Tudor vs Fordor Model A's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ren92

Hey guys I am looking at building a Model A rod and looking to do a 28-31. I really like the tudor but I have a little boy that I need to have room for.All of the cars I see looks like you have no room in the rear for him with a tudor but I have yet to see the inside of a fordor that has the rear z-ed. I am wanting to do a 6" chop and a 4" or so channel. Is there enough room in these cars to do that and have a place for my boy? I know this is a stupid question but hate to buy a fordor and it not give me that much more room.

If you Z the fame, whether its a tudor or a fordor, theres no room in the back. It pretty much eliminates the rear seat. Now im probably completely wrong about this, but all of the ones ive seen have no rear seat.

Don't forget, you'll need somewhere to mount a fuel tank. With extreme channel jobs and "Z'ed" frames, the tank is usually where the rear seat would be. I saw one where a large barrel (fuel) was mounted to the back of the rod. Looked very unsafe. Fendered cars usually run saddle tanks but there is no channeling. I suppose you could use a Moon tank mounted on front, but range would suffer.

The wheelbase is the same and I believe the interior space it also the same. I have owned both 2 and 4 door Model A's. I have a '31 A tudoor that is channeled and the frame is not Z'd. Also, it is not chopped. There is room for a rear seat. It could be chopped 2 or 3 inches and still retain a back seat. If you are not afraid of the cowl gas tank that 2 or 3 million Model A's came with, then that problem is solved.

That's what I was thinking bob. I think the frame kick could be disguised as a seat and a place to strap a kid seat down on top of that. Better yet turn him around behind the passenger seat, that's safer anyway.
But if you build like I do and choose a 4 door, he will be in college before you get it done anyway.lol

LOL now you got me on that one when it comes to build time. I have a mustang that I have built I think 3 different times and it hasn't seen the road yet. I was thinking they looked to be the same size and now that I think about it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone selling a model a frame and saying for tudor or fordor.Is there a down fall with using the tank up front really?

LOL now you got me on that one when it comes to build time. I have a mustang that I have built I think 3 different times and it hasn't seen the road yet. I was thinking they looked to be the same size and now that I think about it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone selling a model a frame and saying for tudor or fordor.Is there a down fall with using the tank up front really?

Yes, the frame dimensions are the same on all Model A passenger cars and light trucks, as well as the interior dimensions on both 2 and 4 door sedans.

The biggest P.I.T.A. about using the original cowl tank is having to shut the gas off every time you park it. The tank mounts above the carburetor - so if you forget it will gravity feed, forcing past the needle and seat and overflowing fuel everywhere. Not that big a deal to remember really, (especialy if you ride a motorcycle and are used to it) but it is something to be taken into consideration. Then there's the fact that the fuel tank is basically sitting in your lap...

Well going to go for it and get a fordor a see how it goes.If it doesn't look like it is going to do what I want I my try to strech the rear a little bit. I now have to figure out a shipping company to get the car.

Latest posts

Back