Vintage speed? Edumicate me...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Crankenstein

Rocket Surgeon
Perusing the ads as always, I came across this...

attachment.php

attachment.php

... the ad is for a '65 Comet and claims the mill is a 327, as in... Chevy. (Hold yer cookies, Mac. ;)) What gets me is the front mounted ignition. Looks like a common Chevy short pump, spaced and extended to clear a funky drive of some sort. [S

Anybody familiar with this? Custom made or manufactured? bob w perhaps?

Oh, and here's the (typically strange) ad... in case anyone cares to see it. :D

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...te/1036999627?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Attachments

• kijiji odd.JPG
    kijiji odd.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 109
  • kijiji odd2.JPG
    kijiji odd2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
Somewhere, back in the spiderwebs of my mind, I seem to remember a Chevy front drive conversion like that, Kong maybe? :confused: Maybe Mallory? :confused: I can't remember now, it was back in the late 70's or early 80's. May have even been Pete Jackson. I seem to remember it was a gear drive conversion, with a front mounted distributor like that that ran off of the cam gear. Still used the rear drive for the oil pump, claimed to eliminate spark scatter due to the torsional loads on the camshaft or something like that. I think it was designed for racing, maybe even Pro stock. Be interesting to know, I bet there's not many of those left around.

I've got a Pete Jackson BBC version out in the garage for my 1957 Chevy.

it consists of a water pump spacer/ distributor mount / drive.

drill a small hole in front cover for hex drive shaft and no more cam twisting effecting the timing.

AND it's way easier to get at than buried in the firewall.

While looking at the first picture I thought, "Whoa, the good Dr. has seen the light, been converted, swung to the side of goodness; probably due to my considerable, personal magnetism."
Then I did a life altering mistake; I scrolled down. A Chevy cruelly disguised to fool the innocent.
I had not heard of this set-up before.

Once a Chevy man....Always a chevy man...

Interesting. I believe you can get a real Ford engine for less. :rolleyes:

I'd only seen one in use...and it too was a tunnel ram set up....any Chevy guy can appreciate a nice fast motor....but it's hard to get them to switch to something else....and a Ford motor is only cheap to buy one...not so much to make it fast....but that is JMHO.... :D

want

l want one,

if anyone asks what it is l will tell them it's the aussie holden motor division's version of a chevy motor, that oughta screw with there brain:D

Later :cool:

Can't tell them it's Aussie.......

l want one,

if anyone asks what it is l will tell them it's the aussie holden motor division's version of a chevy motor, that oughta screw with there brain:D

Later :cool:

....wait for it..........IT'S NOT DOWN UNDER....!! :D

the only one I ever saw installed and running was at BIR in an ex-prostock T-Bird, with a 666 cid all aluminum BBC, running in Super Comp. had fabricated aluminum valve covers with Blue Ford ovals from the truck grill mounted on them, and most of the unknowing Ford Fan boys were standing around it telling all their buddies, "how bad a$$ is that Ford engine kicking butt on them dragsters".

Latest posts

Back