprised the bend only shortened the overall length an inch (2.54 cm). I can reuse the removed pipe and will weld it in place tomorrow. BTW it clears with or without the 2" carb spacer.

Attachments

• bent 002.jpg
    bent 002.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 30
  • bent 003.jpg
    bent 003.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 29
  • bent 004.jpg
    bent 004.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 29
  • bent 001.jpg
    bent 001.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 29
A little dressing up on the tube ends and it was ready to tack back in place. Not too outlandish. Started making a cross shaft / bell crank for the throttle linkage so it lines up with the gas pedal. There's bushings inside the long hex nuts, which are drilled out.

Thank you to everyone that is following along on this build thread and making comments. Much appreciated.[cl

Attachments

• bend 001.jpg
    bend 001.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 30
  • bend 002.jpg
    bend 002.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 26
  • bend 003.jpg
    bend 003.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 29
The throttle linkage is done except for a little trimming and welding. I used the original linkage and some parts and pieces I had laying around. Trying to use up available items rather than buying more.
Randy, the guy that bought my Rover stopped by with the car. He has fixed all the little things I didn't get to and also made some nice improvements. He and his girlfriend really love the little beast. Says he can go 80 mph with the 88 inch wheelbase critter. It is important that everyone that buys from me is happy with the vehicle.
I was a beautiful, warm day so most of it was spent doing leaf management, a final mowing, dog washing and so on.

Attachments

• link 002.jpg
    link 002.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 28
  • link 003.jpg
    link 003.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 30
  • link 001.jpg
    link 001.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 34
I read this entire thread, Bob, and you really have done a nice job on this project. But I bet it is going to be faster than you thought !

Thank you Don and Dozer. I follow your builds closely. I am a Facebook friend with your son Don. That's how I found out you were okay during your long hiatus from UDS. Sure glad you are back building and posting.

Doc, that is just a "put something on there" carb. I do use vacuum secondary carbs a lot. They are good for people that can't tune a carb, like me. The engine takes what it needs. So if it is overcarbed it is okay.

Since it will have rear brakes only I adapted the bracket for the new a Willwood single master cylinder. A few minor mods were need on the pedal too.

Next is splitting the wishbone and fitting it with Heim joints. Then on to installing the front axle assembly to the frame.

Attachments

• brake 001.jpg
    brake 001.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 29
  • brake 002.jpg
    brake 002.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 27
  • brake 004.jpg
    brake 004.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 27
Looks like you're getting really good at cutting the bars off without digging into the bar it's connected to.

I have the skill of a surgeon with an angle grinder and cut off wheel. :D
I have some left over female Heim joints and not wanting to buy anything I decided to use them. Then I pie cut the wishbones and bent them out just wider than the frame.
The second pic shows the axle location pushed out beyond the existing front crossmember. About 8" longer wheelbase than before at 106". I can put in a new crossmsmber back 3-4" to shorten the wheelbase, probably creating better overall proportions. It's too much work, but I wish I could put the body on and check the proportions.

Here's a pic of the "before" wheelbase. How would it look with the front wheels 8" farther forward?
The nose piece would be about 4" forward.

Attachments

• bones 002.jpg
    bones 002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 25
  • bones 001.jpg
    bones 001.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0047_03[1].jpg
    DSC_0047_03[1].jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I think it will look great stretched a bit, and probably a little more stable with the longer wheelbase too.
Please excuse my crude photo putzing but maybe it will help visualizing for you?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0047_03[1] (2).jpg
    DSC_0047_03[1] (2).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back