1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is looking great. I have a 37 model 1094 touring coupe myself,so Im looking for ideas.Im really looking forward to see what the ft of your car is going to look like.I need a hood and I cant find one for a decent price,so Im looking for ft end ideas.

Looking at the pic of your Packard, I can see it's a 38 or newer, the split front window is the first tip off, firewall and body lines are different too. Not that it isn't kool though, it'll still make a nice rod. A 37 hood definitely won't fit though. I thought I found a hood for mine but it didn't pan out - that's OK though 'cause now I've decided to stretch the front end 5" and will be making my own hood.

I don't think you'll be happy with square corners on the deck lid. But I could be wrong.
Its taking great shape.

Not that my opinion matters much but I like the lines of the rig that Dr C posted........ I think that it looks good I like the frenched lights in the back as well. But then again I have never seen any of your work that I would not be proud to own!

That is looking awesome ZZ! I really like your idea for the back of the body/trunk lid. I have an idea of how it will look, but I'm interested to see what you actually do!

The pace and quality of your work is embarassing to the rest of us, can you slow down a bit? :D

That rear treatment is going to be very interesting to watch being built[dr.
So, now that you have started this how the hell you gona walk away from it for the winter?:rolleyes:

I don't think you'll be happy with square corners on the deck lid. But I could be wrong.
Its taking great shape.
Hmmm, well, once I get the opening framed in and have a better look, corners may get rounded - nothing is cast in stone....

Not that my opinion matters much but I like the lines of the rig that Dr C posted........ I think that it looks good I like the frenched lights in the back as well. But then again I have never seen any of your work that I would not be proud to own!

I guess we all see things differently - the frenched lights and plate just don't look good to me, sort of too modern - I like to keep the sheet metal clean and prefer the lights etc. to stand out and and/or have some trim around them.

The pace and quality of your work is embarassing to the rest of us, can you slow down a bit? :D

OK, I'll take the weekend off...

That rear treatment is going to be very interesting to watch being built[dr.
So, now that you have started this how the hell you gona walk away from it for the winter?:rolleyes:

Two words - Beer Assistant :cool:

Hey ZZ,I was just looking at a 35 Nash on you-tube [ 35 Nash Aeroform] is that kind of what the back of your car is going to look like??

Being a 4dr. body, there was no proper door jamb to mate up to the rear of the door so I had to create one. Took one of the original center posts, split it in half to make one for each side and cut 5 1/2" out of the height to match the new roof height. Then I welded a strip of 1/8" x 3/4" to the edge to create a step for weatherstripping to seat on and tacked in the pass side piece - in the last pic, the drivers side piece is just propped in place.

Attachments

• DSC01751.jpg
    DSC01751.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC01752.jpg
    DSC01752.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC01749.jpg
    DSC01749.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 181
Hey ZZ,I was just looking at a 35 Nash on you-tube [ 35 Nash Aeroform] is that kind of what the back of your car is going to look like??

That Nash is a pretty cool car! I think mine will not sweep out as much at the bottom, the trunk lid will be flatter - soon as I get the door frames done, I'm going to start on it.

Being a 4dr. body, there was no proper door jamb to mate up to the rear of the door so I had to create one. Took one of the original center posts, split it in half to make one for each side and cut 5 1/2" out of the height to match the new roof height. Then I welded a strip of 1/8" x 3/4" to the edge to create a step for weatherstripping to seat on and tacked in the pass side piece - in the last pic, the drivers side piece is just propped in place.

You sure make that seem effortless!

Finished tacking in the drivers side door jamb, also tacked in a 1x1" tube to the top of each rocker and put in a couple crossmembers to tie the whole floor structure together better. Eliminating the original wood subrails lowers the floor 1 1/2", gaining back a bit of the headroom lost to the chop and section.
Made the trunk opening frame from 1x1" tube with the topside and half of the inside edge cut out to make a channel to seat the weatherstripping. The skin will be tacked onto the outside edge and the lid will be slightly curved to match the body curve below the window and the curve of the bottom edge tube - this is pretty close to the final position of the opening.

Attachments

• DSC01756.jpg
    DSC01756.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC01755.jpg
    DSC01755.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC01754.jpg
    DSC01754.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC01753.jpg
    DSC01753.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 196
Some of you guys blow my mind

You make stuff look so easy....ZZ, GJM....Cornfield, so much talent here, just blows my mind....[cl

Before I paint myself in a corner by skinning the rear and cutting off access, I cut some more out of the trunk floor and welded in a 1x2" crossmember - the whole original floor will get cut out once I get farther along with the rest of the body structure.
Started with the easy stuff, tacked in the filler piece below the window then made the bottom middle piece - spent some time with the sandbag and mallet, planishing hammer and shrinker to get a nice bubble on it.

Attachments

• DSC01761.jpg
    DSC01761.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC01760.jpg
    DSC01760.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01759.jpg
    DSC01759.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01758.jpg
    DSC01758.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 154
WOW! great work.[cl Don't understand how you could leave this project at this point, I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it. Don't they have beer where you live now?:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back