The village idiot?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jammero

I know I risk getting the rep as the village idiot for this but I'm new to this and would like to ask a couple of questions.
Chopping is lowering the roof if I'm correct and if I'm wrong please let me know. Also could someone tell me what channeling and 'Z'-ing the frame is?
Thank's in advance.

You won't get blasted here for asking questions.

Yes, chopping is lowering the roof.
Channeling is lowering the body over the frame by raising the floor.
Z-ing a frame is a way to lower the body by kicking up the front or rear of the frame raising the suspension points. I don't have a picture but someone will.

Welcome aboard.....

Around here, The only "Bumb Question" is the one you didn't ask.......

There is just too much knowledge around here to go unused. Always ask..

My fav!

Jamerro,
Here my fav picture of a radiacally z'd frame! This is done vs channeling to retain space in the cabin for leg & head room!

BoB

Attachments

• 2kool.jpg
    2kool.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 90
Wow, I like that one too. Another term that has not been brought up, is "sectioning".
taking the "chop" out of the body section, to lower the whole body.

Welcome to the forum. No apologies needed, you are doing it right, asking questions. That's how we all learned.

Here is a picture showing two side rails that have been Z-d. See the drop that makes it not a straight section? That is what we called a Z-d frame. It can be Z'd in either back or front or both, depending on how you want it to sit.

Don

1stframepix001.jpg

tframedone010.jpg

You might get flamed on other forums for asking questions like that, but not here. Lot's of very knowledgable people on here (like Don) that will set you straight. Like I have mentioned to other new members, I have gotten a lot of ideas and info here. Ask away, because others will benifit as well.

Thank's for the welcome and the answers guys. Done with pictures, that's what works for me. Thank's Don.
Even tho I have a long way to go before I can describe myself as knowledgable in rat rods, the few days I lurked thru the archives before I registered and the questions I have asked since have taught me more than I would have imagined.
I'm glad you brought up "Sectioning" Bonehead, that's one I forgot to ask about.
I can see why you're sweet on that picture BoB, that is one impressive rat rod.
Now be warned......Now that you have answered the first question, there will be a million more to follow. lol

Latest posts

Back