48 F1 LinkFord project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, been a while. I did get the old rear end off the truck. I have the Jag rear end set up under the frame now. Trying to figure out how I figure my ride hieght from here. I plan on using coil over shocks that are adjustable. Guess I probably need to buy them huh? I also plan on welding the rear suspension frame to my frame,after I box in parts if the frame.

Can you build a cradle that the IRS bolts to, as it appears to be a bolt-in unit?Looking good!

I'm envisioning a notched frame with wings that have mount points for the stock Jag mount points. Seems simple enough form here. :D

Ok, I removed the lower sheet metal skid plate that had the two big ol bushing moints sticking out. Now, I have just the differntial and the pivots to,moint.

So, I did get some stuff done today. Not finished, but did get the top support done,and boxed in some of the frame.

Attachments

• 0625191432a.jpg
    0625191432a.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
Now to the fun stuff. I am about to weld in the upper rear shock mounts ( using stock Jaguar struts and springs). I am not real sure how,much the truck will squat once I put it on the ground. I guess trial and error huh?

I am not real sure how,much the truck will squat once I put it on the ground. I guess trial and error huh?
I install a complete rear suspension, springs and all, out of a '90 Trans Am in an AD truck and it settled 2 1/2 to 3" from no weight on it to setting on the springs.

Perfect. Thats kind of what I thought. Here it is sitting on the ground with smaller tires on it than I plan to use.

Attachments

• 0627191105a.jpg
    0627191105a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 26
Guys, my apoligies for the sideways photos. I will do better next time. Ok, so I apparently have F2 front fenders on my F1. No biggy, but was ondering if any of you have added sheet metal and made F2 fenders into F1 fenders. Doesnt seem too hard. Just have to do the veryy same thing on both sides. hahaa. Also, I was thinking about welding the front sheet metal together as one. Giv eit a cleaner look . I also plan on removing front and rear bumpers and fabbing something a little different than the stock bumpers. I have a 4" drop axle ordered ,along with front disc brakes. Gonna go ahead a rebuild the front end while I am at it. I love the truck, and have been driving it quite a bit all year. But, it is time to make it everything I want it to be.

I have seen it done with mixed results. Works best if you can see a F 1 fender for correct wheel opening shape, size, etc. If that's what you are after.
The F series front fenders are real rust collectors. Are you sure yours isn't a F2 truck as the cabs are all the same.
[P [P [P
Torchie

I have seen it done with mixed results. Works best if you can see a F 1 fender for correct wheel opening shape, size, etc. If that's what you are after.
The F series front fenders are real rust collectors. Are you sure yours isn't a F2 truck as the cabs are all the same.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Torchie, it could be , but I doubt it.Everthing I see on the truck is F1 . It has a quuite long documented history dating back to the early 70's. The VIN also shws that it is a F1 . It looks like someone took fenders from an F2 or 3 , because I had to weld in a small patch on the front left fender where it looked like a clearance light was mounted. I ma ust break down and buy some aftermarket F1 fenders. I have all the stuff to shape metal in a crude fashion. Sand bag, and assorted mallets. I used to shape fuel tanks and fenders for bikes long ago.

Torchie, it could be , but I doubt it.Everthing I see on the truck is F1 . It has a quuite long documented history dating back to the early 70's. The VIN also shws that it is a F1 . It looks like someone took fenders from an F2 or 3 , because I had to weld in a small patch on the front left fender where it looked like a clearance light was mounted. I ma ust break down and buy some aftermarket F1 fenders. I have all the stuff to shape metal in a crude fashion. Sand bag, and assorted mallets. I used to shape fuel tanks and fenders for bikes long ago.

These old trucks do seem to get mixed and matched by the time they get to us.[ddd
"In a crude fashion" is my middle name...Or an great name for a shop.:eek: [ddd :D
I'd go for making them first. If your not happy you can always buy some.
[P [P [P
Torchie

If you go back to pages 3-5 of this thread, we actually discussed the fender openings before, and I dig up some internet photos and posted them on page 4. In my opinion, if you're just trying to replicate something that you can easily buy, your time is best spent elsewhere on the truck. It will be difficult to fill the fender opening and get it to look just right, especially if fenders are available. Looking at the lines and curves in the fenders, it would be a big challenge to get it right.

As far as welding and filling the seam in the front fenders, I would personally leave it. Old trucks like this flex a lot, and if you make that joint solid you're either inviting cracking there or moving the stress to other areas of the fender. At least now, it has room to move and shift.

So, the front suspension is not going to work. I kind of knew that a fe weeks after buying the parts. I may be able to sell the front suspension for another hot rod project that does not need such a wide frame. I guess my only option would be to purchase a 3" drop axle, then install disc brake conversion. I want the front a little lower,and that seems to be the best option at this time. I decided to re paint the truck to another color. Going with a real dark green ,almost black. I have been practicing my pinstriping skills, and am getting better ,and almost comfortable enough to do the work myself after painting the truck. The rear suspension is in the truck and the stance is ust what I want. The bolt pattern on the Jaguar is 5x 4 3/4 . So, my wheels will not work. I found 4 more wheels exactly like what I have on there now. Bought them real cheap. Gonna order the drop axle, then get that done, then ready for more paint.yehaaw

Got the front axle remived from the truck. Now its a waiting game ,waiting for a new drop axle to come in. That along with front disc brake conversion.

Got the fuel tank mounted. Used a tank out of a 75 Blazer. Fits just right

Attachments

• 0718190813.jpg
    0718190813.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 0716191522.jpg
    0716191522.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back