hey bama

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be there bright and early if nothing happens! Jasper AL Cruise in on the courthouse square y'all! Look for the ugly Lincoln! :D

Not going to make it this year.:mad: Gas tank has sprung a major leak. :mad: I guess I bragged on the RedKote too much :rolleyes:

I had noticed a bit of gas smell yesterday after I had filled up, so I put a piece of cardboard under the rear. Smelled strong tonight, so I investigated. Cardboard is soaked, saw gas dripping, not sure exactly where, but it's above the pickup line and fuel pump. I pulled the car out in they yard, too dangerous to keep it under the carport with it leaking like it is, and for sure too dangerous to drive. Now I have got to pump out 20 gallons of premium before I can drop the tank. :eek: Guess that end my show season for the year. :mad:

Whoa, wait a minute grasshopper.:D You filled the tank yesterday, there was no smell before then? So you got the fuel level in the tank higher than it was before? Did you check the sending unit, which sits in a slight well? No? Go do it and report back....

Pulled the inspection plate, lo and behold, there is my leak! [cl Apparently the Speedway cork gasket has cracked, with the fuel level below it, no leak, fill to top of tank, it leaks. Pumped about 3.5 or 4.5 gallons out, no more leak. [cl Will have to run it about 3/4 full or less until I can get a new gasket installed.

So, I'm going to Jasper in the morning! Time I get there, I should have burned out a couple of more gallons.

Good news, but I guess even Chinese cork is inferior:D

I guess so! Drove there and back, no leaks whatsoever, so my suspicions were confirmed. Going to have to pull the sending unit and put on a new gasket. Till then, I'll just keep it below 7/8 tank.

sorry i didn't get back to the thread. i looked for yall but missed part of the show. my knee was acting up on me so i had to cut it short. was a big show, i got two pics and my phone died. does help to charge the every once in awhile. glad you figured out your gas leak.

I looked for ya, but there were so many people it was impossible. I was on the west side of the courthouse, parallel parked. 517 registered cars, not counting the club members and those that didn't even register. I have never seen them park so far behind the courthouse. I didn't get to see all of them, either. I made a round in front of the CH and later a round behind and to the side, but they were just too spaced out for me. Jimmy was beaming, we have plenty of room, yeah, right. Takes the fun out of it when you have to walk so many blocks, a lot of it up hill. I wish they would move it somewhere else. I heard talk yesterday that they might go to the new high school when it's finished, but you won't know that until next year.

I took a few pics, haven't felt like uploading them to pbucket yet. Will try to get them up soon.

Bama, When I bought my tank and sending unit from "TANKS" it came with neoprene gaskets. Said to put Indian Head gasket cement on both sides of the gasket and let it dry before installation, guess that would for cork gaskets also.

I looked for ya, but there were so many people it was impossible. I was on the west side of the courthouse, parallel parked. 517 registered cars, not counting the club members and those that didn't even register. I have never seen them park so far behind the courthouse. I didn't get to see all of them, either. I made a round in front of the CH and later a round behind and to the side, but they were just too spaced out for me. Jimmy was beaming, we have plenty of room, yeah, right. Takes the fun out of it when you have to walk so many blocks, a lot of it up hill. I wish they would move it somewhere else. I heard talk yesterday that they might go to the new high school when it's finished, but you won't know that until next year.

I took a few pics, haven't felt like uploading them to pbucket yet. Will try to get them up soon.

i just knew you was up in there, as that is one of the places i didn't make it to. the new high school would be cool. i was gonna try to take my old truck, but since dad passed i have had a real hard time staying busy.

There's a good small show at Eldridge on Nov 7 at the old school. You ought to drive the truck over there. Be good for ya to get out a bit. :cool:

i might would have chanced it to the jasper show as it is just a couple miles. the 350 buick in it is sucking a exhaust valve so i parked it awhile back. i think i'm gonna get out there and put that 454 th400 in it and go from there. it will cost me more to get liability insurance on it then the full coverage that i have on both of my daily drivers. truck never had seat belts. that was progressive, but i changed to state farm and haven't checked with them on it yet.

Latest posts

Back