Patina Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh, I'd never thought about that. I figured Toyota used a lever on the transfer case like Jeep did. Learn something new every day! [cl

Ok, got the headliner glued to the top and then got the top back on. Still have a handful of loose ends we're working on. But all in all it's pretty much done. Going to drive it around locally for a few week then it'll be off to Cruise Moab in May to get some exposure for sale in the Summer.

www.cruisemoab.com

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a few picture taken outside. Overcast, so the light's not too good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
Went to inspect one of the loose ends today, the E-Brake did not hold. It's the brake drum type mounted to the transfer case that holds the drive line. Anyway, removed the rear drive shaft and pulled the brake drum,
What's wrong with this picture?

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 19
Cruise Moab

So, we're 30 days out from a big Toyota 4 wheel Drive event over in Moab Utah called Cruise Moab. I go about every other year. I decide this year to take the Patina Cruiser back for a second trip. Last time was blast and many people really got a kick out of seeing a bone stock 50 plus year old rig do as well as it did. However, as this is a rig I built to ultimately sell, I wanted to go through the engine because it has very low oil pressure, it leaks pretty bad and puffs oil through the valve guides. (Although it runs like a Swiss watch)
Then, while we're at it, the 3 speed trans leaks pretty bad too and it needs an input bearing and a set of synchros. Next, since I had to separate the tranny from the transfer case I might as well go back together with an Orion 4:1 case and gear set. Then I got to thinking, now that I'll be geared low enough to climb nearly anything, I'd better throw a lunch box locker in the rear end. Last, with all this, it'd be a shame not to replace the clapped out stock suspension so, I ordered a complete suspension kit from Old Man Emu.
This past week after work and this weekend I pulled the Engine out and apart for inspection. I'll post what I found / find this coming week.

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like me. 30 days till the event you're waiting on. Then pull the machine apart to do 60 days worth of work....ya might better hurry...[ddd:D

Hey pulling for ya ORR...hope you make it........
don't forget the camera, take lots of pictures to
share with those of us who probably will never
get to experience....

Hey pulling for ya ORR...hope you make it........
don't forget the camera, take lots of pictures to
share with those of us who probably will never
get to experience....

Thanks FBP I will for sure!
Today I went through and inspected all the critical dimensions. The valve guides are within specs so I'm going to replace the little rubber deflector seals with a good set of positive lock type seals The valves and seats are in great shape so I'll just clean those up and lap them in. I took the oil pump apart and all the clearances are like new. Good thing too because these old pumps are no longer available. The crank is strange. The rod bearings didn't look all that bad but the rod journals are beyond the limit and the main journals are well within specs but the main bearings are really bad. I'm guessing someone replace rod bearings at some point? The cylinder bores are in very good condition. Both the bore and the taper on the worst one was less than half way to the limit. The cam bearings are pretty bad and the cam has one bad lobe on #6. So for the bottom end I'm going to run a dingle ball through the cylinders, have the block cleaned, and get the crank ground 10/10. Then I'll install some new cam bearings and try to find a good deal on a cam and lifter set. The best I've found so far is 650 ouch! Then reassemble with standard rings.
I also got the trans bearings and synchros installed today so, check that off the list. Going through the tranny was fun. I haven't taken an old 3 speed apart for at least 25 years.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3929.jpg
    IMG_3929.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3923.jpg
    IMG_3923.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 111
Today I got the Lock-Right installed in the rear diff. And also the Old Man Emu Rear springs, shackles and shocks. Tomorrow I hope to get the front suspension installed and refresh the cylinder head with new valve guide seals.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpg
    IMG_3928.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3936.jpg
    IMG_3936.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 61
Bad news; I had to cancel going to Cruise Moab. I was on schedule to finish the engine in the Patina Cruiser but something came up at work and for about the 5th time in 35 years of self employment I just couln't break away.
Anyway, I went on the Rising Sun Toyota forum and copied a handful of pictures that were posted there from the event.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg