Non-Trad. 46 Chevy truck ground up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westex_rat

My dad infected me with this disease of hot rod with his 26 T-roadster. Few trips in that thing and everyone whos been in it has built something of there own soon after. I wanted a truck, since well hell Im just a truck kinda guy, so we found this 46 cab, the previous owner hacked the hood up. So we're not sure we're gonna use it just yet. We decided to just build our own frame and make everything fit how I wanted instead of just working with what was there. So, I decided on a speedway spring-behind front end kit. Looks good, lil' pricey, but nice and already has front disc's. Im not a big traditional guy as im 24, so be aware this is not a decade specific or traditional build.
Now for some pics
Front end assembled-
088.jpg

Theres a laser cutter in tyler near dads place so we used them on all three cars so far, for front plates and anyother custom pieces we need, handy ppl to have around.

heres the front of the 2x4 where we notched it out and tapered it for the front end
089.jpg

while my dad was getting measurements and tools out, i decided to make the best of my time and gut the cab out to get ready for the floor notching to take place soon enough.
093.jpg

095.jpg

First off, we started on the front Z, as i wanted a very low stance and everything to be proportional, so we actually z'd a total of 6" in the front.
We laid out the lines and measurements on the floor, lil geometry refresher, and started hackin away.
103.jpg

When we got those cut and were sure they were equal we tacked them up and tacked to the front to start getting our caster and set-up for ride height
111.jpg

heres my $350 8.5" 10 bolt and ladder bar craigslist buy of the week, its a chris alston ladder bar/ coilover setup
113.jpg

Set the cab on to get clearance measurements to know where to start the rear Z. That and I just had to see the cab on somthing besides blocks!!
114.jpg

AND.... CHOP!
122.jpg

ready to start the rear Z! Notched out the main frame rail for the vertical post to sit nice and snug in, got some torch practice blowing holes to weld to while I was at it.
125.jpg

Dad finished up the front end while i was goofin off at the back end....
126.jpg

Wish it would stay nice and shiny like that...

Got the rear Z all squared away, we thought of just doing a step notch, but I wont be using the bed much anyways, and we were running out of metabo wheels, so we just did this... nice and strong, This is all just tacked up for now, we will go back over once everything in mocked up and we have everything done right....
128.jpg

130.jpg

131.jpg

Next we figured up the wheelbase, and rolled the rear end in to get a line and chopped off the excess tubing, ended up with a 131" wheelbase and a 58" bed length..
136.jpg

140.jpg

We just ran the ladder bar mounts through the frame to get the most possible strength and maintain a double shear. We are going to add plate and box up the mounts later.
like this
141.jpg

142.jpg

rear box plates on the Z
148.jpg

shock mounts
149.jpg

150.jpg

Checkin spring rates...
152.jpg

another of the rear ladder mounts
145.jpg

We trimmed 21 inches out of a 56 ford bed, and tacked it up to get a look at how it was all gonna turn out... Rolled her outside and took some shots, admired our 2 days of hard work and drank a beer...
153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

whats left of the stock hood, and a grille shell that was with the truck,
158.jpg

159.jpg

Thinkin I might just cut the louvers out of the bottom and make my own hood and put those in the new one somehow... Need a new grill shell too, if anyone has any idea's.

162.jpg

163.jpg

the bed chopped down...

Rolled the car back in and welded up the tranny cross member and motor mounts... Not sure exactly what motor im gonna use but luckily all Chevy small blocks mount the same... and I have a T-56 with some upgraded shift forks, another craigslist find...

motormounts.jpg

motormounts2.jpg

trannymount.jpg

Then I had to come home for Thanksgiving with the wifes family... So I gotta rebuild the bank account.... Headin back up after christmas for a week, so we should get some big progress if I get the money. Will finish up the cab work then and I hope to find some camaro seats by then, We are going to build our own gas tank to fit under the bed in the back behind the rear end... Battery box, etc... So, dont be afraid to comment, always lookin for ideas, Im thinkin of doin a carb converted LT1, for another kinda one off spin to this truck...

westex

Great looking start! They are very addictive. I've been hooked for about 23 years now and it's getting worst. Keep up the good work![;)

Looks like you got a good start on a sweet ride. Nice work on the frame. I have to admit I am a little jelous of your shop :) I got the great outdoors and my dad has a garage that is so small it is hard fitting a Geo Metro in there.

Looks good...., I think the grille looks good with the way the hood is cut. Good luck with your build [P

Nice work, I believe I would keep the hood grill combo and just drop the front of the cab a little to match body lines. Looks to be a little higher in the front, could just be the pics.

Thanks guys, when I finish this up, I hope to start on a impala, fairlane project, like the look of the old cars... hopefully ls1 with heat and air, more of a traditional style build, somthing for the wife to drive around....

How bout some of the rear wheels that finally showed up today, gonna go mount em up!!!
rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

and some of the hood and grill even with the body on the ground, the other pics earlier werent quite right, the grill was too low, i just had it sitting on a box to get a rough idea, it will sit more like this...
100.jpg

101.jpg

I think im going to cut the louvers out of the sides, make them out of new smooth sheet and make them a lil smaller, more subtle, and put the louvers on top and get rid of the hinge, just put a bar stock or somthin to keep a line down the center
The only thing that worries me about this hood/grille combo is i worry that when i chop the cab, it will get that "prowler" look, I want to keep it lookin like a truck, I may get conservative with the chop or not even chop it at all, I think im going to do flat black (duh) and red and silver pinstriping around the windows and hood... What you guys think?

And one of my dads so he doesnt get jealous...
109.jpg

Latest posts

Back