Idiot Tax

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Crankenstein

Rocket Surgeon
Effective January 2020, penalties double in the province of SK. I'm happy to see the gov't stepping up on the issue, but wonder if it's enough, because plenty of idiots have money to burn!

attachment.php

Attachments

• fp 180.jpg
    fp 180.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 69
I'm not sure about how the Saskatchewan law is written, but here in Alberta holding your phone or even wearing headphones that are plugged into it are considered distracted. You're not even allowed to glance at a phone screen while driving.

Here in Washington State we can even take a drink of a beverage while driving.

They have to do something, people just aren't getting it. I was in Saskatoon last weekend and the RCMP had plain cloths officers on the sidewalk radioing to cars ahead giving them the tag numbers of people on the phone.

We have the laws in Rhode Island and Connecticut and they are going into affect in Massachusets soon I believe. It hasn't stopped anyone from being on the phone. The law has to be enforced in order for it to work.

Talked to a Minnesota State Trooper a couple years ago. He said they spend almost all their time at accident scenes and have little time left for law enforcement.

During busy times they don't seem to tag offenders because of the tremendous freeway backups it causes.

We have the laws in Rhode Island and Connecticut and they are going into affect in Massachusets soon I believe. It hasn't stopped anyone from being on the phone. The law has to be enforced in order for it to work.

THIS /\

Alabama just enacted a new left lane law this year that is supposed to keep people from staying in the left lane over 1.5 miles unless they are passing something. I have yet to see it enforced. Yesterday and the day before, traffic was in both lanes, like a pack of dogs running 80+ mph, all the way from the TN border to Birmingham, over 100 miles. I saw several State Troopers sitting in the median and on the ramps and shoulders doing nothing but being seen.

All these are is "Feel good" laws, they feel good they passed them, but they will never be enforced to any degree, it's pretty much impossible. They make the public think they are doing something. There will be a few unfortunate people that get nabbed, but I doubt it will change behavior much.

Fines aren't going to stop the people that insist on doing this.
If they want to endanger themselves ya can't stop that but, to endanger others is another matter.
I'm no saint and have had close calls so, I've took an approach of waiting for a moment where I'm sitting still or giving it to someone riding with me.

I'm not sure about how the Saskatchewan law is written, but here in Alberta holding your phone or even wearing headphones that are plugged into it are considered distracted. You're not even allowed to glance at a phone screen while driving.

Same thing here. I'm not a phone addict, but I always have it with me and I keep it out of sight while driving. (I have yet to receive a phone call or text that can't wait a few minutes.)

I was in Saskatoon last weekend and the RCMP had plain cloths officers on the sidewalk radioing to cars ahead giving them the tag numbers of people on the phone.

I've seen similar efforts here. For example, there's an interchange on the east side where it's common to see beggars and window wipers... more often than not, they've been replaced by cops in disguise. :rolleyes:

I agree with the comments. Penalties are more than enough to deter the abiding citizen and those who care to reduce the epidemic... they do nothing for the habitual offender.

Typical reactive behavior: Increase penalties in effort to offset the rising costs incurred by the epidemic. If the penalty monies were spent on enforcement, that would be nice... but they go into the coffers, supposedly buffering insurance costs for the rest of us... again, reactive and no solution to the problem.

I can't imagine any real, effective enforcement without serious, dedicated resources.

Smart phones are incredibly capable... so, you'd think it more than possible to make them "safe" in a driving environment. I mean, really, they make vehicles with touch screens, 360° cameras, "trailer assist", butt warmers and plenty of "feel good" BS features nobody really needs, while the driver is nosed into a bloody phone.

Smart phones are incredibly capable... so, you'd think it more than possible to make them "safe" in a driving environment. I mean, really, they make vehicles with touch screens, 360° cameras, "trailer assist", butt warmers and plenty of "feel good" BS features nobody really needs, while the driver is nosed into a bloody phone.

There are programs that do exactly that,if the vehicle is moving the phone is
unusable.

Us truckers have to use a hands free device in the truck---headset, speaker phone,etc. These newfangled electronic logs they make us run now you can't do anything on them if the truck is moving. When moving,it goes to a screen that gives you a total hours report, but that's it.

I'm with ya on the touchscreens, too. Look inside a Tesla lately? A huge 17" sitting in the middle of the dash! That thing would blind me at night! A touchscreen is a poor choice for radio and climate controls, it takes forever to go through menus to find what you want to change! Talk about distracting! Give me a knob or two and a few pushbuttons!

With my last two daily drivers the controls were easy to operate without looking at them. Now, with smooth buttons and touch screens, even my 11 year old pickup I have to take my eyes off the road to mess with the radio or heat. It looks sleeker, but it's more distracting.

There are programs that do exactly that, if the vehicle is moving the phone is
unusable.

Perfect... we just need the offending phone addicts to have the program, whether they like it or not!

I sympathize with truckers, Bama... though I've never been one myself, I know a few and through their accounts, I understand your frustration. :mad:

It looks sleeker, but it's more distracting.

User friendly! :p :mad:

All windows open, music blaring, 90 mph, little bit of rumble....phone? what phone...

I can hear you from here. Not so long ago :rolleyes: I drove a 4-speed Impala with a hoagie sammich in one hand, a cigarette in the other, beer between my legs and Van Halen cranked at full volume.

That was a different time, when cell phones didn't exist and the local constabulary understood, within reason. I don't recommend or endorse my behavior, but I've always kept my eyes on the road, like my father taught me.

Thank You for your comments, guys. I hoped this would be a civil discussion and you haven't disappointed. :D

I can hear you from here. Not so long ago :rolleyes: I drove a 4-speed Impala with a hoagie sammich in one hand, a cigarette in the other, beer between my legs and Van Halen cranked at full volume.

Still not as distracting as a phone. Touch screens aren't any better. Men especially since we tend to tunnel vision more than women. If I look at my phone, the whole world disappears.

Sam Fear, you touched on the real, hidden problem. Phones take your fingers or thumbs away from driving. That's a bit of a problem. BUT nobody worries about taking your brain, [concentration] away from your driving. AND that is a BIG problem.

Latest posts

Back