Will paint stick?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex1927

I saw the thread on the PVC panels but it did not answer my question.
I need to know if anyone has ever used the 4X8 sheets of plastic from Home Depot on interior and painted the smooth backside?
And if so,what primer did you use,epoxy,etc,?
The topcoat will be acrylic enamel auto paint.
I need a smooth surface to paint and the plastic panels would sure be cheaper than making fiberglass ones myself.
I cannot work sheet metal so that is not an option for me.:(
Thanks

Last edited:
I think what I used was PVC sheet - basically the cheapest stuff they had. (Might have been fiberglass based?) I painted on some of it. Seemed to stick OK, but my concern would be the vibration of it over time. I don't think automotive paint is very flexible. Later I'll check and see if I still have a couple chunks with paint on it out in the shop - see if it's still sticking.

In the distant past, I've used "adhesion promoter" for plastics. Here's one for example...

http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-adhesion-promoters/xxx-adhesion-promoter

... also in the distant past, I've added flex agent to primer, paint and clear, recommended by my paint supplier (local DuPont rep) back then.

Flex agent may be extinct and/or redundant with the "evolution" of materials. (Your enamel supplier should know and which primer to use with it.)

Another product from the stone age... GON wax and grease remover by XIM... used to be a half the price of DuPont, R-M or PPG products, equally effective if not (arguably) superior.

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/xim/specialty-products/gon-prep-cleaner

Adhesion promoters for plastics are still very much in use. Check with a reputable paint supplier ( a place that supplies body shops ). Tell them what type of plastic (poly, vinyl, acrylic, etc. ). They also have plastic "prep" compounds that clean and lightly abrade for better adhesion. Flex additives are also still very much in use. Follow mixing instructions to the letter on flex additives as too much can have very adverse effect on finished product ( i.e not setting up, remaining tacky or blushing ).[;)

Along with what the other guys said,I like using a red scuff pad and ajax. Wet the scuff pad and fold it in half and put ajax in it. [ make a ajax sandwich] Scub it real good.

krylon

Krylon has a spray paint specifically for plastic.

Are you familiar with coroplast. It is a corrugated material that mimics the paper box material. Colors too.

Not sure on your application. What I just read does not tell me.

Plywood? fiberboard? ( Masonite) not cement board.

alan

Hometown: Greenville, SC

"cannot work sheet metal" can you do a model in cardboard and take it to a sheet metal shop?

Last edited:
Kinda forgot.... just went and look at what I have in the garage. It's a fiberglass kinda stuff and rattle can paint Plastikote or whatever. I've bent the stuff pretty hard several times moving it around - been on there a year and no flaking. But, probably totally different than what your wanting to do.

Any buildings that were not placed there by aliens?

Gutters and leaders, roofs, flashings are sheet metal and most construction involves these items. Any roads leading out of town?

alan

Find a new construction site and love bomb the guy installing gutter or using flashing where a wall intersects a roof.
Visit Home Depot and find the oldest male employee ( he has a scooter ) and ask him.

HVAC (heating,ventilation, air cond.) contractors use and fab sheet metal components.

Last edited:
paint reply

You can use etching primer . It will stick to it giving the paint something to stick to . Dupli.color makes one for cars .

Latest posts

Back