Another amazing auction as well.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

Check out this one.
Mr Street was the owner/builder of the Golden Sahara I/II as well as the last owner of the original Norm Grabowski T know to the public as the "Kookie T" from the TV show 77 Sunset strip.
Lots of cool stuff and more then a few rare boats.
The Golden Sahara was way ahead of it's time in the use of tech. Things like voice activated doors. Sensors that would engage the brakes if it got to close to another object and so on...
This truly one of a kind car had not been seen by the public since 1966.
There are a couple ogf great in-depth articles over on the Custom Car Chronicle site.
Check them out....
Torchie
https://www.mecum.com/auctions/indianapolis-2018/collections/jim-street-estate-collection/

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/

Last edited:
He did not build the Sahara, but he did commission it. He was an electrical whiz and helped engineer a lot of the gizmos that went into it as well. He lived here in Dayton Ohio his whole life, and amassed a pretty amazing collection that was kept mostly under wraps except to a few very select people. Interesting story to say the least...

Last edited:
He did not build the Sahara, but he did commission it. He was an electrical whiz and helped engineer a lot of the gizmos that went into it as well. He lived here in Dayton Ohio his whole life, and amassed a pretty amazing collection that was kept mostly under wraps except to a few very select people. Interesting story to say the least...

You are correct in that he didn't "build " either car himself BED. First version was done out in Cali by the Barris shop. The II was done in Dayton because Mr Street wanted better control of how things where done. It is still amazing...
Torchie

The Sahara looks a little worse for wear and the Kookie T needs a savior, too!

I'm attracted to "Miss Cincinnati"... got room in your shop, Torchie? ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Miss Cincinnati.jpg
    Miss Cincinnati.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 56
The Sahara looks a little worse for wear and the Kookie T needs a savior, too!

I'm attracted to "Miss Cincinnati"... got room in your shop, Torchie? ;)

attachment.php

Wouldn't that be nice Dr.[cl
I have been around some rare boats but his "Maltese Falcon" as well as the Miss Cincinnati and the Belle Isle Bear Cat rank right up there. The engine in the Maltese Falcon is a 12 Cylinder Kermath I believe which in and of it's self is about as rare as you can get.
Mr Street also owned a CC Cobra which I believe is also included in the auction.

Of the two cars. The GS is in actually pretty good shape. He had it well protected.
One of the reasons that he stopped showing it is easily seen in the photos. The innovative Pearl Paint that was developed for it started to turn color into what you see now.
The Kookie T has not faired as well. But that is mainly the interior.
I would fine room in my shop for any of the above. :D :D :cool: :cool:
I include a pic of a CC Cobra for your viewing pleasure.:cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 7e856b19cf06e937b04efdfa50c61769.jpg
    7e856b19cf06e937b04efdfa50c61769.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 13
I looked past the cars (they're all over the internet) and homed in on the boats... great stuff and the Cobra is gorgeous!

Question, Torchie: What does this craftwork consist of? Aluminum? Sure looks like formed metal...

attachment.php

Attachments

• CC Cobra.jpg
    CC Cobra.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 49
I looked past the cars (they're all over the internet) and homed in on the boats... great stuff and the Cobra is gorgeous!

Question, Torchie: What does this craftwork consist of? Aluminum? Sure looks like formed metal...

attachment.php

' The cover and fin on the Cobra was Fiberglass Dr.
By the early 1950's fiberglass was starting to come in to it's own in regards to boats. Touted as being "Maintenance" free and much cheaper and stronger then wood.
The cobra was CC first foray into it's use I believe.
Even rarer then the Cobra is the CC "Silver Arrows". These boats came along later(End of the 50's) and like the Cobra mixed wood hulls with a fiberglass. But even more Fiberglass on the Arrows.
I think that they only produced about 100 of the Arrows.
I believe that CC and many others production boat companies phased out of wood totally by 1965-66.
Here are two pics of an Arrow. One of it shows it under restoration.
Torchie

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 497_SILVER_ARROW.jpg
    497_SILVER_ARROW.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the explanation, Torchie. [cl

I'm more familiar with fiberglass boats and the Silver Arrow is clear evidence of things to come!

I've seen some butt-ugly freaks and some freaky cool boats with obvious automotive styling/design, including a couple examples I tried to buy, but those are another story for another place and time!

Latest posts

Back