hi guys and girls

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyratL110

Hi all, I came across this website while researching for my rat build. I am located in Iroquois, Ontario Canada.

I am quite partial to mopars, but love pretty much anything that looks cool and has wheels and a engine. I love home built rods, and can appreciate the effort put into someone else's vehicle, ragardless whether it's a style I like or not. The thing that brought me close to rat rods is the ability to express my style, without breaking the bank too much. As I like many, can't afford a $40,000 + car. I enjoy building my cars on the inexpensive side, while retaining safety. I enjoy the search for deals as well as bartering, so each side gets something to use in their build.

I'm 29, a family man and hotrodder by nature. I started with my tuners (dodge neons, being I'm a Mopar guy), but always wanted a hotrod.

While working for a landscaping business, I can across a person that had an ol truck cab in his back yard. This led to questions, and a deal for the truck I have now. The cab cab too rough, so I was shown another. Long story short, I picked the 1950 L110 cab, doors, chassis and parts for $150. The frame was too good to cut up, so I sold it for $200 to a guy restoring another international. Got my money back plus the extra 50 bucks paid for my bomber seat belts.

So far I after selling the chassis I am $892 into my build. I have done a lot of trading aswell with parts I had laying around. So far I have:

- 1950 international L110 cab w/doors
- data tag
- 50's aviation bomber sear belts
- running + driving 1996 dodge ram 2500 2wd with a v10, auto + Dana 70 rearend
- '34 ford fiberglass grille + late 30's or early 40's metal chevy truck grille (not sure which one to use)
- custom dropped tube front axle with spring behind
- 40's chevy headlights (9" diameter)
- 40's - 50's truck mirrors that attach to the door hinges
- blanket to cover the seat if I can fit a bench into the cab after mods
- metal shelving from an old cabinet to build a box and 1" tubing to make the box sides
- custom home built 2" x 4" z'ed frame (Kicked up 15" in the back)

I'll start a project log soon, but the build will probably be slow and stretched over a couple years. As work and family life take most of my time. I have been around and tinkering on cars since my early teens as my father is a mechanic (retired now). This will be my first hotrod build tho, so it will be a huge learning curve in my life.

I look forward to learning, chatting with people and becoming part of this forum. Thank you for accepting my request to join the group. Hope I haven't bored you with my story. Hahaha

Cheers,
Chris

Welcome from Southeast MI...

Sounds like you got a killer deal man....remember to start a build thread and post those pics for us readingly challenged... :D

Welcome to Triple R

Around here "a couple of years" is like a week any place else. [S
Build thread and pix for sure.
The V-10 would look killer in an ole truck [cl

Thanks for the warm welcome. Pics will come soon in the next few days with any luck.

Yes, I am going to use the v10 magnum engine. It has an auto transmission, which will most likely be used, but I'd like to get a hold of a 5-speed manual. If I can find one affordable.

As far as dealings, I have been lucky so far. $150 for the cab, which came with doors, the chassis (sold), and other minor parts. I do a lot of "wheelin and dealin" to help keep the cost of builds down. Such as selling the international frame for $200.

One day while scrolling through the adds on 'kijiji', I came across a 1996 dodge ram 2500 parts truck with a v10/auto/2wd Dana 70 combo. The guy had bought it off his boss for a few body parts and had no use for the drivetrain. I bought this for the asking price of $600. We strapped a battery in it, drove it onto the trailer and i was off. The truck had around 280,000 or so kms. The engine was relatively quiet and doesn't smoke. So, I doubt I'll end up pulling it apart. I do plan on doing a few mods to it such as intake, throttle body, cam and rockers, maybe cylinder head work, headers and a Mopar pcm if I can find one. These engines are rated at 310hp and 450 lb ft of torque. So, I'm thinking with just a few mods 400+hp and 500+lb ft should be attainable. Should be more then enough power to move around a 3000lb - 3500lb (I assume) truck.

The transmission I am thinking about beefing it up a bit to help with future thrashing.

The Dana 70 rear end will be plenty strong for my build. It's equipped with 3.54 gears. Which I'm thinking about pulling for 4:10's. The limited slip isn't working. One wheel peel, so dad and I will be pulling it apart to check out why? I have been thinking about putting a Detroit locker inside to help with traction.

Ad far as problems in ontario. I'm hoping to have no issues, as I've seen other rats out and about. Basically, as long as it's build safe and I drive responsibly I should be ok.

Latest posts

Back