Guess I got the bug....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For this '87 differential I believe a 3.42 and a 3.21 are offered. I think me and the truck would be happier with the 3.21. I may throw a gooseneck ball in the bed as well as a bumper receiver when I attempt the flat bed...never know what this beast will be doing over the years.

I think the grille will look ok once I make all the brackets to bolt it to the frame rails. I'll need some brackets off the top corners to mount new headlights. The grille will be cut down a bit from the bottom to give a little more ground clearance.

1947%20Rat%20Rod%20001%202_zpshr6ocxwo.jpg

Tract%204%20W%20Trimble%20Rd%20012_zpsbicjtkok.jpg

Unsure if I'm digging the grille...it's just tacked on just in case I can't stomach the look. The new headlights will get tested this evening.

Tract%204%20W%20Trimble%20Rd%20002_zpsfljemdjt.jpg

Kinda reminds me of a 47 Desoto. Could you follow the original lower curve but raise it a up a bit. [S
Joe did some cool front end work on Hanna, similar vintage truck.

I kinda' like the grille. Reminds me of a skull graphic that is popular these days. Except the teeth are wider.

images

Cut the bed off this truck and figured out why it rode so rough...it has no rear suspension. I guess whoever started this project was so enthusiastic about bobbing the truck they threw common sense under the bus.

The only thing holding it up in the rear are the air bags. The leaf springs are only there to locate the housing...might as well just welded everything solid. What a shame to ruin a perfectly good chassis...even the shocks are just along for the ride lol.

About the only cure I can come up with so far is to remove the air bags and install some coilover shocks to get some semblance of a decent ride out of it now. No experience with coilovers...any guesses as to what spring rate would be in the ball park? I don't have a weight on the truck, but I figure it can't be more than 3200 pounds. With a 1200 pound engine up front it won't be a lot of weight on the rear...I can lock up the rears easily on any surface.

47%20suspension%20002_zpsdxvytkny.jpg

47%20suspension%20003_zpsdaf5jxqw.jpg

47%20suspension%20001_zpssdjohecl.jpg

Possibly something in this range? https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sear...GA_Nav_Part:Coilovers*L_Mounted_Length:232620

Talked myself out of the coilover solution. Going to lengthen the frame and use some big block first generation Camaro Landrum monoleaf springs I have stashed away instead...seems like a more sensible approach and probably cheaper to boot in the end.

I'm trying to figure out why the airbags made it ride so rough? The leaf spring like you said is not holding anything up so it should have been riding on air. I built almost all my cars with air and they ride awesome. Sounds to me like they have way too much air in them. I'm still trying to figure it out. Maybe you can help me understand it

I will say whoever put those bag brackets on the frame need to have their thumbs cut off. I'm not sure where people get the ideas that they come up with sometimes. I hate to sound like an a hole, but wow

I'm trying to figure out why the airbags made it ride so rough? The leaf spring like you said is not holding anything up so it should have been riding on air. I built almost all my cars with air and they ride awesome. Sounds to me like they have way too much air in them. I'm still trying to figure it out. Maybe you can help me understand it

An air bag is not the same thing as an air ride system. A traditional air bag is used between the leaf spring and the frame...not the way these are concocted. All those bags are doing is increasing the load carrying capacity used properly. As it stands now they are being used to support the truck. I might add that at the installed height the bags have the shocks topped out completely with no air in them. The shocks may as well be welded rods as it sits.

I will say whoever put those bag brackets on the frame need to have their thumbs cut off. I'm not sure where people get the ideas that they come up with sometimes. I hate to sound like an a hole, but wow

I'll have to agree with you on that. There are other issues I will point out later that I have discovered since removing the bed. Seems to me whoever chopped off the frame that short had no clue that it was the end of the truck (pun intended). Until I get the suspension back into service it is nothing more than a huge go cart lol.

Last edited:
If the bags hold the truck up it's riding on air, that makes those bags and air spring. I would say the rear that truck is air ride. Those bags will move up and down just like a normal bag in an air ride system. If they are installed improperly and stuff does not move that is why the truck rides like crap. Those leaf springs like you said are not doing anything other than locating the axle. That truck should ride really nice with those bags in the back of it. They are bigger bags so it will not take much air pressure to pick it up. Before you take it all apart I would take the shocks off of it and see if you can get the truck to air up properly and try and drive it. Coilovers are going to ride really rough in my opinion I am not a fan of them on light rear-end cars like these

The most I can tell you right now about it is if you hit a dip in the road at any speed the rear tires will come completely off the ground...regardless of air pressure. I think the traditional leaf/shock design back on the truck will solve all the headaches.

The most I can tell you right now about it is if you hit a dip in the road at any speed the rear tires will come completely off the ground...regardless of air pressure. I think the traditional leaf/shock design back on the truck will solve all the headaches.

Not to sound dumb but when you are the back bags up does the truck go up

Not to sound dumb but when you are the back bags up does the truck go up

Yes, the rear will rise slightly when airing up the bags. Taking the shocks loose isnt a bad idea really, but it isnt a permanent solution. I'm sure when it tries to rebound it's hitting the shocks like a hammer since they are already at or near full extension. Poor design by the installer without a doubt.

Latest posts

Back